U-18/U-21/Loans/Development Squad (2011-2018)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like KWP - was impressed with what I saw from him in pre-season too. I think he'll be in and around our first team squad next season, really surprised he hasn't found himself a loan this year to be honest.

(Particularly WindyCOYS WindyCOYS ) Not sure this has been posted in here but it was my first look at Oliver Skipp (our U16 player) and I was very impressed what I saw. Was playing in CM and seemed to play with the composure of a 30yo.

This is a little cameo of his recent appearance for England U16's verses Brazil.

Did anyone see it? 0-2 defeat apparently. :harryhmm:

I watched the whole game. This is not the first time that I've thought the U21 team under Ehiogu does not seem to play the coherent zip zip press press pass and move football as coherently as most of the development sides of ours that I've watched over the last three or four years.

I'm not sure how much of that is down to Ehiogue, he's been a bit unlucky in that this group is a very transitional one and lacking the quality of input that players like Carroll, Bentaleb, Onomah, Pritchard, Kane brought all at the same time. Even Oduwa is out on loan.

The group is very CM heavy at the moment and we ended up with Amos (right footed CM) at LB, Walkes (who I'd always seen more as a deep lying CM) playing as a "10" with Winks and Lesniak in CM2.

Amos is a good Cm but just didn't really offer the balance of a proper left sided player, as a result everything was lop sided as the excellent KWP is constantly involved in the game down the right, and also had the vastly more experienced Townsend was on that side too.

Coulthirst played the lone striker role, and though he was lively and worked hard, he didn't really have the hold up physical fulcrum qualities of say a Kane, or the wit of Harrison.

Like I said, I think this group is a bit transitional. We have some really good players who have just graduated on from it, and some really promising players in the younger groups who I think we'll see fast tracked soon, in the mean time I remain unsure as to the coaching abilities of Ehiogu.

That said, this wasn't a terrible performance, the first half was quite even and they scored a lucky free kick at the very end of the half that was one of those whipped free kicks from wide angle that evades everyone and ends up bouncing and zooming in the far corner. We then utterly dominated the second half trying to eek out a goal - without creating much of quality - and were caught by a sucker punch counter attack.

I still rue the loss of Inglethorpe who I think was an excellent youth coach and should not been allowed to go.

Last edited:
Youngsters reach IMG Cup Final in Florida 20 December 2015 - News - tottenhamhotspur.com

Youngsters reach IMG Cup Final in Florida
Posted on 20 December 2015 - 14:02

Our Academy side made it through to the IMG Cup Final in Florida after holding Toluca to a goalless draw on Saturday night.

Up against a physical Mexican team who, like us, had won their first two games, we stood firm to ensure the points were shared and thus we topped the group on goal difference.

That means we’ll meet Maccabi Haifa in the tournament Final this evening (Sunday, December 20), where we’ll look to lift the trophy for the second consecutive year.

Under-18s Coach Kieran McKenna was pleased with the spirit on show from the boys in a very tough contest on Saturday.

“It was a very challenging night for the players against an older, very physical team,” he said.

“Toluca tried to be intimidating in the way that they played so for the young players in our squad to come up against that and to be able to get the result that we required to get to the Final was very pleasing.

“It was a solid team effort in terms of limiting their chances – it was a very stop-start game with a lot of fouls and set pieces but we competed very well, were brave in our challenges and also brave in terms of trying to get on the ball and make things happen.

“At the back, Japhet Tanganga stood out in an excellent back four unit with the bravery and quality of some of his defending and he was very well supported by Jaden Brown beside him and also Zenon Stylianides and Charlie Owens in front of them. We were very tough in the middle and attacking-wise the boys were brave in their passing and tried to get on the ball as much as they could.”

tol_instory.jpg

The game, once again featuring 40-minute halves, yielded few clear-cut chances at either end.

Toluca sent a handful of in-swinging free-kicks into our box in the first half with the wind behind them, but goalkeeper Brandon Austin came out to claim them authoritatively.

Marcus Edwards (pictured, above) had a penalty appeal waved away by the referee in the second period after being brought down in the box, while the same player set up Ryan Loft with a clever reverse pass – only for the front man to shoot wide of the near post.

Today’s Final kicks-off at 5.30pm local time.

Spurs: Austin, J Pritchard, Muscatt, Owens, Tanganga, Brown, Bennetts (Goddard 57), Stylianides, Loft, Edwards, Shashoua (Oteh 76).

That statement is very bitter. You wonder how come he'd expect to be getting games for the first team. He has been rated as a decent talent, but the signals have been that he was one that was expected not to make it, short of the quality of Onomah, Winks, Walker-Peters etc.

Oh, well, good luck to you Kenny! Hope you do well in football and that letting you go was the right decision for Spurs too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom