Tottenham Hotspur have just finished 3rd in the Premier League

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The title of this thread says it all...
We should be REJOICING this week... we finished a place HIGHER than we DARED hope to believe we could in August (and no CL Quals)...
And yet somehow... SOMEHOW I feel so low at HOW we ended up 3rd, it's taken almost all the gloss off it.

Whilst we trudged out of St Janes' ... resigned to a 21st year of accepting out fate, clubs like Chelsea and Newcastle were celebrating the weekend away... WHAT THE FUCK FOR???
HOW DO WE MANAGE TO DO THAT?
And why can't WE have one... just FUCKING ONE END OF SEASON PARTY where it doesn't feel like the world has just fallen in, and God is wearing a Gooner top whilst sneering that dispicible gloating smug cunt grin that only Gooners manage to contort...

Pretended football didn't exist since the 3rd went in didn't even know it finished 5-1 until just now personally I've never been as disgusted at Spurs as I am right now a truly pathetic effort and confirmation this side doesn't have the balls to truly compete.

Has anyone ever lost 5-1 to an already relegated side before ? Woolwich will dine off this for the next 50 years it's fucking embarrassing.

I'm ready to take pelters for this, but I'll say it anyway.

We were never winning that league. Once it became clear Leicester weren't going to fold, the fairytale was made play out. They should have conceded four penalties in two games, 3 were blatant handballs, not to mention the Huth-rapes. Somehow they all went unpunished.

Now look at the what has happened. Leicester is now huge in Thailand. More millions pouring into the Fattest-cat league in the World.

I'm not saying it was a fix, but I do believe things were helped along

Agreed with this. Especially EL. I made it clear how I lost respect for Pochettino for fielding a weakened team against Dortmund. Almost taking the cowards way out.

I want us to win every game. We do double training sessions to be able to combat two games in a week.

We do double sessions to be able to put in as hard a shift as humanly possibly for 90 minutes. Whether you can do 90 minutes at that click twice a week is about restitution, not double sessions. And squad depth, which hopefully will be addressed in the summer.

The failure yesterday was partly attitude but definitely tactical. You don't go 3 at the back against a Benitez side EVER, I don't care if they've got 11 players or 7 on the pitch. The guy owes his career to counter attacking football on the break and we played right into his hands.

You can blame the players for their performance, but it's the tactics that killed us. Poch learned a number of lessons from his first season in charge to the second - let's hope he learned another lesson yesterday.

We didn't go to 3 at the back - Alderweireld went to right back and Dier to centre back.

Not from what I saw. We had 3 (arguably fewer) at the back after Walker went off

What we did was sacrifice the holding midfielder - but continued with the fullbacks attacking, Alderweireld's ability to sprint back is much worse than Walker's.

Those things combined made us look much more open.........but it's not really like losing 5-1 or 2-1 matters, we had to take risks.

But they won't be like previous competition purchased; Chiriches, Capoue, Stambouli etc. They'll be genuinely hungry talents that push those in the first team to perform or be dropped. I have faith in Poch.

I can't even bring myself to read it to be honest. I assume the worst...

Walker has been quality. Verts has been part of the best defence in the league this season. Davies as good a backup to Rose as you could expect. Son needs another season under his belt, and more first team football. He'll come good. Calling to get rid of Eriksen is just madness. 2nd top assister and most chances created in the league this season (I think) - and you want rid because of a couple of games? Knee-jerk doesn't even begin to explain it...

The rest I agree with.

Walker has had the odd good game and is a superb athlete

Not enough and if you want proof of his attitude have another look at Hazard's goal when he played a one two with Costa and Walker just trotted behind him making no effort to mark or put a meaningful challenge in.
Then his ridiculous kick out at Pedro where he was lucky not to receive a straight red!
Not convinced?
Then look at Newcastle's 2nd when, again, his positional sense and desire went missing!
Not good enough and he doesn't learn making the same mistakes!

Agree about my knee jerk reaction about Eriksen, Son may come good and, at least Davies made an effort on Sunday!

It's an odd argument about 'turning our noses up' at a Competition... surely playing the Youth team in the so called 'lesser Comps' makes an element of sense, as they will be EAGER to impress and push for a place in the 1st team... and as such
.. put in a fucking performance that may not win the game, but they'll certainly die trying... unlike SUNDAY!

