Tottenham Hotspur have just finished 3rd in the Premier League

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Lets get some perspective here, lads.

As one of our own said yesterday, we need to look at the bigger picture. Yes, it's a poisoned knife to the heart to be pipped by our neanderthal neighbours for the nth time too many, but lets try and rejoice in one simple fact that they cannot take away from us:

Spurs just finished 3rd in the Premier League. Lads, it's Tottenham, who just finished 3rd in the Premier League. And, barring the last month, looked bloody exciting doing it.

Would you have taken that at the start of the season? Absolutely
Did you think we'd be in a genuine title challenge if you'd been asked a few years ago? Absolutely not
Can we challenge again for major honours with a couple of quality additions to the squad? Absolutely
Can we offer Champions League football and working under one of the most exciting young managers in football? Absolutely
Do we have a solid foundation of management, coaching, facilities and a world class new stadium on the way? Abso-fucking-lutely

This team is so young and has so much more to learn and grow. If this team, youngest in the Premier League, can finish 3rd...no sky is the limit.

Fuck Woolwich. They've been dealt a huge bucket of paste and wallpaper on offer at B&Q to paper over some pretty massive cracks by finishing above us. Let them keep the expert in failure. Cue #WengerOut next March, as per fucking usual. They are right to fear us. We might have our day in the sun, we might not. Just be thankful you're not one of the legion of gooners who claim North London "has always been red". Know your checkered history. It's all on Wikipedia, you clowns.

Fuck Chelsea. What more need be said about that billionaire fuelled empty husk of a football club. Their esteemed (foul-mouthed, disabled bay using, racist) captain felt the need to dig at us for not winning the league, despite his own club mounting the most pathetic defence of a Premier League title in history. And their fans applauded it. Oh to be so blind...

Chins up, lads. We support Tottenham Hotspur, and we love the shirt.

You're not stating anything we don't know. But it doesn't change the pain of the implosion.
I didn't see the game yesterday (thank God) but the implosion has been grim viewing. Since Stoke we have looked a totally different team.

However.....there are positive to take.

We exposed the Chavs as a shower of toxic bastards, and we can see that they know that they have a new challenge that they don't like and are frightened of. I'd like to think that in the same situation next year (2-0 up at half time) we'll let them do their pissy antics while we keep the foot on the throats and suffocate them. In the case of Fabric-arse, literally put the foot on the throat....

We exposed the lie that Woolwich aren't worried about us, they are, and big time. Plus we've just done them a big favour because the crusty old whinging fart will still be in a job next year. So my advice to the Woolwich fans is simple....don't put the "Whinger out" placards too far out of reach, you'll need them again next season.

We showed we can not only give as good as we get from the "Big boys" but we can give them a doing too. No more do you fear the top teams, in fact, bring them on.

Yes, finishing 2nd would have been great, but remember one thing. Woolwich were favourites for the Premier League this year, they finished one point above us on the last day of the season.....if we hadn't had that collapse, we would have been 8 or 9 points clear of them.

We've got the boss tied down long term. We've got our big names pretty much tied down long term, so there is only one thing to do. Regroup, strengthen and go again.

There is no big 4 anymore, and if there is....we are certainly in it.

As one of our own said yesterday, we need to look at the bigger picture. Yes, it's a poisoned knife to the heart to be pipped by our neanderthal neighbours for the nth time too many, but lets try and rejoice in one simple fact that they cannot take away from us:

Spurs just finished 3rd in the Premier League. Lads, it's Tottenham, who just finished 3rd in the Premier League. And, barring the last month, looked bloody exciting doing it.

Did you think we'd be in a genuine title challenge if you'd been asked a few years ago? Absolutely not
Can we challenge again for major honours with a couple of quality additions to the squad? Absolutely
Can we offer Champions League football and working under one of the most exciting young managers in football? Absolutely
Do we have a solid foundation of management, coaching, facilities and a world class new stadium on the way? Abso-fucking-lutely

This team is so young and has so much more to learn and grow. If this team, youngest in the Premier League, can finish 3rd...no sky is the limit.

Fuck Woolwich. They've been dealt a huge bucket of paste and wallpaper on offer at B&Q to paper over some pretty massive cracks by finishing above us. Let them keep the expert in failure. Cue #WengerOut next March, as per fucking usual. They are right to fear us. We might have our day in the sun, we might not. Just be thankful you're not one of the legion of gooners who claim North London "has always been red". Know your checkered history. It's all on Wikipedia, you clowns.

