Up For Sale ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

JONATHAN GOLDSTEIN
The Cain Hoy preliminary approach to buy Tottenham Hotspur is being led by head of European investments Jonathan Goldstein.

Born in London, Goldstein went to Ilford County High School before studying law at Manchester University.

goldstein_3035902a.jpg

The 48-year-old became the youngest senior partner of a City law firm, aged 32, at Olswang and has worked for Heron International, Ronson Capital and Guggenheim Partners.

He is a non-executive director at M&C Saatchi and is a member of the Jewish Leadership Council.
"He is a non-executive director at M&C Saatchi and is a member of the Jewish Leadership Council."

At least he's jewish. That's a relief.

If this is the case then this all sounds like a massive pr stunt to mark their launch
You may be right. But the alternative is that they launched operations yesterday so that they can buy Spurs. I'm a little more leery of saying this is fake given the timing of these assholes starting operations in relation to the club announcing the stadium delay.

I have no idea. All I know is that in the few years since they bought the Dodgers, their payroll went from around $100 million to around $230 million. So that would seem to be their MO. During that time, they've gone from the middle of the pack to one of the top teams in the National League.

Why does this make me feel dirty, yet strangely intrigued.

My mind is telling me no but my body, my body's telling me yes.
So said a song many moons ago....does this make me bad?

Levy's supposedly held us back.....but do we want an Aston Villa / Randy Lerner scenario?...

:paulinhobored:

Don.t be silly . that's what they will tale the herd . but his one love like Lewis/Levy is making
money over everything .
Goldstein is their head of European ops and is a season ticket holder.

Do you think it likely that anyone that buys Tottenham or any club is in it for anything other than money?

Any buyer will be chasing the cash.

It doesn't seem clear whether the Guggenheim money is behind Cain Hoy or not so this comparison may be pointless but whatever.

The Guggenheim group bought the Los Angeles Dodgers two years ago for $2.15 billion. Since then, they've basically taken the Chelsea/City approach in regards to spending. It's not quite the same, because though baseball has no salary cap like football you can't just buy other teams players but they still have been spending obscene amounts in a short period of time. They also bought a decent amount of land around Dodger stadium. I have no idea what they are doing with it but maybe they are interested in our development project in addition to the team.

I've always been very pro-Enic, but if they sell us now I have to agree that they are shisters.
I always thought they hadn't been spending any money on transfers because they were saving for the stadium. If they just sell then they clearly have just been tight.

Enic have made it clear that the stadium will be built by investors money , not Tottenhams & definitely not Enic's . They have been tight for quite a while ... £36m outlay of their own cash over 13 years . If they do get anywhere near the £1b mentioned that's quite a tidy profit & some. Tight isn't the word but then again we should expect that from an investment company.

Enic have made it clear that the stadium will be built by investors money , not Tottenhams & definitely not Enic's . They have been tight for quite a while ... £36m outlay of their own cash over 13 years . If they do get anywhere near the £1b mentioned that's quite a tidy profit & some. Tight isn't the word but then again we should expect that from an investment company.
So why should we expect anything else in the future since it's an investment firm that could be buying us.

Before today the only things I knew about the Guggenheims is their museum and the fact that one of them dressed up in his dinner suit on the Titanic so that he could die like a gentleman...

So why should we expect anything else in the future since it's an investment firm that could be buying us.

No idea. I guess their parent company has a history in splashing the cash but Chris Hoy is an unknown quantity aren't they. Knowing our luck they'll be the 1st owners in make a soccer team a gridiron team... Shame we lost Dawson, cracking Quarterback :dawsonmean:

It doesn't seem clear whether the Guggenheim money is behind Cain Hoy or not so this comparison may be pointless but whatever.

The Guggenheim group bought the Los Angeles Dodgers two years ago for $2.15 billion. Since then, they've basically taken the Chelsea/City approach in regards to spending. It's not quite the same, because though baseball has no salary cap like football you can't just buy other teams players but they still have been spending obscene amounts in a short period of time. They also bought a decent amount of land around Dodger stadium. I have no idea what they are doing with it but maybe they are interested in our development project in addition to the team.

DING DING DING DING DING DING WE HAVE A WINNER

I don't ever want us to buy the league. But some proper investment and keeping our best players would be nice, eh?

I feel the same but realistically is that the only way to win it now, bearing in mind your Chelskis and Citehs? At least if we were taken over, money was thrown into it we wouldn't be able to splurge quite as freely as these plastic clubs because of FFP, and you still have to beat those other super rich clubs, so maybe it would therefore feel more earned?
I don't know. Maybe, maybe not.

I dont think mega cash is needed to challange top 4. The amount of cash to keep the likes of bale modric etc for 1-2 maybe 3 seasons would make us a top club. Just imagine if we kept Bale for another season. Prime time tv every weekend. Top sponsorship deals and tons of T-shirts sold. I get the fact that we need a new stadium and that we invested in a new training facility, but for the past 5 years weve been a selling club and not one that acts like a big club

Goldstein is their head of European ops and is a season ticket holder.

Do you think it likely that anyone that buys Tottenham or any club is in it for anything other than money?

Any buyer will be chasing the cash.
Believe it or not there a few even in today's game . Overall l agree that the majority are in for profit
but there are levels . Investment companies if we take our little example Uncle Joe Lewis puts
22 million and wants a billion sell. In my book that is obscene maybe for others who glory in financial
success , it is something to crow about., as there has not been much on the pitch this century.
This may be the new "Spurs way " but not for me.
So I have little confidence , at the moment it looks like for like. Maybe at best they will move the stadium
on as Lewis is very reluctant to dip into his 4 billion before he pops his clogs .

On Goldstein being a supposed season ticket holder, it would be interesting to confirm how long
he has been going, or how many games a season, if anybody has ever seen him .
Remember Levy was meant to be a supposed Spurs fan but was also seen occasionally at Arse
games. . With fans like that there may be no yellow brick road.
All I want is someone who has the will to let us keep our best players and
build a team , not one that self implodes every couple of years.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom