The Blame Game

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who shoulders the blame?

• Total voters
I think Fergie winning the league with a shower of shite last season was a very good indicator of just how important a manager can be.

Disagree, Manchester City were not as good as they are this season, and the same goes for Chelsea and Liverpool. They won it through everyone else being bang average.

You should get onto Abramovich, and the chairmen of Barca, Real and Bayern Munich and tell them to stop spending millions on top players.

They could just scout the non leagues and still win their silverwear, as long as they have a good manager.

You'd make a great agent.

:defoe:

so to argue your point, which is totally flawed you move the goal posts.

clough took a second division side to win the european cup, ferguson broke the duopoly of the ugly sisters, let alone last season.

with fuck all respect you haven't got a danny

so to argue your point, which is totally flawed you move the goal posts.

clough took a second division side to win the european cup, ferguson broke the duopoly of the ugly sisters, let alone last season.

with fuck all respect you haven't got a danny

Oh...Clough went on a cup run nearly 40 years ago.....how did that side do long term again?

And Fergie built an empire over a 30yr managerial career.

So, to argue your point....Jose could win the PL and CL with Darlington.

And you are actually going to argue this. My fucking God. I think this season has fucked with a few heads.

Not at all. Im arguing against someone who believes a manager can make a non league player world class....as "thats his job"

??? The premise is dumb. If a young special one managed one of those, it's a good bet he would be a success and get headhunted. Just like he did when he impressed during his year at Liera and it got him noticed by Porto.

Like I said, that type of debate is screeching. Overstating a premise for effect.

So I got an inbox full of dislikes so here is my reasons:
Made Daws Captain then tried to sell him.
Supplied a lone striker in Soldado with crosses from players with poor crossing skills.
Played Dembele (an AM) as a DM.
Played Paulinho as a box to box headless chicken.
Played Siggy, an AM on the wing.
Played Holtby, a number 10 or central AM on the wing, or in the boiler room.
Let record signing Lamela rot and played a former serial loanee instead of him.
Then when he did play him, he was so rusty his confidence was shattered because after a stint out, he put him against Man City away and gave him tracking back duties.
He played Eriksen on the wing: Same deal, gave him tracking back duties.
He gave Townsend, the Bale role when Townsend has no history or scoring.
When Bale was here, we were lopsided and Bale was the only gameplan. Defoe and Ade went on droughts.
He let Caulker be sold.
He let Benny go on loan.
Defoe scored 1 prem goal in a calender year under AVB's tactics.
He introduced the high line.
He made a slow CB in Daws play the high line.
He did not buy a left back.
Soldado went from scoring 35 goals a season, into looking like the flop of the season with the method of creativity coming from the wings/wingbacks.
He thought Rose, a failed winger could be our left back.
He thought Naughton could play at left back.
He delayed the introduction of Lloris.
He played Dembele as a DM instead of Capoue. And much like Lamela Capoue ended up getting rusty. Also got fat under AVB's watch.
He found a way to make our wingers even worse by inverting them which led to a lot of stepping on toes.
His lack of vision caused other problems, (like not signing a left back, letting Caulker go) led to player morale issues for Vert, had Sandro playing CB, had Capoue playing CB which impacted their ability to gel.
We had issues with aspects of training ground routines: Scoring from corners, high line defending, throw in taking, individual mistakes, Townsend shooting on sight, Walker taking corners etc.
He let Lloris play concussed.
Would not learn from obvious trends like Rose and Naughton being targeted and compounding it with putting lightweight players, often out of position in front of them.
Post Bale the play was unattractive with slow, predictable buildup effecting the atmosphere at the lane.
He never had a plan B.
He could not juggle prem games and Europa effectively.
Townsend had zero assists. For a winger with top 4 aspirations is diabolical.
Townsend had 1 goal from 50 shots in the prem. And that was a cross.
Lennon has 1 goal and 1 assists in the prem.
Holtby had 1 prem goal in a calender year.
Made Ade train with the kids after his brother died. Reason: For questioning his tactics.
bqTdEz8.gif

Dude, you're mental.

bqTdEz8.gif

Dude, you're mental.

Most of the things I said, happened. Not even opinions. Unless we did not try and sell Daws, Townsend did get prem assists, Caulker was not sold, Ade did not play with the kids, AVB did not introduce the high line etc? haha Turn that bullshit meter on yourself...it will spit out cross thread butthurt from some other argument we had.

