U-18/U-21/Loans/Development Squad (2011-2018)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Scotty does get the job and decides to take it maybe we could use Ipswich as a loaning club. Send out youngsters in need of first team football and someone like say Janssen

We've already got decent links with Ipswich - Bran Klugg (Ipswich Academy Manager) had to leave Ipswich where he had been for a decade or so when Roy Keane became Ipswich Manager and spent about 3 years working for John McDermott in Spurs academy before returning to Ipswich when Keane was fired (circa 2012). Klugg is once again Interim Manager after Mick McCarthy resigned.

I think that the Ipswich academy match is a result of Klugg working at Spurs for a few years - Ipswich opponents for their academy matches used to be ManU before that

Not sure Scott should take the Ipswich job after just a season of being a Spurs u18 coach, its just such a big step up, but with Gerrard getting the Rangers job after a season as Liverpool u18 coach, he might not see it that way

Last edited:
We've already got decent links with Ipswich - Bran Klugg (Ipswich Academy Manager) had to leave Ipswich where he had been for a decade or so when Roy Keane became Ipswich Manager and spent about 3 years working for John McDermott in Spurs academy before returning to Ipswich when Keane was fired (circa 2012). Klugg is once again Interim Manager after Mick McCarthy resigned.

I think that the Ipswich academy match is a result of Klugg working at Spurs for a few years - Ipswich opponents for their academy matches used to be ManU before that

Not sure Scott should take the Ipswich job after just a season of being a Spurs u18 coach, its just such a big step up, but with Gerrard getting the Rangers job after a season as Liverpool u18 coach, he might not see it that way

I would be surprised if he were to take the big step up but as you say with Gerrard it's not beyond him. Another link if at all was when Ipswich allowed us to use England u16 starlet Ben Knight for our u15's tournament in San Diego last season. And also back in 2016 they allowed the now Zimbabwean international Kundai Benyu to trial with us during the next gen cup in Holland.

I see that England have just scraped through (on goal difference!) into the the quaters of the u17 euros. Can't see them winning it this time round, think they lack that bit of quality. I can't understand why some of our lads didn't get called up, eg: Maghoma, Skipp, A.Shashoua, Markanday and even Bennett.

I would be surprised if he were to take the big step up but as you say with Gerrard it's not beyond him. Another link if at all was when Ipswich allowed us to use England u16 starlet Ben Knight for our u15's tournament in San Diego last season. And also back in 2016 they allowed the now Zimbabwean international Kundai Benyu to trial with us during the next gen cup in Holland.

Think Ipswich occasionally ask Spurs to take an Ipswich highly rated youth player to a tournament as part of the player development - Ipswich don't get the opportunity to take their youngsters to such high level youth tournaments.

EDIT: Well this is apparently refusing to load so I guess I'll write it up. It's a tweet from Ricky Sacks saying that Scott Parker was one of 11 men interviewed by Ipswich about becoming their new manager.

Very long list before they cut down to a short list. I hope he stays with the Academy (selfish) but surely he's still learning where he is now.

He's one you'd think would be a very good manager in future. Maybe part of the succession plan at WHL? Those of you who are losing hair and teeth will recall the Liverpool "Boot Room" of the 60's 70's 80's. Like a fucking conveyor belt of managers promoted from within. I'd like to think we're aiming for something similar. We have more of a philosphy/style/approach now, so continuity would make a lot of sense.

Spurs Odyssey Youth Match report - Stemwede Tournament Day One, 10.05.18
Day 1 Roundup Match reports

SV Rodinghausen
Team(4-3-3):- Freeman; Statham(Eyoma 24), Marsh, Tanganga(C), Hinds; Roles, Skipp (A. Shashoua 34), Duncan; Markanday, Griffiths(Tracey 30), S. Shashoua(Mukendi 37)

Scorer:- Roles 10, 26 (score 2-0)

Locomotiv Moscow
Team(4-3-3):- Austin; Eyoma, Dinzeyi, Tanganga(C), Hinds; Skipp(Duncan 40), Marsh, S. Shashoua(Roles 31); Tracey, Sterling, Griffiths.

