Top 4 - struggling to care?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

CL will do nothing for the football team

It would do a lot for the business

So I too am struggling to care

I'm more bothered by the garbage football and no trophies than I am about getting top 4

I'm putting this out there mainly to see if I'm the only one or if others feel the same as me - but currently I just really don't care whether or not we make the Champions League places next season or not. In the past, from the first time we did it under Redknapp right up until with Conte and that big win over Woolwich, it has always felt like a huge deal. But this season it just seems something is different, and I'm going to try to briefly summarise a few reasons why I think this is the case.

If I'm being honest, I think the Europa League is currently much more our level, and a tournament we have a genuine chance of winning. In the past we've been guilty of not taking it seriously, but it seems to have risen in stock slightly over the past few years. Just look at the quarter-finalists now: I'd say Liverpool and Milan are bigger clubs than us, we're bigger than West Ham and Atalanta, and we're around the same level as Benfica, Marseille, Roma and Leverkusen. Essentially, it's where we should be, and I'd much rather have a good run there than be knocked out of the Champions League early on or disappoint in the round of 16.

I also am starting to feel a general apathy around the Champions League. That 2018/19 season was an absolute dream, but in hindsight seems like a once-in-a-lifetime series of events that may never be bettered. I know the typical arguments that will be thrown around in support of being in the UCL: we'll receive X more money, we'll be able to attract better players, we'll play bigger teams. But that just doesn't excite me anymore. We've been there, done it plenty of times before, and it's not made a difference to my enjoyment of supporting the club, minus the odd glamorous night against big opposition (and look what happened against the likes of Bayern). Give me an FA Cup win any time over progressing past the group stage before meekly bowing out of the UCL round of 16. If Levy's pockets are slightly thinner as a result, I'm ok with it.

Would be interested to hear everyone else's thoughts, and perhaps it's partly to do with the fact that 5th place could still be enough, but compared to the run-ins of the past when we've been going for UCL places, it all just seems a bit... meh at the moment. Am I wrong?

I think every serious fan wants us to be in the Champions League.

But that doesn’t mean you can’t want us to actually win a trophy as well. I don’t see why the 2 are mutually exclusive. We just announced revenues of half a billion plus so the notion a club with our finances can’t compete on multiple fronts is absurd.

What I don’t like is celebrating top 4 as though it’s a trophy. It’s not, just accept it for what it is.

Classic spurs moment coming up. Win tomorrow and we’ve not only put ourselves in a great position to come 4th but we’ve probably put ourselves out of reach for any one else vying for fifth.

bottles GIF

Bit condescending there, mate. Bloke's taken the time to articulate his thoughts and all you can do is result to the MELT label.
Sorry but I find it all a bit melty.

Why wouldn't any Spurs fans want us to finish as high as possible?

It's the contradictions that get me...

Don't want us in the Champions League because 'we've not got a chance to win it' but attack the club for no ambition.

Ok so go in Europa where we might have a chance but whinge about 'Thurs nights playing farmers affecting our league form'.

Say we need to take all trophies seriously but advocate for not giving a fuck the rest of the season.

It's because we all know the owners won't use CL qualification as a springboard to kick on and compete for major honours. They'll use it as a springboard to bolster the spreadsheet and increase our annual profit.

Anyone who claims otherwise is either completely deluded or simply lying to themselves

Not just the champions league but modern football in general. Just built around making money these days.

Anyway, of course I want spurs in it as it means we are doing well but given the choice I would rather have fa cups or league cups than our fourth place trophy.

Back to my first point, our club is run by accountants so we know where the priorities are.

I always want Spurs to do well and win every game. But I genuinely detest modern football and everything associated with it.

In a nutshell, if we get in the CL I hope we do as well as possible, if we don't get in, I really don't care.

Let's win a League Cup or FA Cup (or both) before we start fretting too much over the CL.

Last edited:
Was chatting to a mate yesterday about spurs
- going over those games you will remember for ever.

Madrid at Wembley, crouchie in Milan, Bale against Inter, Ajax away, the sterling VAR call.

All of these happened due to us finishing Top 4.

Can anyone name 5 Europa league nights that matched those for drama? Ones you can remember easily that you get goosebumps thinking about?

Top 4 is where it’s at. Anything else is just accepting mediocrity. Fuck that.

I want some more CL memories. I don’t want to be a Goldilocks football club.

“CL is too hard!! Conference league is too shit!!!Europa league is just right!!!”

Fuck off!! Top 4s our everything!!! Say it with pride.

The problem is i dont think it matters if we're in it or not in terms of going up a level player wise. We've never pushed on once we've qualified for it. There just seems little or no desire to use it as a platform to go that extra yard to properly challenge for the title.

Whether we finish 4th, 5th or 6th who can honestly say they see anything other than another fight for top 4 this time next season? I still hope we get 4th but its been groundhog day for the best part of 20 years now since Jols first full season in 05/06 give or take the odd special or crap season.

This.

I’d like it to actually mean something. We get CL the club looks to bring in Isak/top striker, top winger and decent CM and we set up for competing for the title/CL next season. It has to have a meaning, a reason behind it.

If it’s just to make up the numbers I’d rather be in the EL and try and win that.

You get what you deserve. I didn't expect Villa to win today but credit to them..they've performed well.
We have tough fixtures ahead of us but if we perform then we win and deserve top 4. We fail, then we didn't deserve it

I said it during the Luton game, I'm not that excited by it really. It was great to beat Woolwich to it the other year, beating Villa to it doesn't really do much for me. It's not a transformative thing for the club like maybe we felt back in the day before Man City became what they have.

We have been there and done it and we are still kind of the same club that loses Carrick/Modric/Bale/Kane. We recover from that, we had a window under Poch where we almost punched beyond. We have to hope Ange can take us beyond trying to nick a top 4 spot too. But it's hard to argue that our club is set up for anything more than that.

Back
Top Bottom