Swissramble Tottenham Blog

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Surely our net spend is a little anomalous. I didn't see anyone else buying one player for 5m and selling him for 86m.

Even Suarez cost 22 and went for 60. Which was far too low if you ask me

Surely our net spend is a little anomalous. I didn't see anyone else buying one player for 5m and selling him for 86m.

Whats too low ? 60 milllion for Suarez ? The cunts only one bite away from a probable lifetime ban. We all know it`s gonna happen. It`s when not if. 60 million is way over the top for someone that close to the edge.

Whats too low ? 60 milllion for Suarez ? The cunts only one bite away from a probable lifetime ban. We all know it`s gonna happen. It`s when not if. 60 million is way over the top for someone that close to the edge.
That was why he was 60 rather than 85. He's a world class offensive talent, who does something violent and stupid on pitch every 8 months. The price had a discount factored in for the time lost due to suspensions.

He won't get a lifetime ban. There's too much box office value in him doing it again to discourage it.

That was why he was 60 rather than 85. He's a world class offensive talent, who does something violent and stupid on pitch every 8 months. The price had a discount factored in for the time lost due to suspensions.

He won't get a lifetime ban. There's too much box office value in him doing it again to discourage it.
It would be a season long ban at least. What was it last time. 3 months. ?

Yes, but we never reinvested the Modric money as far as I can tell - that was just £30m in and then we bottled signing Moutinho.

Yes, but we never reinvested the Modric money as far as I can tell - that was just £30m in and then we bottled signing Moutinho.
It wasn't 30 million at once though, it was spread out over a few years. So the dollar values aren't going to match up perfectly for each transaction and year.

Your narrative suggests 'whoops, we just spent £108m on absolute shit.'
We thought we weren't, but we cannot escape the conspicuous lack of success those signings have had on average.

Soldado had been brilliant for Valencia. He experienced a sudden decline in form and confidence when played in the completely wrong system under AVB. The decline in form turned out to be permanent. This was hard to see coming, but it did happen.

Paulinho was great in Brazil, but arguably stood out by being a box-to-box player in a league which had none. When he made the jump to Europe, he no longer looked exceptional, just mediocre because that's all he'd ever been.

Chadli was a squad-level signing. He remains that.

Chiriches was a gamble. He is a talented, but very mistake-prone player. We couldn't coach the mistakes out of him.

Capoue looked promising, but underwhelmed and fell out with Pochettino.

Eriksen was a very promising AM from Ajax who was usually brilliant, but occasionally a bit subdued. He's brilliant more often, and has been an absolute steal.

Lamela looked like a sure thing at Roma. He's subsequently been exiled by AVB, injured, exiled again by Sherwood, started adjusting to football in England, injured again and now seems to be still having trouble adjusting. A massive talent, but maybe just not the right fit for England. It took Modric and Bale two years to really kick on. He may be the same, or may never be right in England.

The gossip earlier this year was that the club felt too much weight had been given to agent opinions, and too many choices had been poorly taken. We then tried to substantially beef-up our recruiting team by signing Paul Mitchell. The club said to the ST that they felt that window hadn't gone well, and they would not likely want to try doing that kind of large-scale spending again in a single window.

I think that's as close as you will ever get from Spurs to someone standing up and saying, "Christ, that was a real cock-up, wasn't it?"

Always love the Swiss Ramble reviews,
I said we are are selling club, Greavsie said we are not - rather a trading club.
I'll accept that.
But yes we cannot walk away from this - when our Sponsorship monies (shirt, kit, etc) and Media (missing CL money) is so far below our competitors.
So yes we need to be a trading club - i'm ok as long as we can have the hope of jagging the odd excellent yr when a group of talented players come together.

The comment by Poch saying we may not be a bigger club but rather a different club - to me now says what the strategy is.

Rather than buying Capuoe, Stambouli, Chiriches, Fazio etc I can see Levy, Poch, Mitchell saying we will hold say 16-18 quality players and then holding 10-12 young players (under 21).
This strategy provides -
1. A lower total wage ratio %
2. The smaller number of quality to deal with EPL
3. Holding and coaching the younger 10-12 will play more games from EPL U18/21's with double up in the early rounds of EL/CC/FA Cups. Some of these quality younger players can still be loaned out from January if cup commitments reduce.
4. Provides upside for adding value $ to the total squad for TRADING Surpluses.

So we need to:
1. Identify/acquire younger players to come in - Mitchell and his offsider (name escapes me). Dele Alli is a clear example of his.
2. Improve the quality of the first 11-16. This has to be done, it has been announced already that the likes of up to 10 be moved on - Paulinho, Capoue, Chiriches, Adebayor, Kaboul etc.... This 8-10 being sold need to be replaced by say 4 quality but also say 4 Mitchell identified U21 rising stars.
3. Build that Stadium

Good post Shawry and a lot that I agree with there.

For me it's key we keep some of our youngsters to play in the EL rather than loan them out. I don't want any of the 'first XI' on a plane to anywhere during those autumn and winter Thursdays. Youth and fringe players only for away games, probably for home games too, but at least there you can mix it up a little if desired, and it isn't an early Sunday kick off.

I want to see Fredericks Yedlin Alli Prichard and maybe a few others like Onomah, Walker Peters etc playing for us next season, not other teams.

One problem with the blueprint you outlined and I'm sure you're aware of it is moving on the players you mention ' Paulinho, Capoue, Chiriches, Adebayor, Kaboul etc'. Some of them might not want to go, others might not attract the fee Levy wants. Never forget how long BAE and Gomes stayed with us, for example, despite it seems being surplus to requirements.

Yep Greavsie,
Agree with you comments. Yep Levy will struggle giving up some of the players everyone identifies for less £ than he wants.
The motivation to do so might be:
1. Levy may have learned from the Gomes, BAE experiences.
2. Wage bill of mix quality replacements being lower than now.

The other thing I would be trying to explore aside from ensuring the first team does not travel is that Poch does not travel. I would send some of the academy coaching with one of Poch's assistants.

Back
Top Bottom