Scorer:- Sterling 16 (Score 1-1)

Beat Sturrgart 3-0 (Sam Shashoua 2, Roles) in 3rd game.

4th match later today is against the strongest of the group, Werder Bremen

Spurs beat Werder Bremen 1-0 with a goal by Sam Sashoua to top the Group with 10 points (Werder Bremen 2nd with 7 pts).

We play Red Bull Brazil (who beat Glasgow Rangers 1-0 today to take 2nd place in the other group, Rangers 3rd and Fulham in top spot with 7 points) tomorrow at 11.30 (local time) in the first semi final.

Spurs beat Werder Bremen 1-0 with a goal by Sam Sashoua to top the Group with 10 points (Werder Bremen 2nd with 7 pts).

We play Red Bull Brazil (who beat Glasgow Rangers 1-0 today to take 2nd place in the other group, Rangers 3rd and Fulham in top spot with 7 points) tomorrow at 11.30 (local time) in the first semi final.
I don't keep tabs on youth like some, but Fulham seem to have a very good set up. I remember now being at Dagenham and Redbridge a few years ago, one of the few times I've been to a youth game. Fulham beat us comfortably. Hopefully they take some decent lads away from Chavski clutches.

I don't keep tabs on youth like some, but Fulham seem to have a very good set up. I remember now being at Dagenham and Redbridge a few years ago, one of the few times I've been to a youth game. Fulham beat us comfortably. Hopefully they take some decent lads away from Chavski clutches.

Fulham have had a very decent youth set up for a few years - I think they have an ex Head of Southampton Academy in charge and a couple of his colleagues at its core. They've done well recruiting too with Moussa Dambele (striker now at Celtic ex PSG) as well as Ryan Sessegnon and generally have very competitive youth sides, despite not paying at the same rate as Chelsea.

Re the main subject matter which was of money paid to young players. Huge problem as both Chelsea and ManCity are in a different league to everyone else in terms of Academy pay - top pay can be higher than for established PL players at other clubs.

If you look at Chelsea's youth sides they are usually far better than anybody else - but its still true that John Terry is the last Chelsea established first team player to come through their youth system, as they are awful at developing players from the youth system, and have wasted a generation of English players (and one of the reasons why England NT has been/is so poor as the best youth players never develop) . Current examples would be the feared youth strikers of Solanke and Abrahams - now in Liverpool reserves and on loan at Swansea with about 4 goals in 25 matches, but both at different clubs would have done far far better.

Chelsea in the last couple of seasons have started to blood some youngsters - but that is a result of Roman not pumping as much money into the first team so Chelsea may need to bring some youngsters through. But they need to slash academy pay to bring it back into line with other clubs......and something close to reality. They are one of the clubs paying £20k/£30k pw etc to players who never get close to the first team !

Fulham have had a very decent youth set up for a few years - I think they have an ex Head of Southampton Academy in charge and a couple of his colleagues at its core. They've done well recruiting too with Moussa Dambele (striker now at Celtic ex PSG) as well as Ryan Sessegnon and generally have very competitive youth sides, despite not paying at the same rate as Chelsea.

There recruitment has always seemed very good right up until the present day with the sessegnon twins, Matt o'Riley, Tayo Edun and Denis adeniran (Everton) all recent examples. I was at the Lane the last time our development squad played them back in 2015 and even then they had some really exciting players such as Plumain, Emerson Hyndman, Taggart and a certain Noe Baba who was hailed as one of the most exciting defenders to come out of Ireland even Man United were after him.

I don't know much about their coaching set-up there, but the recruitment in the 11-18 range at Fulham is second to none, anywhere. Chelsea get more talent but they use a scattergun and naturally get some hits. Given what they're competing against in London alone (2 of the best academies in the country plus 3 or 4 others), they are doing very well to do what they do.

I don't know who is in charge of youth recruitment there, but that person / those people are very good at their job. Would like them at Spurs. Combine their ability to pick out great talent with our ability to attract the best talent with our training ground would be a great combination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom