Take the money or keep Bale?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hi Banjo, fair question and polite post.

We had no choice in reality, Bale wasn't playing, his 'head had been turned', we got a world record fee for a great player, a Spurs legend who's in my all-time Spurs XI.

It's quite hilarious how some oppo fans wouldn't recognise how good Bale was when he played for us.

It's also worth noting the shabby and often disgraceful treatment Bale got from officials, oppo fans and players, meant it was a great move for Bale to get to a place where he'd probably get ref protection, and not have to face the likes of Adam, not to mention all those disgusting monkey chants at him.

He's gone to a better place, and I don't blame him. I'm just glad I was at the Lane to see him destroy the European Champions that famous night v Inter. Not to mention many other memorable days and nights 'live' and on TV.

Exactly. I remember watching the Sunderland game where he was denied another blatant penalty and thinking, he needs to go. He gets booed every game (for absolutely no reason other than jealousy) and has no referee protection, it was in fact quite the opposite, he was targeted by refs.

Exactly. I remember watching the Sunderland game where he was denied another blatant penalty and thinking, he needs to go. He gets booed every game (for absolutely no reason other than jealousy) and has no referee protection, it was in fact quite the opposite, he was targeted by refs.
As much as I loved bale and still do sort of, I have to admit that he had a couple of shameful diving incidents when playing for us. The one against villa springs to mind

Well said, and the media far from rushing to the defence of the best player in our country and the most exciting one, was quite often happy to go along with the 'Bale's a diver' shit. Even worse, some of our fans bought into the nonsense too. If bale ever read any of that, then he must have thought 'fuck this boyo, I'm offski' or whatever they say in the valleys :)

Oh yeah, that was appalling. But by the end he was being booked left right and center for being fouled.

The one in the first half against Sunderland in the last game of the season, blatant foul when he was 1v1 with the keeper but got booked for diving. Don't think i've ever been more aggressive towards my poor television.

What incident was that? Anyway if you were one of the ones criticizing Bale, well done in helping to drive him away. It's your right of course, but I think defending him was the better option.

Btw I can assure you that I was definitely not trying to drive bale away and even if I was I highly doubt I would have held much power over him leaving. The most exciting spurs player I have ever had the pleasure to watch and still miss him now. Just trying to point out that he wasn't blameless for some of the special treatment he received from refs

Btw I can assure you that I was definitely not trying to drive bale away and even if I was I highly doubt I would have held much power over him leaving. The most exciting spurs player I have ever had the pleasure to watch and still miss him now. Just trying to point out that he wasn't blameless for some of the special treatment he received from refs

Fair enough that was a dive, but he obviously thought he was going to get clattered by the keeper.

So that's one incident in how many years, and because of that he's a diver?

For me you were either for Bale or agin him, there was no shades of grey (or navy blue). It needed us Spurs fans to stick by him 100%, and I don't think we did that. Yes, he would probably have gone anyway, but he needed and deserved our unconditional support that last season.

Fair enough that was a dive, but he obviously thought he was going to get clattered by the keeper.

So that's one incident in how many years, and because of that he's a diver?

For me you were either for Bale or agin him, there was no shades of grey (or navy blue). It needed us Spurs fans to stick by him 100%, and I don't think we did that. Yes, he would probably have gone anyway, but he needed and deserved our unconditional support that last season.
Ok fair enough. Interested to know why you don't think all fans stood by him. The only stick I ever recall him getting was from opposition fans. I personally don't remember ever seeing a spurs fan who didn't praise him. I'm pretty sure all spurs fans loved him as you would expect. Oh and I don't think bale was a Diver, I just think he had a few stupid moments in the past like the one above and that led to refs targeting him

Ok fair enough. Interested to know why you don't think all fans stood by him. The only stick I ever recall him getting was from opposition fans. I personally don't remember ever seeing a spurs fan who didn't praise him. I'm pretty sure all spurs fans loved him as you would expect. Oh and I don't think bale was a Diver, I just think he had a few stupid moments in the past like the one above and that led to refs targeting him
Hi Jamie, because there were Spurs fans on the net who were saying that Bale dived. Also I don't think think Bale got the full adulation he deserved. He is soooooooo much better than various players I could name who seem to get/have got as much praise/songs as he did.

Anyway, I agree he would have gone regardless. I just hope the next time we get a Bale or Ginola (if we do) the fans are with him 100%, and don't buy into this 'diving' stuff from the oppo fans/media.

I remember how Rodgers defended Suarez before our game at Anfield last season, whereas AVB kept quiet about Bale. I said AVB was wrong, and that Rodgers had won the PR battle. Others disagreed.

Who got the penalty? Suarez.

Replying to my own post I know but the comments have strayed from the original question: what would have been better for Spurs (if you could have convinced Gareth to stay), Gareth or the 5 or 6 players you bought (or could have bought)?

Replying to my own post I know but the comments have strayed from the original question: what would have been better for Spurs (if you could have convinced Gareth to stay), Gareth or the 5 or 6 players you bought (or could have bought)?

In an idealistic world where Bale would've been fine with staying another year and ideally played just as well, I'd have kept him and addressed other areas of need on the back of the other sales we made.

In the real world, I'd have milked the situation as Levy did. Bale had a monstrous contract promised, a very powerful agent chirping in his ear in the last year of their contract together, and the prospect of being the most expensive athlete in history in his mind. However, I would also have had entrusted such a substantial sum to a more established head scout that I had ensured had an agreed plan for the squad with the manager. Alas, not only did we have a talent scout whose eye for talent was heavily questioned by fans of his previous club, he and the manager were also not of a agreed agenda and plan.

Erego, you can see the irony at hand. There was no ideal realistic situation that could have unfolded given the pieces that had already been put in place. As such, from this very question that you ask, you can see the makings of the inevitable story that is the rest of Spurs' woeful 2013/14 season.

Back
Top Bottom