Fuck Chelsea. What more need be said about that billionaire fuelled empty husk of a football club. Their esteemed (foul-mouthed, disabled bay using, racist) captain felt the need to dig at us for not winning the league, despite his own club mounting the most pathetic defence of a Premier League title in history. And their fans applauded it. Oh to be so blind...

Agreed

This thread has made me feel better.

That, and the Gooner family members in the office downplaying finishing 2nd as they're embarrassed how they celebrated it.

It means so much more to them.

We're gutted at finishing 3rd. How far has Poch taken us...

I am going to take all summer to get over this. If it was a one off it would be fine, but it's the fact that when we come close to achieving something we always find a way to underachieve and do ourselves in. What about next season when we are five points clear with five games to go and instead of winning our games like Leicester just did we bottle it and lose the title by a point to some cunts, probably Woolwich? There remains, even now, a fundamental problem with our clubs mental identity.

The only positive for me was our managers interview. The result hurt him, he talked of it being difficult to go home and face his wife and children. He'd been crying by the looks of things. He said we must work to improve our mentality so that it never happens again. I can only say that Poch is a very good manager and he will be totally focused on this problem now.

Us fans have every right to feel disappointed with the team for what happened at Newcastle. This season offered so much promise yet to implode in the manner that we did was just soul-destroying. All we had to do was to get a point against a side who were already relegated and had absolutely nothing to play for. You can forgive a team for failing after trying their best but you cannot forgive a team for failing to do a professional job. And that’s what happened. We didn’t behave in a professional way. Had we done that, we would have kept our heads, put out a solid performance and come away with, at the very least, a draw. But what we got, in Mauricio Pochettino’s words, were a group of players already thinking about their holidays.

That's not good enough.

When you set the standards high, you have to be continuously rising up and hitting them. It’s not okay to say “well we’ve been doing that for 34 out of the 38 matches this season so…”

It shows a real lack of respect and professionalism when you fail your job in the most irresponsible way. We were absolutely humiliated yesterday. We went from being title challengers to being “Spursy”. The players have to know that what happened yesterday is now not good enough for us. If we want to be up there competing with the very best then those sorts of performances are completely unacceptable. Yes we will lose some matches but it has to only be when we’ve given it our absolute all. That didn’t happen yesterday.

Overall I feel more than satisfied with the season but the end has left a soul taste for me.

Last edited:
I am going to take all summer to get over this. If it was a one off it would be fine, but it's the fact that when we come close to achieving something we always find a way to underachieve and do ourselves in. What about next season when we are five points clear with five games to go and instead of winning our games like Leicester just did we bottle it and lose the title by a point to some cunts, probably Woolwich? There remains, even now, a fundamental problem with our clubs mental identity.

The only positive for me was our managers interview. The result hurt him, he talked of it being difficult to go home and face his wife and children. He'd been crying by the looks of things. He said we must work to improve our mentality so that it never happens again. I can only say that Poch is a very good manager and he will be totally focused on this problem now.
I might be wrong, but I think the team bought so much into the "we can do it" that when we didn't the heads just went. No coincidence that we lost the two games without Dembele and Alli. That's the big challenge for the boss. Finding two midfielders who can rotate with these two and not cause performance to drop.

No I would not take 2 points from 12 no matter where we were in the league. Unacceptable. Scum have cracks. Things are so so bad yet it can never be so bad that they finish below spurs. That leaves you with confidence? The mental block that has been them being above us every year will go into next season. This year everyone waited for that spursy collapse. It didn't happen. Then it did. What will change next year. This was a chance to get rid of that mental block, and the complete collapse to allow something that is unlikely but is mathematically possible. Next year we will remember this year. One draw one defeat and everyone will go oh here we go again. That will be on the players minds as it was again this year. Cannot cope under pressure when things don't go your way (2nd halfs of the wba and Chelsea games) and feel sorry for yourself rather them remembering what we are capable off. As this is still evident in our mentality I can't see us winning a league title. I think we will be fighting for a top 4 place next season when city and Chelsea improve. Back to normal when scum and us are going for 4th place along with utd. Utd will be shit and we will bottle it. Scum will be handed it. The difference with this season is that the slump came late enough to completely fuck up CL football.

