The Lamela Enigma

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Different type of players though. Bale is an athlete, powerful type. Same mould as Ronaldo. You wouldn't put Lamela on that program..

Lamelas style in general reminds me of di Maria. Gangly, not the fastest, works hard and has great vision. Both woudnt suit being built like powerful athletes.

You're right but a bit of strength would help him to retain the ball better.

That and not trying to dribble 3 players :kaboullol:

Different type of players though. Bale is an athlete, powerful type. Same mould as Ronaldo. You wouldn't put Lamela on that program..

Lamelas style in general reminds me of di Maria. Gangly, not the fastest, works hard and has great vision. Both woudnt suit being built like powerful athletes.
Neither Bale, nor Ronaldo were that type of player either. Until the HGH made a difference. If Lamela doesn't want to go down that road, I can't fault him.

Tank.

article-2398750-0180F55D000004B0-492_306x423.jpg

Wld defo giv him more time. Got no10 written all over him imho. Not devastating over 5 yds so a decent lb will make his life hard. Loves a reverse ball/assist and i think itd keep eriksen in his most productive position (11) and help us be a little less porous thru the middle.

You're right but a bit of strength would help him to retain the ball better.

That and not trying to dribble 3 players :kaboullol:

Agreed. But fuck it, let's put everyone on Bale's program. Lets teach them to have God like genetics.

Neither Bale, nor Ronaldo were that type of player either. Until the HGH made a difference. If Lamela doesn't want to go down that road, I can't fault him.

Bale was always a runner. He was even going to take up athletics. You can blatantly see in styles how different he and Ronaldo are to Lamela.

But whatever, let's put him on Bale's program. Muscle will make him world class. To think that's all he was missing.

Just looking at Lamela's numbers (when looking at other names we've been linked with/talked about. He's already an elite-level wide AM.

He's in the top 25 in Europe for creating chances as an AM. He's also in the top 2 for tackles, and top 3 for interceptions, which gives a good idea of how effective he is in the press. He does lose the ball and get dispossed, but less than other AMs in similar roles at top 4 clubs.

I can't see a good argument to sell. It would cost €40 million to replace what he does. No one better is younger, so you'd be giving up on any future improvement as well.

Don't look at what he did at Roma. Look at what he does now. It's pretty special.

Just looking at Lamela's numbers (when looking at other names we've been linked with/talked about. He's already an elite-level wide AM.

He's in the top 25 in Europe for creating chances as an AM. He's also in the top 2 for tackles, and top 3 for interceptions, which gives a good idea of how effective he is in the press. He does lose the ball and get dispossed, but less than other AMs in similar roles at top 4 clubs.

I can't see a good argument to sell. It would cost €40 million to replace what he does. No one better is younger, so you'd be giving up on any future improvement as well.

Don't look at what he did at Roma. Look at what he does now. It's pretty special.
Why don't you stop looking at 'the numbers' and try watching him play? It's ok - not pretty special.

Why don't you stop looking at 'the numbers' and try watching him play? It's ok - not pretty special.
It actually is special. Watch him, then watch other PL players in the same position/role. They get disposessed at the same rate, or even more. They also don't create more chances. Nor do they press as well.

Lamela hasn't shot as much as he should, but just brushing him off as losing the ball too much overlooks what he does, and how others do in the same role.

It actually is special. Watch him, then watch other PL players in the same position/role. They get disposessed at the same rate, or even more. They also don't create more chances. Nor do they press as well.

Lamela hasn't shot as much as he should, but just brushing him off as losing the ball too much overlooks what he does, and how others do in the same role.
I do watch him. He's wasteful in possession, and a bit of a liability in defence. Having said that I believe we should stick with him for one more season.

Lamela scored with a rabona. What more do you want? The stick he gets is no more fair than that of Paulinho following the flick at stoke

I keep hearing him being compared to Townsend, if he doesn't match up sell him.
Please somebody tell me what has Townsend done. Why isn't Townsend getting the same stick from some?
Is it the price tag? - which is not his fault.
I'd say they show equal commitment on the pitch. AT also loses the ball a lot, does not score enough and has no end product.
We all seem willing to give AT time ( & more than Lamela has been) to show his potential and they are both the same age.
Thing is this year Lamela has scored just as much as - and made more assists - than AT has done since he's been here.

