Trophy > Top Four

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I was lucky enough to go to Wembley in 1981, 1982 and 1991 for the FA Cup wins, 81 and 91 were pretty special because of the games, '82 were two pretty crap games but we still won. 87 was so painful and so was 82(League Cup loss against Liverpool).
I also went to both games of the 1984 UEFA Cup final against Anderlect. Now that was a final - think its the only time we've won a penalty shoot out. I also have a picture with me, Stevie & the UEFA Cup - boy, is it heavy, and round the base is a small enamel national flag of each winner, so our name is on it twice.
Yes, no doubt it is glorious to win a trophy and no-one can ever take it away from you.
However, times have changed and qualification for Champions League is as important, if not more important, than winning a trophy. The year we were in it was magical, and I want more!
Is it wrong to want both????!!!!!!

So you're denying that the Champions League is a massive source of money for clubs like Spurs..

What I'm saying is spurs are owned by ENIC...the I standing for Investment. Like all businesses the goal is to make money (profits), and the beauty of an Investment company is they don't even sell any products or anything....it's all spelled out in their name. They exist to make money!

The goal of the ENIC is to maximize revenue with the goal to either provide a steady stream of money or to sell at a much higher price then they invested (probably not that much if anything, as most likely the money spent to purchase the club was borrowed and the re-paid using revenues from the club)

I don't see an Investment company putting too much money into the club because they want a certain return every year from their investment and unlike us fans they don't care about winning anything.

As long as they can sell the fans on the hope of them winning anything (top 4 now equals a trophy...great marketing scheme they came up with there) then the fans will keep buying tickets.

Look at American sports or Woolwich/Man United for how things are done...the goal isn't winning it's selling you the hope of winning and the eventual goal is for ticket buying fans not to be needed in order to make a profit (you'll just be a bonus on any profits they already make). The English Premier League is getting a little closer to that goal every year

What I'm saying is spurs are owned by ENIC...the I standing for Investment. Like all businesses the goal is to make money (profits), and the beauty of an Investment company is they don't even sell any products or anything....it's all spelled out in their name. They exist to make money!

The goal of the ENIC is to maximize revenue with the goal to either provide a steady stream of money or to sell at a much higher price then they invested (probably not that much if anything, as most likely the money spent to purchase the club was borrowed and the re-paid using revenues from the club)

I don't see an Investment company putting too much money into the club because they want a certain return every year from their investment and unlike us fans they don't care about winning anything.

As long as they can sell the fans on the hope of them winning anything (top 4 now equals a trophy...great marketing scheme they came up with there) then the fans will keep buying tickets.

Look at American sports or Woolwich/Man United for how things are done...the goal isn't winning it's selling you the hope of winning and the eventual goal is for ticket buying fans not to be needed in order to make a profit (you'll just be a bonus on any profits they already make). The English Premier League is getting a little closer to that goal every year
Whilst I understand your argument I am not so sure I agree with it's conclusion.

If you look at the 10 richest football clubs they have all spent time in and out of the champions league over the past 10-15 years and they have all, at various times, been title contenders. Being a Champions League regular and title contender also increases your exposure. That, in turn, can generate extra profit. I personally believe that ENIC very much wants to go further because I believe that there is ultimately more money to be made at the top. More money, bigger stadium, more tickets sold, more merchandise from greater TV exposure. I certainly think there is a greater some to be made by ENIC with the correct investment.

Whilst I understand your argument I am not so sure I agree with it's conclusion.

If you look at the 10 richest football clubs they have all spent time in and out of the champions league over the past 10-15 years and they have all, at various times, been title contenders. Being a Champions League regular and title contender also increases your exposure. That, in turn, can generate extra profit. I personally believe that ENIC very much wants to go further because I believe that there is ultimately more money to be made at the top. More money, bigger stadium, more tickets sold, more merchandise from greater TV exposure. I certainly think there is a greater some to be made by ENIC with the correct investment.

I agree, and I think you could see some possible investment but nothing all out as the past several windows have showed us tons of money isn't going to be spent. My guess is the owner isn't going to put any of his own money into the club and without repeated year-in-year out champs league appearances then the revenue isn't secure enough to risk paying big transfer fees and even bigger player salaries.

I think ENIC is looking to be around the top 5, build a new stadium that is partly funded by sponsorship and partly funded by putting the debt back onto the club, then putting the club on the market as club with large guaranteed revenue streams (TV, corporate seats, luxury boxes) that is very close to the top to attract a large bid from a person or country of commodities and make a massive return on their original investment.

I would think this line of thinking will mean Woolwich will spend some money this Summer as while they realize they can't compete with Man United, nor Chelsea and Man City (especially now that PSG has shown a way around financial fair-play with their fake sponsorship deals)

they can help to secure 4th place (maybe better if a team slips up) this Summer with a few moves. This won't effect the pocket book of their American owner as their long-term sponsorships deals have finally expired and been renewed.

