Summer 2021 - Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
You’re wrong, there’s no chance Emerson would go out on loan if we sign him.
22yo is not a mere ‘development’ signing, he’d be competing with Tanganga for RB spot on first team.

Maybe and let's hope he slots right in, but he's a Betis player not really a Barca player until this summer ... it's a big step up to Barca but at least he's facing players he already knows - much bigger challenge to jump straight into the EPL where he will be facing the unknown.

But you make a good point, if he's going to share game time with Tanganga then keep him here.

We are not short of quantity.
We are short of quality there.

If one asks that "who is there truly guaranteed to be much better than Sanchez" then I would believe there could be tens of CBs better than him. He has proven to be inconsistent, phyisically weak, have poor balance and often fails to read the flight of the ball. Also he's never looked really commanding as CB, more like awkward. Plus his passing ability is sub-bar- though not primary issue I have with him, more that on top of fundamental things his distribution is weak as well.

So yea, there is quantity and there is youth. But department feels short of quality still.
Possibly that's just your biased opinion? - look at any rating site and our CB's are not below "tens of CBs better than them" - now it's possible they are all wrong, and maybe all the transfer values on transfermarkt sites are wrong as well, but this season on the pitch so far so good.

Let's face it our creative MF/playmaker is going to be Ndombele, once he realises nobody else will buy him he'll need to try and re-establish his form, and have a meeting with the club management.

He won't make the World Cup unless he starts to perform well for us.

Maybe and let's hope he slots right in, but he's a Betis player not really a Barca player until this summer ... it's a big step up to Barca but at least he's facing players he already knows - much bigger challenge to jump straight into the EPL where he will be facing the unknown.

But you make a good point, if he's going to share game time with Tanganga then keep him here.
I heard positive things about him from Betis.

We need to get rid of Aurier. Doherty can join Davies as a cup game back 5 utility player.

So what got him the Barca move genuine question anyone,?

Anyone know the detail on his prior part ownership situation between Barca/Betis?

(Hear comments yesterday that he wasn't simply on loan last year and that Barca had buy the remaining share of the player from them at the beginning of the summer.)

....I didn't think part-ownership of that kind was allowed.

...Also seems odd that Barca would need to buddy up with anyone to buy players before now.

re-post?

Fabrizio Romano:

"There is a possibility Emerson Royal goes to Tottenham.

"They opened talks at the weekend offering a swap deal involving Serge Aurier but Barcelona said no as they are not looking for a new right back because they have a few options in that position.

"So, Spurs have made a bid which is around 30m euros but it is not done yet. The clubs are still negotiating to find a total agreement.

"Also, personal terms are not agreed yet. Tottenham are pushing to find an agreement with Emerson. They want a new right back and Emerson is the priority.

"Let’s see if they will be able to find a total agreement with Barca and the player."

I’m not trolling. I’ve seen him play for Betis a number of times.

Even in YouTube videos I don’t think he looks anything special, and they’re usually designed to make a player look good …:kanehand:
He’ll come good for us then... Ndombele’s YouTube reel made him look like the next Messi. :pochshock2:

HOW?!?!

We have 1 decent CB...

To say that Romero is the only one that is even merely "decent" is extremely harsh.

hopefully. As he has not started EPL game yet.
Don't forget Sanzhez and Dier antics throughout years.

Right now we just play with 3 CDMs.
Whenever we either play someone who is more attacking minded or give someone free pass to go forward, the cracks will re-appear.

Sanchez literally lacks some very basic skills CB should have. May I remind last season City game and Gundogan?

Stretching the truth a fair bit there too, mate.....

I would have used this Emerson money to make a big bid for a centre mid or striker. I'm ok with Tanganga and Doherty for this season

Doherty is brutal.... If you'd said Japh/Aurier I might have agreed with you, but can you imagine Japh getting injured and having to play Doherty twice a week!?!?!?

Scary shit!

We're not bringing in Emerson unless we sell Aurier... ffs

I doubt that connection between Aurier and Emerson

We have been trying to sell Aurier all this summer (and last summer when we brought in Doherty as it was expected Aurier would leave early in that TW).

Problem is Aurier seems very picky in his choice of club - but yhe only one we know he wants to go to is PSG and they are not interested.

One year left on his contract, if he declines other movres and we get in Emerson as RB then Aurier may well simply be frozen out. But hope will be we can shift Aurier in next day or so,

So what type of player is Emerson?

Genuine fullback in a 5 or 4?

I can't remember whether it was last season or the season before, they have merged in my brain, I watched a little bit of Betis and watched a little bit of him, and I can't say he blew me away. Strong lad with a decent engine, I don't remember thinking he was slow slow, but I don't remember thinking is nippy either, didn't strike me as particularly smart or technically gifted was my recollection. Think, deluxe Pamarot, maybe. He certainly was involved in attacking play at Betis - but then Betis are a reasonably proactive team. Likewise Barca - and both play back 4 systems, so I guess that would suggest, in theory at least, he's comfortable as an orthodox, but attacking, RB.

As a piece of scouting, I don't think it's particularly imaginative, but the thing is, I have to be honest here and say I can't think of loads of RB's who are marvellous and available and affordable, and also our current options are a pretty chunky CB, a really shit RB who has no redeeming qualities, and the avant-garde Aurier, who's head is even less in it now than it has ever been. So while this signing doesn't fill me with excitement, I think I'd probably take it (over no RB singing at all) and hope he's - a) better than I remember or at least b) no worse than the current options.

I heard positive things about him from Betis.

We need to get rid of Aurier. Doherty can join Davies as a cup game back 5 utility player.

Why does it feel like any suggestion of playing a back 5 revolves around the fact that Doherty is a bad FB.....?

Just another reason why he should be ditched before Serge..... Serge can play either system when called upon. In fact I think Nuno-ball would suit Serge as he'll have more cover from a CM3/433 than he would in a 4231.

Building a team (even if it's the B team!) around Doherty is lunacy!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom