The Mighty Spurs - Abu Dhabi FC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

From Bluemoon.

"Such a big club are spurs, I remember them winning 2 fa cups, a uefa cup, fa cup runners up, league runners up, in the 80's, yet by 1987, sub 10000 crowds were regular at WHL"

:dembelelol:

England historical attendance and performance
On no metric are they bigger than us apart from 4 leagues 2 of which were bought in Europe the have only 1 cup winners cup. Bigger crowds lately in a ground bought by the tax payers

England historical attendance and performance

And lying about other clubs doesn't endear me to them either.

The lowest attendance at the Lane is 14,034 on the 8th December 1973. Beat Stoke 2-1.

The season we were in Div 2, I think our AVERAGE was about 35,000. I was at the FA cup 3rd round v Bolton (hardly a glamour tie) and there were 44,000 there (and btw to see Hoddle score the greatest goal of all time apparently according to Jimmy Armfield). When we played them at the end of the season in the league it was 50,000.

Where do they get this shit from? Moogle? Bluegle?

Thanks for the Citeh stats Paddy.

So: in 1968, when they won the Div 1 title, and when crowds were artificially high from the spike with the '66 WC win (thanks Wet Spam, lol) - their average crowd was a measly 2,000 higher than ours, 10 years later, when we were in Div 2.

So, leaving aside the Financial Doping era and being gifted a brand new stadium: In my lifetime of following football, I can remember only a spell between 1968-70 when they achieved anything. And by then they were back mid table, with Big Mal boasting they were going to win the European Cup (next stop a silly Fedora and a double relegation at Palace, yeah right).

Do they have it in for us for the 81 final?

Always used to have a soft spot for City & their long suffering fans. Know quite a few too.
However, since they were financially doped, they seem to have developed this myth that they are historically successful. Which is extremely misguided & a bit cunty.
I want a close up of both Gallagher brothers weeping this evening, nothing less will do.

To be fair to city when they dropped to league 1 they were getting 30k at Maine road. However always empty seats at their new ground, even playing champs league games, that's the plateau of their support.

Also when looking at average attendances over the last 40 years or so that it's worth noting our ground has been on reduced capacity for certain seasons such as when the west stand was built in the early 80's, the remodeling of the Paxton and park lane in the early 90's and the East stand redevelopment just before that, our capacity only got to 36k in the mid 90's when the Paxton upper tier was opened.

I can not recall Maine road being rebuilt as much as WHL?

Speaking with City supporters. They do not fancy this and expect a score draw. They also suggested, if they can turn it on they can get the win. They don't fancy it yet, do not expect to lose?

Closer the KO the more I feel we are getting the result. I cant see us not winning?
They cant defend for Toffee or should I say against the toffees.

That sounds about right from what I've heard too. But the idea they can get some kind of results against us exists only because they are a club that have bought their way to success and they have already become entitled. They think they should get a result every week because they are familiar with winning since they spent a few billion pounds. And, as all other clubs do, they underestimate Spurs. There is a real indignity about the idea of a mid table team being able to break the top four without a sugar daddy and even more so to have the audacity to challenge for the title. But like it or not that is what Spurs have done. But they don't like it, the traditional top four plus sugar daddy city can't stand it. There's no way they'll even get a draw against us, we'll beat them convincingly.

While we haven't been relegated from the premier league, they have. If that doesn't make them a much smaller club than us in recent times, prior to the financial doping, then I don't know what does.

Back
Top Bottom