Go ahead...Do your usual. Hit disagree. Perhaps another picture?

Your user name is hilarious "true to myself" yet here you are saying my claims are bullshit when most if not all are common knowledge/true events.

Last edited:
tbh I only voted for AVB as a joke as most people on here know I wasn't his biggest fan. Although I do think he has A LOT to answer for, the overall blame has to lie with Levy & the players for me.

Disagree, Manchester City were not as good as they are this season, and the same goes for Chelsea and Liverpool. They won it through everyone else being bang average.

Utd were as bang average as everyone else, but Fergie did what he always did and got them over the line in enough games to win them the 3 points. Honestly fella, if you think managers can't influence the game once the whistle has blown, then you have no reason to moan at Tim for sitting in the stands.

??? The premise is dumb. If a young special one managed one of those, it's a good bet he would be a success and get headhunted. Just like he did when he impressed during his year at Liera and it got him noticed by Porto.

Like I said, that type of debate is screeching. Overstating a premise for effect.

Im not talking about a young manager doing well at a crap team and getting spotted.

Im talking about Jose being able to get a non league team into the CL with the same players.

Yes, the premise is extremely dumb...and its one you are ignoring and making up a whole new discussion.

gibbs131
Made Daws Captain then tried to sell him. So what?
Supplied a lone striker in Soldado with crosses from players with poor crossing skills. Your anger is misplaced.
Played Dembele (an AM) as a DM. He is a CM.
Played Paulinho as a box to box headless chicken. What's wrong with playing him as a B2B? How should he be played?
Played Siggy, an AM on the wing. Where he was quite good (or at least better than in any other position).
Played Holtby, a number 10 or central AM on the wing, or in the boiler room. Once or twice. Saw that it didn't work and stopped.
Let record signing Lamela rot and played a former serial loanee instead of him. Townsend was in the form of his life and Lamela wasn't ready.
Then when he did play him, he was so rusty his confidence was shattered because after a stint out, he put him against Man City away and gave him tracking back duties. Are you saying that a winger shouldn't track back? About shattered confidence - bullshit.
He played Eriksen on the wing: Same deal, gave him tracking back duties. What do you have against tracking back?
He gave Townsend, the Bale role when Townsend has no history or scoring. There is no such thing as the Bale role. Townsend's a winger, he played him like one.
When Bale was here, we were lopsided and Bale was the only gameplan. Defoe and Ade went on droughts. Bullshit. Ade was injured, then fucked off to the AFCON then came back and was shit/injured. Same with Defoe.
He let Caulker be sold. Most probably not his fault.
He let Benny go on loan. Asked Levy to get rid of him and buy a new LB. Not his fault that Levy failed to replace him.
Defoe scored 1 prem goal in a calender year under AVB's tactics. Not his fault.
He introduced the high line. How many clean sheets did we have during his tenure?
He made a slow CB in Daws play the high line. Should've sold him.
He did not buy a left back. Levy didn't buy a LB.
Soldado went from scoring 35 goals a season, into looking like the flop of the season with the method of creativity coming from the wings/wingbacks. AVB's gone and Soldado's still not scoring. What does it tell you?
He thought Rose, a failed winger could be our left back. :paulinhofacepalm:
He thought Naughton could play at left back. We had no one else.
He delayed the introduction of Lloris. That's debatable.
He played Dembele as a DM instead of Capoue. And much like Lamela Capoue ended up getting rusty. Also got fat under AVB's watch. When Capoue was injured? Also, got fat under AVB's watch? Lay off the meth.
He found a way to make our wingers even worse by inverting them which led to a lot of stepping on toes. They are shit (this season) no matter where they play.
His lack of vision caused other problems, (like not signing a left back, letting Caulker go) Not his fault led to player morale issues for Vert was asked to play at LB for a couple of games... big deal... he plays for Belgium there..., had Sandro playing CB, had Capoue playing CB Was forced to which impacted their ability to gel It didn't.
We had issues with aspects of training ground routines: Scoring from corners we've never been good at it, high line defending see above, throw in taking ?, individual mistakes training ground routine?, Townsend shooting on sight training ground routine?, Walker taking corners occasionally etc.
He let Lloris play concussed. Lloris said he was OK. Non-issue.
Would not learn from obvious trends like Rose and Naughton being targeted and compounding it with putting lightweight players, often out of position in front of them. That's just your opinion.
Post Bale the play was unattractive with slow, predictable buildup effecting the atmosphere at the lane. That's just your opinion.
He never had a plan B. That's just your opinion.
He could not juggle prem games and Europa effectively. That's debatable.
Townsend had zero assists. For a winger with top 4 aspirations is diabolical. How is that AVB's fault?
Townsend had 1 goal from 50 shots in the prem. And that was a cross. How is that AVB's fault?
Lennon has 1 goal and 1 assists in the prem. How is that AVB's fault?
Holtby had 1 prem goal in a calender year. How is that AVB's fault?
Made Ade train with the kids after his brother died. Reason: For questioning his tactics. Bullshit.

