Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Barcelona are going to look for a Center back in the summer and I'm seriously worried about them chasing Alderweireld, he honestly fits their system perfectly. His passing is one of the best I've seen for a spurs player never mind a defender, he keeps possession in key and risky areas, he's tall and can be a threat at corners..

and I'm usually quite unbiased but he is honestly the best defender in the league and by some margin..

Not only that but he's our most important outfield player. I tend to value Defence over attack though so some of you may disagree but replacing a center back is much harder than replacing any midfielder or forward unless they're on Ronaldo/Messi's level.

We have to offer him as much money as Lloris/Kane.

Barcelona are going to look for a Center back in the summer and I'm seriously worried about them chasing Alderweireld, he honestly fits their system perfectly. His passing is one of the best I've seen for a spurs player never mind a defender, he keeps possession in key and risky areas, he's tall and can be a threat at corners..

and I'm usually quite unbiased but he is honestly the best defender in the league and by some margin..

Not only that but he's our most important outfield player. I tend to value Defence over attack though so some of you may disagree but replacing a center back is much harder than replacing any midfielder or forward unless they're on Ronaldo/Messi's level.

Couldn't agree more. When you've followed spurs as long as I have you will have seen countless talented attacking footballers come and go. A solid dependable centreback who symbolises an era of defensive stability - I can count them on one hand.

When he singed for us he was our highest paid player (excluding Ade), so after the majority of our players have new deals it's a fair guess and say that he is still one of our highest earners, Kane, Lloris are reportedly our highest earners, I guess closely followed by Vertonghen, Walker, Rose. Given how we have tied down everyone (Alderweireld' currently contracted until 2019!) there is nothing to panic about, we have demonstrated we are prepared to renew/reward contracts if a player is performing. Discussions are no doubt taking place, absolutely nothing to suggest an agreement will not be reached.

Arnt Barca also supposed to be in a problem financially? Heard there's little money to splash arround.

Why would Barca need a new centre back?

Umtiti has been one of the best centre halves in world football this season and they aren't just going to replace a club legend in Pique.

Why would Barca need a new centre back?

Umtiti has been one of the best centre halves in world football this season and they aren't just going to replace a club legend in Pique.
Umtiti hasn't been that good mate. He is a very good prospect, nothing other than that at the moment. Not a guaranteed starter for Barca (although with the decline of Mascharano he is getting more games) or Country. As a yardstick Koscielny is miles ahead of him, would you describe Koscielny as "one of the best centre halves in world football" right now, nah.

Umtiti hasn't been that good mate. He is a very good prospect, nothing other than that at the moment. Not a guaranteed starter for Barca (although with the decline of Mascharano he is getting more games) or Country. As a yardstick Koscielny is miles ahead of him, would you describe Koscielny as "one of the best centre halves in world football" right now, nah.

He's been exceptional this season. He's 23 and will probably be there for 10+ years if they treat him right. Absolutely no reason why Barcelona would want Alderweireld. And no, this season Koscielny hasn't been anywhere near him. Not at all.

I've said throughout this season, there are two teams that would never go for Alderweireld and that's Barcelona for the reasons stated and juventus because he simply wouldn't get in there team.

Besides them two. Every team in world football would want him.

He's been exceptional this season. He's 23 and will probably be there for 10+ years if they treat him right. Absolutely no reason why Barcelona would want Alderweireld. And no, this season Koscielny hasn't been anywhere near him. Not at all.

I've said throughout this season, there are two teams that would never go for Alderweireld and that's Barcelona for the reasons stated and juventus because he simply wouldn't get in there team.

Besides them two. Every team in world football would want him.
My post was to say Umtiti is not "one of the best CB's in World football", nothing more.

Clause is common knowledge.

Not sure why anyone is even discussing something that di Marzio posted. He's a close friend of Conte and what team is facing Contes team in 3 days time? Tottenham.

I doubt his release clause will ever get activated, since it only kicks in during the final year of his contract. Much more likely that he'll be gone in the summer of 2018, when some cash-rich club offers like 50 mil for him. But on the other hand, maybe keeping Alderweireld for one extra year is arguably worth the 25m gap between his 2019 release clause and his real value. Either way, he's staying for at least one more season and I couldn't be happier about it. Absolutely terrific defender.

how often do release clauses actually get used? they are everywhere these days, yet genuinely i cannot remember any of note actually being activated.

point is, fuck talking about his release clause, it wont make a difference. if he wants to leave he'll leave anyway, if he doesn't he wont. its really down to the club to make him want to stay long term.

No Alderweirled or Vertonghen in team of the year is an absolute fucking joke. Toby especially because whilst we have been under the radar Tony hasn't and has been highly, highly rated by all those in the media. Fucking fuming at this.

That's a joke. They've not put them there purely because we'd have the whole back 4. Which would be totally justified but they clearly think it a bit odd if Cahill and Luis win the league.

It should have been Toby and Azpilicueta if anything.

Surprised Rose got in though. He's missed over quarter of the season.

Back
Top Bottom