I think Spurs more likely to be fighting Liverpool for 5th than Woolwich for 4th

Tl;dr

I was lucky enough to go to Wembley in 1981, 1982 and 1991 for the FA Cup wins, 81 and 91 were pretty special because of the games, '82 were two pretty crap games but we still won. 87 was so painful and so was 82(League Cup loss against Liverpool).
I also went to both games of the 1984 UEFA Cup final against Anderlect. Now that was a final - think its the only time we've won a penalty shoot out. I also have a picture with me, Stevie & the UEFA Cup - boy, is it heavy, and round the base is a small enamel national flag of each winner, so our name is on it twice.
Yes, no doubt it is glorious to win a trophy and no-one can ever take it away from you.
However, times have changed and qualification for Champions League is as important, if not more important, than winning a trophy. The year we were in it was magical, and I want more!
Is it wrong to want both????!!!!!!

No Mrs P. It isn't but realistically we are a cup team.

All your memories are based on one magical night. Mine too. We have/had a proud heritage in the cups and this constant belief that somehow getting 4th will propel us into the promised land is bollocks imo. Yes we get more money but where does that money go? To players.

Do Benfica, Basel or even Dortmund pay more than us on wages? Knew.

I want us in the cl but I also accept the best we will get is the quarters. That is at best. Plus we simply cannot compete with the moneyed clubs in the pl.

My biggest annoyance is the fact we let the scum overtake so much. And it all boils down to one season. They signed Berkhamp we signed Armstrong.

It used to be us that signed the marquee players.

Lets get some cup wins and some glory back.

Our day is coming, have no fear of that. Maybe not this year or the next, but it's going to happen.

Football is cyclical and you will be proven right....eventually.

This is a big close season for us and many others. As its a wc year quality, driven players will want to play regularly. We should be able to capitilise on this but history doesn't feel with hope.

Bale does though. As do Lloris, Verts, Sandro, Daws, Kaboul and Walker.

That is as good a spine as most in the pl.

We just need the investment in a decent lb some top quality strikers and a maestro in the mf.

Probably about 50m outlay with 40m in wages. Can you see Joe sanctioning that?

I cant. So we will continue to hover around 5th and the fans will still hope and pay, pay, pay.

Go for the cups. Get some glory.

I didn't realise in 2008 how glorious winning that cup was, I'd love to win the League Cup. Just to hear that roar when the winner goes in! To see Dawson(?) lift the cup in the air and to spend the next week celebrating!

Football is cyclical and you will be proven right....eventually.

This is a big close season for us and many others. As its a wc year quality, driven players will want to play regularly. We should be able to capitilise on this but history doesn't feel with hope.

Bale does though. As do Lloris, Verts, Sandro, Daws, Kaboul and Walker.

That is as good a spine as most in the pl.

We just need the investment in a decent lb some top quality strikers and a maestro in the mf.

Probably about 50m outlay with 40m in wages. Can you see Joe sanctioning that?

I cant. So we will continue to hover around 5th and the fans will still hope and pay, pay, pay.

Go for the cups. Get some glory.

I do feel a bit more optimistic than that, I think we have a great squad of young talented players, who are only going to get better. I think we have great potential to push on up the table a bit.

With Ferguson going and Man City in a bit of a mess the top of the table isn't going to be such a one sided affair, now I don't think we'll be title contenders but we'll certainly be up there.

The fact we never got to play what many would consider our strongest starting 11 this season is also re-assuring. A few results go the other way and we're third.

ENIC don't back us in the way that City and Chelsea get backed. Had we been lucky enough to get RA we would have had in all probability the fantastic success Chelsea have had. However, many Spurs fans say they don't want success like that. Fair enough, so we'll carry on the ENIC way, one League Cup and regular top 6. If people are happy with that, and it isn't bad by any means, then fair enough.

But, as many know, I'm not happy with that. However, there's nothing I can do about it one way or the other. I'll carry on supporting the club, but have already decided I won't be going to any more games till we get a new stadium, should I live long enough :)

If the rich people who run the club won't put their money into it, I'm not putting the little disposable income I have into it either. Also the match going experience isn't anywhere near as enjoyable as it was for me compared to the excitement of the 60s and 70s. Much of it is doubtless due to my advancing years, but anyway I live in hope the new stadium may see a better atmosphere at the ground, and more reasonable prices.

I'd prefer us to have won the Europa Lge this season than get top 4, but I'll happily take top 4 now. If ENIC use that as a springboard to pump serious money intot the club/stadium then fine I'll re-evaluate them, but ATM to me they're doing okay, but that's about it.

There is a something strangely comforting about being happy with the odd cup win and being top 10, as our expectations are then managed more realistically ..... the only thing that sticks in the craw is that Le Scum are always above us ... if they were worse than us, I might be happy to settle. But in these days, if you want to attract/keep your best players, we need to aim higher.

Back
Top Bottom