Take the money or keep Bale?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

At heart a Hammer, I like the way Spurs have played the past few years (better than us under BFS). An honest question: with hindsight would you prefer to have kept Bale or taken the money? Hope you get above Everton.

I would have still taken the money but invested it in more proven quality or a more British backbone.
I just get the feeling our players dont want to be here, or don't care.
Lamela apparently cried when leaving Roma...

So yeah, still the money.

simplist answer is he alone was making an average team look a very good team last season.

very good players should be in very good teams!.. he is now.

talent like his doesn't come along that often & deserves to play on the biggest stage.

I would have still taken the money but invested it in more proven quality or a more British backbone.
I just get the feeling our players dont want to be here, or don't care.
Lamela apparently cried when leaving Roma...

So yeah, still the money.

I think that may change under a different manager. I hope we'll get to find out.

The only two that I feel we should have spent better on, so far, are Soldado and Paulinho - both have done well, but not justified what we could have spent the money on.

Not judging Lamela yet but he's still the right kind of player for us I think

At heart a Hammer, I like the way Spurs have played the past few years (better than us under BFS). An honest question: with hindsight would you prefer to have kept Bale or taken the money? Hope you get above Everton.
Would you be willing to get a Tottenham tattoo for charity :ade:

I think that may change under a different manager. I hope we'll get to find out.

The only two that I feel we should have spent better on, so far, are Soldado and Paulinho - both have done well, but not justified what we could have spent the money on.

Not judging Lamela yet but he's still the right kind of player for us I think

Neither am I, but I just feel a twenty-something player who cannot speak the lingo of a language of the nation he is moving to is bound to be homesick. Watching clips when he was at Roma, he was fantastic. I just feel that he thinks he had a few more years there to achieve more and his job was unfinished. Not only that, but the fans adored him, and him the fans.

With regards to Paulinho, I still think the same. The premier league is where the money is at, but not the spirit if that makes sense. I think its a place where players come to end their career. Not begin it.

I think the lesson is when you sell an 80 million player, replace him with 2x 45 million players, not 6 x 15 million.
Which 2 of the Madrid squad could be have had in a straight swap for Bale? Di Maria and Benzema?

Keeping him when he clearly wanted to go to Madrid would have sent out a terrible message to any players we were hoping of signing in the future.

If we had been able to persuade him to stay, I would have happily kept him instead of taking the cash.

Neither am I, but I just feel a twenty-something player who cannot speak the lingo of a language of the nation he is moving to is bound to be homesick. Watching clips when he was at Roma, he was fantastic. I just feel that he thinks he had a few more years there to achieve more and his job was unfinished. Not only that, but the fans adored him, and him the fans.

With regards to Paulinho, I still think the same. The premier league is where the money is at, but not the spirit if that makes sense. I think its a place where players come to end their career. Not begin it.

We've got City and Chelski to blame for that, unfortunately.

I seems to me like we've bought another Sandro when we've already got one (that no one else probably wants lol). Needed to replace Modders with that £18m or whatever.

Bale smashing in THAT goal against West Ham > £85m of money I'll never get to spend on beer

Hi Banjo, fair question and polite post.

We had no choice in reality, Bale wasn't playing, his 'head had been turned', we got a world record fee for a great player, a Spurs legend who's in my all-time Spurs XI.

It's quite hilarious how some oppo fans wouldn't recognise how good Bale was when he played for us.

It's also worth noting the shabby and often disgraceful treatment Bale got from officials, oppo fans and players, meant it was a great move for Bale to get to a place where he'd probably get ref protection, and not have to face the likes of Adam, not to mention all those disgusting monkey chants at him.

He's gone to a better place, and I don't blame him. I'm just glad I was at the Lane to see him destroy the European Champions that famous night v Inter. Not to mention many other memorable days and nights 'live' and on TV.

Hi Banjo, fair question and polite post.

We had no choice in reality, Bale wasn't playing, his 'head had been turned', we got a world record fee for a great player, a Spurs legend who's in my all-time Spurs XI.

It's quite hilarious how some oppo fans wouldn't recognise how good Bale was when he played for us.

It's also worth noting the shabby and often disgraceful treatment Bale got from officials, oppo fans and players, meant it was a great move for Bale to get to a place where he'd probably get ref protection, and not have to face the likes of Adam, not to mention all those disgusting monkey chants at him.

He's gone to a better place, and I don't blame him. I'm just glad I was at the Lane to see him destroy the European Champions that famous night v Inter. Not to mention many other memorable days and nights 'live' and on TV.

Great post.

Sometimes it's good to see we can appreciate a player without doing a Fritzl to them

Yeah, he was also playing alongside Francesco fucking Totti.

Who's he got at Spurs? Grandpa Friedel?

Back
Top Bottom