I just don't think AT is cut out for EPL:oops:

I keep hearing him being compared to Townsend, if he doesn't match up sell him.
Please somebody tell me what has Townsend done. Why isn't Townsend getting the same stick from some?
Is it the price tag? - which is not his fault.
I'd say they show equal commitment on the pitch. AT also loses the ball a lot, does not score enough and has no end product.
We all seem willing to give AT time ( & more than Lamela has been) to show his potential and they are both the same age.
Thing is this year Lamela has scored just as much as - and made more assists - than AT has done since he's been here.

I just don't think AT is cut out for EPL:oops:

He hasn't progressed, though he'd probably fared well had he play him like an true winger rather than an attacking mid...Lamela isn't cut out for the Premier League but is adapting, more physical and quicker one twos

Although Lamela needs to be taking more shots I also think if Lamela would have received the passes he could have score a few more goals. Time and time again I saw him make fantastic sprints into the box, be unmarked at the back post hands up, yet the pass did not come.
I do watch him very closely when we play and that is a part of his game gives me great optimism. He never stops doing it. Some time it will all come together.
Another factor in Lamela losing the ball is that he receives it and runs then more often than not there was not a forward pass on, or player making the run into the space he had just vacated - that may change with Trippier - he waits, then runs into two or three defenders and loses it.
9 times out of 10 if there is a run made, Lamela will find the pass.

Ps a good article and some good points. I think I made the same comparison to other players re assists day before yesterday.
I also notice that Erik has learned the lingo and his English studying has paid off. There is no doubting his commitment or professionalism for a 23 yr old. I feel he has only just settled here and is now much happier.

Last edited:
I have not been overly impressed with Lamela and am far from convinced he is suited to PL football. That being said seeing as the dross we are being linked to like Moses and Redmond I would much rather give him another season to prove his worth.

He needs another season at least and when he is 25/26 he could be a world beater!

And yes I've noticed he's often made some great runs into the box, unmarked and doesn't receive the pass!

Although I love him Harry is the worst culprit and needs to look up more to improve his game!
I remember shouting at the TV screen during the away leg of the Blades semi when he did that several times!
But he still had a great season!
:kaneear:

I'll ignore the stats and go with what I see from watching him play. Let's face it, who doesn't concentrate on what he's doing pretty intently, most are watching his every move waiting to see what he does. He's looked a bit more lively in some virtual dead-rubbers at the end of the season but otherwise he's a total enigma. Yes there is talent there, yes he's young enough for a lot more potential to be realised. However, this is his 3rd season and if we don't see a lot more pretty early can we really afford to 'carry' him for 3-4years?

I'll ignore the stats and go with what I see from watching him play. Let's face it, who doesn't concentrate on what he's doing pretty intently, most are watching his every move waiting to see what he does. He's looked a bit more lively in some virtual dead-rubbers at the end of the season but otherwise he's a total enigma. Yes there is talent there, yes he's young enough for a lot more potential to be realised. However, this is his 3rd season and if we don't see a lot more pretty early can we really afford to 'carry' him for 3-4years?
Are we actually 'carrying' him? He's one of our two best chance creators, and our best presser, right now. Is he scoring 20 goals? No, but there's more to a team than the guy scoring the goals.

Are we actually 'carrying' him? He's one of our two best chance creators, and our best presser, right now. Is he scoring 20 goals? No, but there's more to a team than the guy scoring the goals.

I added the '....' because he's not devoid of contribution and not a useless player by any means but, he's a very marque price-tag who hasn't delivered. That can't be ignored when we're essentially unable to compete with the richest clubs in the division and yet still have big gaps to fill in our squad. By investing so much financially and then giving him 3-4 years to find his feet at a more notable level is effectively carrying a player to us. We can't go out and get a £25-30m holding midfielder to sure us up it seems, we can't afford the same on a striker when we only have one either (if Lamela did score 15-20 then that would be less of an issue and it's all relative to the overall problem with him, it means Lamela has to deliver much more. The Kane and Bentaleb rises are only going to move us forward if they are supplementing and improving the squad, not being totally depended on to provide all the class that we've failed to buy.

But the way, I don't believe at all that Lamela et al should be used as an excuse to not spend relatively big (but CORRECTLY) in the name of getting the right balanced squad and if the opportunity is there to push us on.

Should we give up on Erik Lamela or is his best still to come? Malone takes a look at our young Argentinian.

Read article
He's one of the very few players we've got who is genuine class. Two reasons he hasn't done more: 1) long term injury first season 2) he hasn't been given a consistent role. The only enigma is why the hell Pochettino is thinking about getting rid of him - he should be thinking about building the team round him!

Back
Top Bottom