Carroll and Mason are no longer youth players eager to impress...they are adequate squad players at best, and seeing as our two best midfielders were suspended due to sheer stupidity, Mason and Carroll got called in to plug a gap... disastrously as it turns out, but those are the only tools we had left in the box!
The fact Verts, Walker and most inexplicably Lloris have let us down in recent weeks proves that the example being set by the 'older pros' is one of; CL secured... job done, go home early...' rather than trying to surpass even THAT achievement with the relative luxury of 3 games to go.

What does that show the youngsters... that finishing 2nd doesn't really matter, 'cos Winning the league or finishing ahead of the Arse wasn't in the contract... 4th was the aim, so we'll leave it there!

It's a shame the players couldn't take it upon themselves to work it out.

Yes but do we need too many changes?
We need to add not take away.

The main ones that keep coming up to get rid are Fazio, Mason, Bentelab and Carroll.

All I'm saying is that a few more need to be considered

Will be very interesting seeing our squad at the start of next season

I'm not melting and think it's been a successful season but the last 3.5 games have been unacceptable and a few of our senior players need to look hard at themselves!

Poch has a reputation for being ruthless

We'll see!

:pochserious:

If anyone should feel embarrassed it's Woolwich. The year that City and Chavs go missing, they fall from the top spectacularly and lose the title.
We, however, were never at the top. We were always behind. Yet we played better than them all but 4 games, WBA, CFC, SFC and Newcastle, they had WBA -who didn't turn up - Norwich, Man City and Villa.
I am sure we would have got 3 points from Villa and Norwich at home even without Ali and Dembele.
Yes it's fucking sad we didn't finish above them, but remember this squad is far from the finished article.
The only two who could hold their heads up on Sunday were Lamela and Kane. We nearly did it, but the shit first half fucked us. It was unacceptable, but there is a reason why. The whole team must act as a unit. It has been until it has to suffer replacements. We then look like a different team, especially without the two who were missing.
They have 4 DM, we have a CB trying out in his first year. We have nobody to replace Dembele. They have Coquelin, Atrteta, Flamini and Elneney they could call ball winners.
Dier was brutally exposed by a Mason who has been fucked by injuries and couldn't atm press his trousers. I have been a fans of his, but since coming back from another injury he has looked miles off the pace and a liability. Jumping into what become last gasp tackles in midfield.
It was clear form Saints at home when Claise and Wanayma run midfield.
We were just lucky we never suffered any long term injuries to more than one key player. They, the mugs from Plumstead, have a massive squad.
So, let's not be too pissed off.
We all knew the squad was lacking, if we kept in check with reality, that was evident in Europe and cup games.
Maybe this has done as a favour. We need to strengthen with players who can come in and do a job. It has been proven now.
Just let it sink in, Dembele, the underachiever, and Ali, the kid from league one, were fucking awesome. We need two like players who can do just as good a job, A CB and another forward.
Poch has got to be ruthless and Levy needs to back him.

Sick at finishing one point behind those cunts but it occured to me this morning had we taken 12 points from the last 4 games we'd have finished 1 point behind Leicester which would have been a real gutter.

Sick at finishing one point behind those cunts but it occured to me this morning had we taken 12 points from the last 4 games we'd have finished 1 point behind Leicester which would have been a real gutter.

That's mental actually, I think that would have hurt for a lot longer as well.

Walker had a few poor games towards the end (as did many). Up until then, he was solid defending and going forward, and was a credit to the best defence in the league.

I still believe you're allowing the final few games could your judgement of his season as a whole. I would like to see a post where you were pulling him apart during the season.

I believe I have both praised and criticised Walker in the past but, unlike some sad twats on here, I can't be arsed to troll through my posts for evidence but I note that you haven't commented on the two examples I've provided!

We need a better RB who, although fast and can occasionally put in a tackle, has no positional sense, often doesn't track back and when he gets in a position to cross 9 times out of 10 can't do so!

He wd do well at Watford, Sunderland, Hull etc and is a nice lad etc but for we want to be we have to do better!

Yes I know he's in Roy Hodgson's plans but so was Mason who wd also do well at the aforementioned clubs

Back
Top Bottom