Last edited:
gibbs131
This is where I stopped with the previous post. There is no evidence that AVB was shopping Dawson. Rather, QPR swung in with a bid that unsettled the club because of the high price tag. So they were willing to sell. When a club is offering you smashburger money, you consider shifting the player. Simples.

Dawson said he'd rather stay and fight for his role in the XI. The end. I imagine the rest of the screed read similarly.

gibbs131
Supplied a lone striker in Soldado with crosses from players with poor crossing skills. Your anger is misplaced.
Played Dembele (an AM) as a DM. He is a CM.
Played Paulinho as a box to box headless chicken. What's wrong with playing him as a B2B? How should he be played?
Played Siggy, an AM on the wing. Where he was quite good (or at least better than in any other position).
Played Holtby, a number 10 or central AM on the wing, or in the boiler room. Once or twice. Saw that it didn't work and stopped.
Let record signing Lamela rot and played a former serial loanee instead of him. Townsend was in the form of his life and Lamela wasn't ready.
Then when he did play him, he was so rusty his confidence was shattered because after a stint out, he put him against Man City away and gave him tracking back duties. Are you saying that a winger shouldn't track back? About shattered confidence - bullshit.
He played Eriksen on the wing: Same deal, gave him tracking back duties. What do you have against tracking back?
He gave Townsend, the Bale role when Townsend has no history or scoring. There is no such thing as the Bale role. Townsend's a winger, he played him like one.
When Bale was here, we were lopsided and Bale was the only gameplan. Defoe and Ade went on droughts. Bullshit. Ade was injured, then fucked off to the AFCON then came back and was shit/injured. Same with Defoe.
He let Caulker be sold. Most probably not his fault.
He let Benny go on loan. Asked Levy to get rid of him and buy a new LB. Not his fault that Levy failed to replace him.
Defoe scored 1 prem goal in a calender year under AVB's tactics. Not his fault.
He introduced the high line. How many clean sheets did we have during his tenure?
He made a slow CB in Daws play the high line. Should've sold him.
He did not buy a left back. Levy didn't buy a LB.
Soldado went from scoring 35 goals a season, into looking like the flop of the season with the method of creativity coming from the wings/wingbacks. AVB's gone and Soldado's still not scoring. What does it tell you?
He thought Rose, a failed winger could be our left back. :paulinhofacepalm:
He thought Naughton could play at left back. We had no one else.
He delayed the introduction of Lloris. That's debatable.
He played Dembele as a DM instead of Capoue. And much like Lamela Capoue ended up getting rusty. Also got fat under AVB's watch. When Capoue was injured? Also, got fat under AVB's watch? Lay off the meth.
He found a way to make our wingers even worse by inverting them which led to a lot of stepping on toes. They are shit (this season) no matter where they play.
His lack of vision caused other problems, (like not signing a left back, letting Caulker go) Not his fault led to player morale issues for Vert was asked to play at LB for a couple of games... big deal... he plays for Belgium there..., had Sandro playing CB, had Capoue playing CB Was forced to which impacted their ability to gel It didn't.
We had issues with aspects of training ground routines: Scoring from corners we've never been good at it, high line defending see above, throw in taking ?, individual mistakes training ground routine?, Townsend shooting on sight training ground routine?, Walker taking corners occasionally etc.
He let Lloris play concussed. Lloris said he was OK. Non-issue.
Would not learn from obvious trends like Rose and Naughton being targeted and compounding it with putting lightweight players, often out of position in front of them. That's just your opinion.
Post Bale the play was unattractive with slow, predictable buildup effecting the atmosphere at the lane. That's just your opinion.
He never had a plan B. That's just your opinion.
He could not juggle prem games and Europa effectively. That's debatable.
Townsend had zero assists. For a winger with top 4 aspirations is diabolical. How is that AVB's fault?
Townsend had 1 goal from 50 shots in the prem. And that was a cross. How is that AVB's fault?
Lennon has 1 goal and 1 assists in the prem. How is that AVB's fault?
Holtby had 1 prem goal in a calender year. How is that AVB's fault?
Made Ade train with the kids after his brother died. Reason: For questioning his tactics. Bullshit.

