The Race For 7th

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Let's hope City get to the semi final of the FA Cup. Then our game will be postponed
Maybe go between Burnley and Sheff united right at the end CL games not withstanding.
Thats some run of games regardless - we need to be flying by the tiime St James park comes about.

We've won our last five in a row in the league at home since losing to West Ham, these are Newcastle, Everton, Bournemouth, Brentford, and Brighton with Newcastle being our best performance of the season. However, our last four home wins have not been great performances, averaging quite low on the forum ratings.

We're now averaging 6.67

ABOVE AVERAGE

1. Newcastle (h) 4-1, Premier League, December 10th: 7.51
  2. Woolwich (a) 2-2, Premier League, September 24th: 7.48
  3. Sheffield Utd (h) 2-1, Premier League, September 16th: 7.42
  4. Burnley (a) 2-5, Premier League, September 2nd: 7.41
  5. Manchester United (h) 2-0, Premier League, August 19th: 7.35
  6. Fulham (h) 2-0, Premier League, October 23rd: 7.26
  7. Bournemouth (a) 0-2, Premier League, August 26th: 7.25
  8. Crystal Palace (a) 1-2, Premier League, October 27th: 7.24
  9. Liverpool (h) 2-1, Premier League, September 30th: 7.20
  10. Luton (a) 0-1, Premier League, October 7th: 7.16
  11. Manchester United (a) 2-2, Premier League, January 14th: 7.02
  12. Bournemouth (h) 3-1, Premier League, December 31st: 6.85
  13. Chelsea (h) 1-4, Premier League, November 6th: 6.84
  14. Nottingham Forest (a) 0-2, Premier League, December 15th: 6.83
  15. Manchester City (a) 3-3, Premier League, December 3rd: 6.82
  16. Brentford (h) 3-2, Premier League, January 31st: 6.81
  17. Brighton (h) 2-1, Premier League, February 10th: 6.68
BELOW AVERAGE
  1. Brentford (a) 2-2, Premier League, August 13th: 6.62
  2. Everton (h) 2-1, Premier League, December 23rd: 6.59
  3. Aston Villa (h) 1-2, Premier League, November 26th: 6.55
  4. Manchester City (h) 0-1, FA Cup, January 26th: 6.25
  5. Burnley (h) 1-0, FA Cup, January 5th: 6.21
  6. Everton (a) 2-2, Premier League, February 3rd: 6.18
  7. Wolves (a) 2-1, Premier League, November 11th: 5.65
  8. Brighton (a) 4-2, Premier League, December 28th: 5.13
  9. West Ham (h) 1-2, Premier League, December 7th: 5.04
  10. Fulham (a) 1-1, League Cup, August 29th: 4.61

Maybe go between Burnley and Sheff united right at the end CL games not withstanding.
Thats some run of games regardless - we need to be flying by the tiime St James park comes about.
How does that fall with regards to CL? If Goons / City get to the semis, they will be flat out and that can only benefit us

We've won our last five in a row in the league at home since losing to West Ham, these are Newcastle, Everton, Bournemouth, Brentford, and Brighton with Newcastle being our best performance of the season. However, our last four home wins have not been great performances, averaging quite low on the forum ratings.

We're now averaging 6.67

ABOVE AVERAGE

BELOW AVERAGE
Great analysis but an absolutely awful source data set.

We're now averaging 6.67

ABOVE AVERAGE

BELOW AVERAGE

It has felt like we really have had to cling on at times and there's no real reason why.
We blitzed Everton for 20-30 minutes racing into a 2-0 lead and it looked like it could be another 4 or 5 goal haul. And then we retreated and clung on and got lucky really.
We were poor against Brentford for the first half, came out in the 2nd half and blitzed them for 15-20 minutes scoring 3 and then.....backed off and clung on.
Bournemouth was wierd as it never felt like we were ever a "3-0" winner despite it getting to 3-0. They caused us all sorts of problems. And once they got 1, we very nearly conceded another, which would have made for a horrendous last few minutes.

I know a lot of people are raving about the turn around in our style, but these IMO are all the hallmarks of problems Mourinho and Conte had.
What's strange, is for the most part hardly any players from their regular 11's are playing for us now. But the mentality to cede possession when under pressure and cling on is there for all to see.

It has felt like we really have had to cling on at times and there's no real reason why.
We blitzed Everton for 20-30 minutes racing into a 2-0 lead and it looked like it could be another 4 or 5 goal haul. And then we retreated and clung on and got lucky really.
We were poor against Brentford for the first half, came out in the 2nd half and blitzed them for 15-20 minutes scoring 3 and then.....backed off and clung on.
Bournemouth was wierd as it never felt like we were ever a "3-0" winner despite it getting to 3-0. They caused us all sorts of problems. And once they got 1, we very nearly conceded another, which would have made for a horrendous last few minutes.

I know a lot of people are raving about the turn around in our style, but these IMO are all the hallmarks of problems Mourinho and Conte had.
What's strange, is for the most part hardly any players from their regular 11's are playing for us now. But the mentality to cede possession when under pressure and cling on is there for all to see.
I understand what you are saying but we are causing the opposition lots of problems in every single game we play. We just need to be more clinical and go for the jugular more and then these games you mention are done by 75 minutes. The Brentford game annoyed me because we absolutely obliterated them in 10 minutes and then went back to what made us average in the first half of that game.
Ange is ruthless and I don’t think we’ll see that anywhere near as much next season. I think next season will be more like the 10 min spell against Brentford but for longer periods. As the manager says we are still early on in this and when we get better or even more explosive type players then I think our forward play becomes better.

