The Unavailable (Injury & Suspension) Player Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

we will be very short in Jan If Biss & Sarr head off to african cup

I imagine we'll see :

Hojbjerg
Kulusevski - Lo Celso
Skipp and Donley as the depth is incredibly light though. Just really gutting that Bentancur got injured. Because that particular midfield three was looking real good against Villa.

Son is a bigger miss, I think. A lot of his work is underappreciated, even by Spurs fans.

Man Utd are a mess but going to Old Trafford without van de Ven, Bissouma, Bentancur, Maddison, Sarr and Son is annoying.

That's our first choice midfield and the number one back up to that midfield missing. Our top goalscorer, our top assister and a starting centre back all out too.

I think United is 2 weeks into January so I am hoping and praying we've at least got one in by then.

Last edited:
Courtesy Football Chap Football Chap
I assume our players involved won't be allowed to play the FA Cup game v Burnley?

2023 AFC Asian Cup Dates12 January – 10 February 2024
AFCON13 January - 11 February 2024

Our fixtures:

January, 2024​

Sat Jan 6 Emirates FA Cup Burnley H
Sun Jan 14 Manchester United A
Sat Jan 27 Emirates FA Cup 4
Tue Jan 30 Brentford H – 7.45pm

February, 2024​

Sat Feb 3 Everton A – 3pm
Sat Feb 10 Brighton & Hove Albion H – 3pm
Sat Feb 17 Wolverhampton Wanderers H – 3pm

*Possibly a couple of FA Cup replays too...

Last edited:
Be good if Maddison and Van de Ven in particular were fit in mid Jan, be like 'new signings' !

Wonder where Sky's info comes from - its more optimistic than club has let on so far. Before end of this month (Dec) Spurs medics should be able to give more accurate forecasts of return dates.

Maddison did an interview yesterday and he didn’t exactly sound positive he’d be appearing that soon. I wouldn’t be surprised if it drifted into February for him

I assume our players involved won't be allowed to play the FA Cup game v Burnley?

Our fixtures:

January, 2024​

February, 2024​

I think they have to be released 2 weeks beforehand. It’s still fucking stupid having the tournament then.

Our fixtures:

January, 2024​

February, 2024​

Really need to avoid a 3rd round replay that would give us an extra game away to Burnley...

I think they have to be released 2 weeks beforehand. It’s still fucking stupid having the tournament then.

Providing the players only fly out on 1st or 2nd of January their absence doesn't affect any December fixtures and its only the FA cup match v Burley on 6th (plus possible 4th round FA cup match end of Jan) and 2 PL matches, the first of which is on 14th Jan v Man U plus first half of Feb fixtures which are affected.

I think its irresponsible of FIFA to permit Afcon to take place at this time - uproar the last time they were permitted but FIFA just do not care about player welfare or disruption to european football matches despite Europe being the area of the world generating most money for FIFA and all of football.

Afcon have to find locations where its safe to play football in the summer break between european seasons - which either means them building air conditioned stadiums or holding it in north Africa.

Updated to show Romero, Bissouma, Sarr, Richarlison returned

Still a number of important players out - Van de Venn, Bentancur, Maddison plus squad players such as Solomon - who we could do with returning asap

View: https://x.com/spurotm/status/1734031631243948427?s=61&t=uETTmoovTpdmNn4PhyoGBQ

Damn, Solomon

Friday Night Smackdown Lol GIF by WWE

Be good if Maddison and Van de Ven in particular were fit in mid Jan, be like 'new signings' !

Wonder where Sky's info comes from - its more optimistic than club has let on so far. Before end of this month (Dec) Spurs medics should be able to give more accurate forecasts of return dates.

Even Solomon back early-ish would be a welcome boost what with Sonny/Asia Cup and Kulu in the CM mix.

Manor Solomon had his operation on 5th October with him being fit on 2/3/4 months speculated originally - no updates since that date, so not sure he'll be back in Jan.

Bryan Gil says hi - fine at dribbling not necessarily a goal threat.

Yago de Santiago who will be 21 on 1st Jan was on bench about 2 weeks ago - has scored 6 goals with 4 assists in U21's, speedy, driving, tricky left winger, robust build. IMO certainly a possibility off the bench, maybe more.

Jude Soonsup-Bell, aged 20 in January, made a start for Chelsea v Brentford in 2021 EFL Cup as centre forward before injury and falling out with Chelsea over playing time led to him joining Spurs where he's been used as RW. Similar stats to Santiago in u21 matches plus a couple of goals and assist in EFL trophy (v L1 and L2 sides) when Santiago injured. IMO again a possibility off the bench or even a start - you've seen his goal from tonight as to what he can do .

View: https://x.com/Spurs_Academy/status/1734301350266065133?s=20

Then there is Jamie Donley, 19 in January, who has 6 goals and 11 assists in 11 u21 matches and of course twice got a couple of mins off the bench. Left footed but lethal with his right too, best as a no 10 (although until 12 months ago was a striker) but could equally be a left sided forward - robust build but like Mr Kane not fast.

I'd like Ange to use the youngsters, all of whom could create or score goals, probably more reliably than Gil or Solomon (especially just coming back from injury)

Back
Top Bottom