Us fans have every right to feel disappointed with the team for what happened at Newcastle. This season offered so much promise yet to implode in the manner that we did was just soul-destroying. All we had to do was to get a point against a side who were already relegated and had absolutely nothing to play for. You can forgive a team for failing after trying their best but you cannot forgive a team for failing to do a professional job. And that’s what happened. We didn’t behave in a professional way. Had we done that, we would have kept our heads, put out a solid performance and come away with, at the very least, a draw. But what we got, in Mauricio Pochettino’s words, were players already thinking about their holidays.

That's not good enough.

When you set the standards high, you have to be continuously rising up and hitting them. It’s not okay to say “well we’ve been doing that for 34 out of the 38 matches this season so…”

It shows a real lack of respect and professionalism when you fail your job in the most irresponsible way. We were absolutely humiliated yesterday. We went from being title challengers to being “Spursy”. The players have to know that what happened yesterday is now not good enough for us. If we want to be up there competing with the very best then those sorts of performances are completely unacceptable. Yes we will lose some matches but it has to only be when we’ve given it our absolute all. That didn’t happen yesterday.

Overall I feel more than satisfied with the season but the end has left a soul taste for me.

Spot on. The discipline in wba and Chelsea game and performance last week and yesterday show that when the pressure is on we will go missing. Not much confidence for next season. We definitely won't be going for a league title. The slump will affect us going into next season. What a great chance to finally get the mental block of never being able to finish above them even when we have had some big gaps on them over the years. It will be the same next year. If we, during any part of the season, have a gap, we will always be thinking about what happened going into every game. Even if we had scrapped it by goal difference. That would have made all the difference. Until we finally do it, no matter who we have playing for us or managing us they will always be reminded of the history. So the team owed is to themselves, coaching staff and fans as well as the club as a whole to be professional. Yesterday they could not be added at all. Only lamela son and Kane really ran and tried. The defending for the first two goals said it all. Yes we are in CL great. Mentality still the same. I'm sceptical about next season already. Just because of the way we finished this one. It's never a new season when you are reminded of history

One thing we have to remind ourselves is our players are not fans like us. (besides Kane) Most of them couldn't give a fuck if they finished above Woolwich. Sure they might say they do, but they don't really feel the same about it as we do.

I think it was natural after the Chelsea result, our heads dropped and a lot of the players mentally checked out.

That being said these are still highly paid professionals and the effort shown the last 3 matches was totally unacceptable. Just going through the motions. Overall, it was a very successful season, however it is hard not to be left with a sour taste on how it ended.

This thread has made me feel better.

That, and the Gooner family members in the office downplaying finishing 2nd as they're embarrassed how they celebrated it.

It means so much more to them.

We're gutted at finishing 3rd. How far has Poch taken us...

Fine with Poch, apparently according to the ITK (maybe true or false) he is beyond fuming and ripped the players to pieces after the game and was genuinely shocked at how players he trusted let him down.

I am still hurt from what happened. The silver lining is that Poch now knows after these few games the real squad when it's under pressure or when it has little to play for.

I wouldn't be surprised if we bought 5-6 first teamers in the summer to build real competition after this and moved out the weaker players. It could speed up our development as a team.

No I would not take 2 points from 12 no matter where we were in the league. Unacceptable. Scum have cracks. Things are so so bad yet it can never be so bad that they finish below spurs. That leaves you with confidence? The mental block that has been them being above us every year will go into next season. This year everyone waited for that spursy collapse. It didn't happen. Then it did. What will change next year. This was a chance to get rid of that mental block, and the complete collapse to allow something that is unlikely but is mathematically possible. Next year we will remember this year. One draw one defeat and everyone will go oh here we go again. That will be on the players minds as it was again this year. Cannot cope under pressure when things don't go your way (2nd halfs of the wba and Chelsea games) and feel sorry for yourself rather them remembering what we are capable off. As this is still evident in our mentality I can't see us winning a league title. I think we will be fighting for a top 4 place next season when city and Chelsea improve. Back to normal when scum and us are going for 4th place along with utd. Utd will be shit and we will bottle it. Scum will be handed it. The difference with this season is that the slump came late enough to completely fuck up CL football.
most likely, this will have been our best chance of winning the title in our lifetimes.
so if the players lose their heads when they can't win the title, poch has a lot of work to do!
changing from fighting for the title, to fighting for 4th will be hard for a lot of our players to take.
they will have to get used to it quick.
& they will have to start not seeing anything but first as pointless & not worth fighting for.

Back
Top Bottom