I understand what you are saying but we are causing the opposition lots of problems in every single game we play. We just need to be more clinical and go for the jugular more and then these games you mention are done by 75 minutes. The Brentford game annoyed me because we absolutely obliterated them in 10 minutes and then went back to what made us average in the first half of that game.
Ange is ruthless and I don’t think we’ll see that anywhere near as much next season. I think next season will be more like the 10 min spell against Brentford but for longer periods. As the manager says we are still early on in this and when we get better or even more explosive type players then I think our forward play becomes better.

A reasoned debate on TFC - nice to see.

I’ve been feeling the same way. Love that we’ve got the 3pts but relieved more than anything.

I think what has been said above by both are true. None of us will know whether it’s a fitness issue (inability to play at lightening speeds across 90+mins) or naivety or personnel. Im sure Ange and the coaches probably know. Obvs there’s been a drop off pre/post Chelsea but I thought pre-Chelsea we were riding our luck a bit. The team haven’t really put a full 90mins together, where they batter opposition sides and a remorseless. Maybe that’s to come.

The goals conceded are a concern. Lapses, individual errors etc - this has to be ironed out. Titles won with parsimonious defences etc etc blah blah. I’d love to see a win AND a clean sheet agsinst Wolves. Again, we don’t know what is being said or coached from within the club? Maybe the team/coaches aren’t that bothered as long as we win?

We could have got 5 or 6 against Brentford if we kept up that 15 minute burst.

A reasoned debate on TFC - nice to see.

I’ve been feeling the same way. Love that we’ve got the 3pts but relieved more than anything.

I think what has been said above by both are true. None of us will know whether it’s a fitness issue (inability to play at lightening speeds across 90+mins) or naivety or personnel. Im sure Ange and the coaches probably know. Obvs there’s been a drop off pre/post Chelsea but I thought pre-Chelsea we were riding our luck a bit. The team haven’t really put a full 90mins together, where they batter opposition sides and a remorseless. Maybe that’s to come.

The goals conceded are a concern. Lapses, individual errors etc - this has to be ironed out. Titles won with parsimonious defences etc etc blah blah. I’d love to see a win AND a clean sheet agsinst Wolves. Again, we don’t know what is being said or coached from within the club? Maybe the team/coaches aren’t that bothered as long as we win?
Newcastle and Burnley had 2 good halves in each game. I can't think of another game where we've been good/better team in both halves tbh.
The players look leggy to me, which is disappointing given no Europe.

We could have got 5 or 6 against Brentford if we kept up that 15 minute burst.

Every team that plays with this kind of intensity plays in bursts.

Expecting us to ever play breakneck for 90mins isn’t based on (un doped) reality.
Even Kloppypool used to do it for 20min bursts then try to control the gaps.

What we need is to be more clinical in the bursts and more controlled in the lulls.

Every team that plays with this kind of intensity plays in bursts.

Expecting us to ever play breakneck for 90mins isn’t based on (un doped) reality.
Even Kloppypool used to do it for 20min bursts then try to control the gaps.

What we need is to be more clinical in the bursts and more controlled in the lulls.

What Liverpool and City have done over the years is build up a fear factor to teams. So much so that some teams aren't even going into games and trying. They will sit back and just hope they can contain and break.

That's different against us currently. Teams will go for it. I think that's increased without Son in the team because without him, we lack that player with fear factor aura. They know they can go for us and that more often than not someone like Kulusevski or Werner or even Johnson may mess up more than they score. Unlike say Son, who they may have specific plans for or pay special attention to in game.

We'll get there. We still need to move on a fair few players and bring in players more suited and of another level to the current depth.

6 months in.

That sounds like a them-problem to me.

Or anywhere between 0 & 15
Technically 14 points is not possible :levyeyes:

Yeah, I decided to be that knob

Scared Homer Simpson GIF by reactionseditor

I know its absolutely pathetic but a tiny incoherent but noisy part of me thinks we are going to go close to winning the league.... there said it out loud and its even crazier.

I think that dip due to injuries and suspensions cost us big time.

But I do think there are more swings and roundabouts to come. It's so close up there that teams will feel more and more pressure and Europe for all of them bar us.

I think that dip due to injuries and suspensions cost us big time.

But I do think there are more swings and roundabouts to come. It's so close up there that teams will feel more and more pressure and Europe for all of them bar us.

Crazy isn’t it. In the games against wolves, Villa, west Ham and Brentford first time out we got 1 point from 12.

I’m backing us to get 12/12 from the return fixtures.

Anything could happen. Admittedly that has to include City winning every match. But who knows???

We have a lot of very winnable home games and 6 tough looking away matches (on paper).

I just want us to go into that woolwich, City, Liverpool run in with a real chance if we can get 9/9 points.

What a great place the lane will be…..players only playing once a week.
They will be so fired up for those matches.
Goosebumps just thinking about it. Roll on April.

How does that fall with regards to CL? If Goons / City get to the semis, they will be flat out and that can only benefit us
Qtr final for CIty could be on 16/17th then they play us on the Saturday. Hopefully its not another bye fixture for them and they have a hard match.

Back
Top Bottom