Top 4 - struggling to care?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm putting this out there mainly to see if I'm the only one or if others feel the same as me - but currently I just really don't care whether or not we make the Champions League places next season or not. In the past, from the first time we did it under Redknapp right up until with Conte and that big win over Woolwich, it has always felt like a huge deal. But this season it just seems something is different, and I'm going to try to briefly summarise a few reasons why I think this is the case.

If I'm being honest, I think the Europa League is currently much more our level, and a tournament we have a genuine chance of winning. In the past we've been guilty of not taking it seriously, but it seems to have risen in stock slightly over the past few years. Just look at the quarter-finalists now: I'd say Liverpool and Milan are bigger clubs than us, we're bigger than West Ham and Atalanta, and we're around the same level as Benfica, Marseille, Roma and Leverkusen. Essentially, it's where we should be, and I'd much rather have a good run there than be knocked out of the Champions League early on or disappoint in the round of 16.

I also am starting to feel a general apathy around the Champions League. That 2018/19 season was an absolute dream, but in hindsight seems like a once-in-a-lifetime series of events that may never be bettered. I know the typical arguments that will be thrown around in support of being in the UCL: we'll receive X more money, we'll be able to attract better players, we'll play bigger teams. But that just doesn't excite me anymore. We've been there, done it plenty of times before, and it's not made a difference to my enjoyment of supporting the club, minus the odd glamorous night against big opposition (and look what happened against the likes of Bayern). Give me an FA Cup win any time over progressing past the group stage before meekly bowing out of the UCL round of 16. If Levy's pockets are slightly thinner as a result, I'm ok with it.

Would be interested to hear everyone else's thoughts, and perhaps it's partly to do with the fact that 5th place could still be enough, but compared to the run-ins of the past when we've been going for UCL places, it all just seems a bit... meh at the moment. Am I wrong?

CL will do nothing for the football team

It would do a lot for the business

So I too am struggling to care

I'm more bothered by the garbage football and no trophies than I am about getting top 4

We don’t lack anything except enough depth to sustain the outstanding performances we’ve seen when our starting XI is healthy and in form.

Other than that we quickly revert from credible attacking team to average side when fielding too many injuries.

I've been like that for about 3 seasons.

But at least it gives us something to play for in these last 8 games. Otherwise the season would have been over months ago.

This club needs to be going deep in cup competitions and winning pots. Until we start doing that its all going to be a bit meh and I feel more people coming over to the ENIC out side every season that passes.

Won't lose sleep if we end up in Europa but would be happy to back in the top tier of football playing against top teams rather than your haribo fc and the like

Always want to finish as high as possible and do as well as possible, but being honest we tend to qualify for these things and then not really invest. And one season aside, we have basically plodded about and achieved fuck all in Europe over the better part of the last 15 years +. So what’s the fucking point really ?

We even managed to lose to Slovenian part timers not that long ago. It’s not really why I support Spurs, the glory glory nights are long since a nostalgia act.

Pretty much this.

We ain't got what it takes and no idea where we get it.

Not just money but so many things..

Getting hard to care too much but equally not easy to care too little.

Another season soon over.

I will add that if the thought of Spurs playing the best teams doesn't excite you anymore then you prob need to find a new hobby.

The worst parts of this season have been the long breaks between matches.

Get them filled with midweek nights against Madrid or Juve or Bayern instead of random teams.

Agree and disagree.

This season is a dead end regardless of getting CL. If we don't win things then it's not a successful season. Or, if we think Top 4 is a success by itself then we are a small-time outfit.

The club is in limbo between aiming to be a big club and now having to go and be one. Personally, I will believe as long as it's mathematically possible every season that we can be a big club and win things.

I don't agree about the Europa and our level stuff. I'd love to win the Europa but the level and entertainment of the CL has been overrated for years. We got to the final and there is no reason IMO that we shouldn't be aiming to get back there and win it.

Finish as high as possible.

CL next season > A stern test and some big games to look fwd to.
EL next season > Go all out to win it.

I will add that if the thought of Spurs playing the best teams doesn't excite you anymore then you prob need to find a new hobby.

The worst parts of this season have been the long breaks between matches.

Get them filled with midweek nights against Madrid or Juve or Bayern instead of random teams.
Just happy to make up the numbers and play the big teams FC....

Bet you were pro Superleague as well

I said it during the Luton game, I'm not that excited by it really. It was great to beat Woolwich to it the other year, beating Villa to it doesn't really do much for me. It's not a transformative thing for the club like maybe we felt back in the day before Man City became what they have.

We have been there and done it and we are still kind of the same club that loses Carrick/Modric/Bale/Kane. We recover from that, we had a window under Poch where we almost punched beyond. We have to hope Ange can take us beyond trying to nick a top 4 spot too. But it's hard to argue that our club is set up for anything more than that.

It's because we all know the owners won't use CL qualification as a springboard to kick on and compete for major honours. They'll use it as a springboard to bolster the spreadsheet and increase our annual profit.

Anyone who claims otherwise is either completely deluded or simply lying to themselves

Bit condescending there, mate. Bloke's taken the time to articulate his thoughts and all you can do is result to the MELT label.
Sorry but I find it all a bit melty.

Why wouldn't any Spurs fans want us to finish as high as possible?

It's the contradictions that get me...

Don't want us in the Champions League because 'we've not got a chance to win it' but attack the club for no ambition.

Ok so go in Europa where we might have a chance but whinge about 'Thurs nights playing farmers affecting our league form'.

Say we need to take all trophies seriously but advocate for not giving a fuck the rest of the season.

Back
Top Bottom