Summer 2021 - Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still think it’s an odd purchase. I’d love to see us move for a 10.

I'm not too bothered about an out and out 10, as I'd really like to see us persevere with the 433 but, like you, I do like Brandt and he could play as an 8 (or a 10 if we ever wanted to play that way) or even in the front three of the 433.

Surprised no-one's gone in for him, still only 25 too.

Fabrizio Romano:
"There is a possibility Emerson Royal goes to Tottenham.
"They opened talks at the weekend offering a swap deal involving Serge Aurier but Barcelona said no as they are not looking for a new right back because they have a few options in that position.
"So, Spurs have made a bid which is around 30m euros but it is not done yet. The clubs are still negotiating to find a total agreement.

"Also, personal terms are not agreed yet. Tottenham are pushing to find an agreement with Emerson. They want a new right back and Emerson is the priority.

"Let’s see if they will be able to find a total agreement with Barca and the player."
According to Wiki Barca exercised an option to sign him back from Betis for 3 years at 9m euros.
I don't believe this 30m figure.
Maybe it's because I want it to be true but I think Aurier is involved in this deal.

Last edited:
Anyone know the detail on his prior part ownership situation between Barca/Betis?

(Hear comments yesterday that he wasn't simply on loan last year and that Barca had buy the remaining share of the player from them at the beginning of the summer.)

....I didn't think part-ownership of that kind was allowed.

...Also seems odd that Barca would need to buddy up with anyone to buy players before now.

I red somewhere (not sure how true) that Barcleona and Betis owned him 50%/50% before Barcelona bought out Betis share in him.

Why does it feel like any suggestion of playing a back 5 revolves around the fact that Doherty is a bad FB.....?

Just another reason why he should be ditched before Serge..... Serge can play either system when called upon. In fact I think Nuno-ball would suit Serge as he'll have more cover from a CM3/433 than he would in a 4231.
Homegrown is a relevant factor too. (Same story as Sissoko and Winks)

And it’s irrational, but Aurier has been so bad for so long that like Sissoko it really feels like he’d be addition by subtraction. Whereas Doherty feels like he can be more safely ignored.

Plus the Nuno factor I guess, if ever there was a chance to get a tune out of Doherty it’s now. And tbf he was non-terrible last Thursday.

The article says 'want to offload Aurier' .......... which I agree with

But if we cannot offload Aurier we keep him and need to pay his wages (say £3.5m) but do not need to play him.

And we would buy an alternative RB such as Emerson regardless of Aurier situation

Homegrown is a relevant factor too. (Same story as Sissoko and Winks)

He's only HG in the league.

And it’s irrational, but Aurier has been so bad for so long that like Sissoko it really feels like he’d be addition by subtraction.

He's a brainfart player..... He's also had good spells and at times excellent games. This is the same path of thinking that led to some people actually wanting to sell Walker. (Not saying he's as good as walker; but the myopic thinking is similar.)

Whereas Doherty feels like he can be more safely ignored.

He drags the team down to a crawl when he plays...... I find him impossible to ignore; It's like water torture when he plays.

Plus the Nuno factor I guess, if ever there was a chance to get a tune out of Doherty it’s now. And tbf he was non-terrible last Thursday.

That's cos everyone was zipping about like nutters and he hardly had to get up n' down the wing all game. Anyone can hang about on the wing in the middle third and make short passes and a very occasional cross. When called upon defensively, he's a traffic cone and in transition he's a momentum killer.

I hate shit-talking our players (and rarely do) but he's so bad.

Last edited:
Feels like the Romero signing where “sources” initially could not get the story straight on whether the player is keen or not.

Yeh, me too.... That's why I"m asking.....

Sounds really weird/dodgy/'illegal'.

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/footbal...-royal-from-real-betis_sto8350773/story.shtml

But a 2019 Marca report said that Betis and Barcelona shared the price of signing Emerson, his rights would be held by Barcelona but Betis would retain a sell-on clause.

There was also reportedly a clause in 2021 for Barcelona to sign Emerson permanently, an option they’ve exercised. Betis keep their sell-on clause.

So nominally Barcelona hold ownership of Emerson, but there is a 50% sell on clause etc which Betis owns.

I suspect this structure brought about as 'co-ownership' outlawed a few years ago.

Let's face it our creative MF/playmaker is going to be Ndombele, once he realises nobody else will buy him he'll need to try and re-establish his form, and have a meeting with the club management.

He won't make the World Cup unless he starts to perform well for us.
Dont think Ndombele is too bothered about the world cup, especially one played in the heat of Qatar.

I'm not too bothered about an out and out 10, as I'd really like to see us persevere with the 433 but, like you, I do like Brandt and he could play as an 8 (or a 10 if we ever wanted to play that way) or even in the front three of the 433.

Surprised no-one's gone in for him, still only 25 too.
Re: do we need a No 10?

Whether Nuno continues with the current 433 or switches to WBs & 3 CBs, neither formation easily accommodates a genuine 10.

Plus GLC was a 10 at Betis, and it seems we'll be using Bryan Gil as an AM primarily rather than a LW, so it's not like we don't have options.

So, if we stick with 433, with a 6 and two 8s, then GLC & Gil are competing with Dele (& it seems PEH) for the 8 role. If by some miracle (eg cash plus Rodon) we sign Bissouma, then presumably he would play as the 6, with Skipp as the other 6 when needed.

And then there's the hugely creative & massively frustrating enigma who wants out of Spurs & out of Nuno's tactical formations known as Tanguy Ndombele.....

We have an excess of overseas trained players and a shortage of HG players.

So that's a bad option for Spurs - Winks is perfectly adequate as say 4th or 5th choice CM versus nobody as we cannot replace the HG player
If it's HG issue what about 20m + him for Ward Prowse?

Midfield upgraded without worrying about the HG problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom