The Lamela Enigma

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just looking at Lamela's numbers (when looking at other names we've been linked with/talked about. He's already an elite-level wide AM.

He's in the top 25 in Europe for creating chances as an AM. He's also in the top 2 for tackles, and top 3 for interceptions, which gives a good idea of how effective he is in the press. He does lose the ball and get dispossed, but less than other AMs in similar roles at top 4 clubs.

I can't see a good argument to sell. It would cost €40 million to replace what he does. No one better is younger, so you'd be giving up on any future improvement as well.

Don't look at what he did at Roma. Look at what he does now. It's pretty special.

Although Lamela needs to be taking more shots I also think if Lamela would have received the passes he could have score a few more goals. Time and time again I saw him make fantastic sprints into the box, be unmarked at the back post hands up, yet the pass did not come.
I do watch him very closely when we play and that is a part of his game gives me great optimism. He never stops doing it. Some time it will all come together.
Another factor in Lamela losing the ball is that he receives it and runs then more often than not there was not a forward pass on, or player making the run into the space he had just vacated - that may change with Trippier - he waits, then runs into two or three defenders and loses it.
9 times out of 10 if there is a run made, Lamela will find the pass.

Ps a good article and some good points. I think I made the same comparison to other players re assists day before yesterday.
I also notice that Erik has learned the lingo and his English studying has paid off. There is no doubting his commitment or professionalism for a 23 yr old. I feel he has only just settled here and is now much happier.

Last edited:
This season for sure. Leading assist maker in our team, only 23 and works his socks off. Finished fhe season strong and had another strong run of performances surrounding his injury. I remain optimistic.

never will be suited to the premiership.
value will decrease & a waste of wages.
sell him if we can.

hope im proved wrong again! but doubt it.

Very nice article. I find the guy fascinating as a footballer. He's shown exceptional vision and creativity at times. He's also an incredibly hard worker. And he has a good eye for the goal. But he has some obvious physical limitations. He's not quick and he can be painfully clumsy when he holds the ball. He's almost the anti-Townsend.

In the end, I think he'll come good for us. He's got the right attitude and, more importantly, he's got a great mind for the game. I think this year everything slows down for him on the pitch, and his quality shines through.

Different type of players though. Bale is an athlete, powerful type. Same mould as Ronaldo. You wouldn't put Lamela on that program..

Lamelas style in general reminds me of di Maria. Gangly, not the fastest, works hard and has great vision. Both woudnt suit being built like powerful athletes.
Does anything aside from drivel ever come out of your mouth? Lamela wouldn't benefit from being as powerful and fast as Bale? Maybe not in Serie A, you should probably just stick to watching and commenting on that

Tank.

article-2398750-0180F55D000004B0-492_306x423.jpg

Just looking at Lamela's numbers (when looking at other names we've been linked with/talked about. He's already an elite-level wide AM.

He's in the top 25 in Europe for creating chances as an AM. He's also in the top 2 for tackles, and top 3 for interceptions, which gives a good idea of how effective he is in the press. He does lose the ball and get dispossed, but less than other AMs in similar roles at top 4 clubs.

I can't see a good argument to sell. It would cost €40 million to replace what he does. No one better is younger, so you'd be giving up on any future improvement as well.

Don't look at what he did at Roma. Look at what he does now. It's pretty special.
Why don't you stop looking at 'the numbers' and try watching him play? It's ok - not pretty special.

Why don't you stop looking at 'the numbers' and try watching him play? It's ok - not pretty special.
It actually is special. Watch him, then watch other PL players in the same position/role. They get disposessed at the same rate, or even more. They also don't create more chances. Nor do they press as well.

Lamela hasn't shot as much as he should, but just brushing him off as losing the ball too much overlooks what he does, and how others do in the same role.

never will be suited to the premiership.
What is the Premiership? Is he a good footballer or not? 'The Premiership' seems to be a convenient excuse for not making a proper evaluation on a player - anyway, it's the Premier League now. Would he do any better in that?

Sorry for all the questions.

His strong run to finish the season was promising. We tended to perform better as a team when he played, in terms of pure results. Townsend was too up and down in the lineup and the team also flowed that way for whatever reason.

Really hoping he pays off this season. His attitude is fantastic and he seems like a good guy to have in the team.

Does anything aside from drivel ever come out of your mouth? Lamela wouldn't benefit from being as powerful and fast as Bale? Maybe not in Serie A, you should probably just stick to watching and commenting on that

Lamela isn't that type of player though. So it's pointless having this conversation. Every player in world football would benefit from being as powerful an athlete as Bale. Unfortunately genetics don't work like that.

Lamela is a skill player, not a powerful athlete never will be. Doesn't have power for one. He also isn't quick.

What is the Premiership? Is he a good footballer or not? 'The Premiership' seems to be a convenient excuse for not making a proper evaluation on a player - anyway, it's the Premier League now. Would he do any better in that?

Sorry for all the questions.

Answers,

1. A gravy train.

2. Good, could be great.

3. Possibly.

Seriously play him behind Harry from the start and persevere as there is a player in there somewhere but can Poch find it?

Sorry another question........

:pochsulk:

It actually is special. Watch him, then watch other PL players in the same position/role. They get disposessed at the same rate, or even more. They also don't create more chances. Nor do they press as well.

Lamela hasn't shot as much as he should, but just brushing him off as losing the ball too much overlooks what he does, and how others do in the same role.
I do watch him. He's wasteful in possession, and a bit of a liability in defence. Having said that I believe we should stick with him for one more season.

Back
Top Bottom