Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hard to argue with when you look at the goals against. The real test is still unfolding with the loss of Verts.

Kaboul out Toby in is one of the top reasons we are where we are this season.

Definitely up there, however saw one of those opta things which pointed out that Verts had better tackles and block numbers than Toby.

Toby however feels like a missing piece of our defensive jigsaw though.
I'm going to say it... Toby is a leader in the same mould as Ledley.

Before he arrived Verts had massive holes in his game. Our defence had massive holes in its game. Poch has had a huge influence on that but Toby is a leader of the line and affects the games of players around him so they look assured and actually concentrate and play better.

Look at the players around Ledley. Daws, Woodgate, Bassong et al all looked far better when they had King leading the line and the same applies for Alderweirald. TBH, I would have been very worried had it been Toby injured and not Verts, in the same way that any combination of players not including King just seemed to miss that glue.

Having seen the little of Wimmer that we had, I was completely confident in him when Verts went out... I couldn't say the same if it were the other way around as Verts, for everything he does have, is no leader.

To the chorus of Parklife by Blur (probably already used by some bell ends):

Aaaaaaalderweireld,
Toby Alderweireld

He's the best at the back in the Premier League,
And he's a Yid like you and meeee

Tobeee

1, 2, 3, 4!
*repeat*

Last edited:
So following our collective efforts to come up with a new, inventive, elaborate chant for Toby, I was delighted to hear a half-arsed "Doo doo doooo, Toby Alderweireld" (same tune as 'shame about the Woolwich') in the Park Lane on Saturday. Hope it doesn't catch on as his tune, there are so many better options...

_88166273_toby_paintball.png

Toby hunting Spammers

Back
Top Bottom