You really have no clue about football/Spurs do you? All that effort, and you dont follow us that closely at all. I don't know where to start to be honest. I don't think I want to walk you through very basic things that happened during AVB's reign. Perhaps I won't even answer your points. Just send links of news items etc to make you look fkn clueless.
You claimed:
This:
Made Ade train with the kids after his brother died. Reason: For questioning his tactics.

Was Bullshit.
http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/281755.html

Are you sure you want to do this?

Emmanuel Adebayor has revealed to Sky Sports he had private and public fall-outs with boss Andre Villas-Boas before the Portuguese coach cast him into exile at the start of this season.

Villas-Boas made it clear to Adebayor that he was not part of his first-team plans and forced him to train with the club's junior players as he was replaced by summer signing Roberto Soldado in the Spurs line-up.

However, Adebayor has flourished since Tim Sherwood replaced Villas-Boas as Tottenham boss and now he has lifted the lid on his heated discussions with the departed Spurs head coach.

"He brought his ideas and I told him: 'Your ideas will not help the team'," Adebayor said in an interview broadcast on Sky Sports. "I have had a chance to play for a lot of top clubs in my career and I know how it's supposed to be. I told him one v. one and he didn't want to listen, and then I told him in front of the group.

"Maybe it was a mistake. Maybe it was a good one, maybe it was a bad one. I don't know, but I spoke my mind."

Adebayor admits his desire to prove his doubters wrong has been a driving force behind his revival, which has seen him score five goals in eight Premier League matches.

"I remember in early September I did an interview saying it would not take me long to be the number one striker again in Tottenham and a lot of fans jumped on that saying: 'Oh, who does he think he is?'" Adebayor said. "These are the things that give me more motivation and these are the things that keep me going.

"When you wake up and you realise that there are a lot of haters out there and you want to prove them wrong, you just keep focused and keep doing what you love best, which is playing football, scoring goals and having fun."

Adebayor went on to offer hearty praise for his new boss Sherwood, as he suggested the former midfielder has a more open-minded approach to the game than his predecessor.

"I know Tim quite well, so for me, to be honest with you, I was impressed because I know the manager, the person, the personality," Adebayor said. "At the moment, this is what is happening and I am very happy.

"I know what Tim can bring into the club and we all see what he has brought into the club. For me, he is an unbelievable man, a nice guy with a huge character.

"He has been there for me since day one and he just told me 'Adebayor, I know how good you can be, I know you can be a very important player for this squad and to fight for the team. If you fight for the team, the team will be behind you'."

Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/281755.html#ydmblUsyAPyV1Vey.99

This is where I stopped with the previous post. There is no evidence that AVB was shopping Dawson. Rather, QPR swung in with a bid that unsettled the club because of the high price tag. So they were willing to sell. When a club is offering you smashburger money, you consider shifting the player. Simples.

Dawson said he'd rather stay and fight for his role in the XI. The end. I imagine the rest of the screed read similarly.

Thanks for backing up my claim that he was allowed to leave but refused. You know what you just did right? You claim there was no evidence that AVB was shopping Dawson...then said Dawson said hes rather stay and fight for his place.

You just CONFIRMED MY CLAIM.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/tottenham-transfer-news-michael-dawson-1276486

It's a lovely little runner! AVB talks up Dawson as he tries to flog him

AVB:

"'I never went through a situation where having four centre-backs wasn’t enough - I currently have five of them' says the Tottenham manager

DAWSON put the breaks on it:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/tottenham-transfer-news-michael-dawson-1278340

Move to QPR doesn't appeal even though a fee's been agreed.

Back
Top Bottom