Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Are you related to Levy?

Just appreciate the man behind the position we are in as a club.
It’s the most optimistic I’ve ever been in my entire Spurs supporting life, and it doesn’t feel like a quick fix one hit wonder project.

He’s laying foundations for our kids and grandkids to have a top club to support.
Wonder where Chelsea and City will be in 30 years..

You either trust the manager or you don’t.

If he wants Shaqiri and someone thinks Shaqiri is a fat, shit, and belongs in the championship, then that someone clearly must have serious question marks over Pochs idea of what kind of player we need.

Either that, or he can play his get out of jail free card, and avoid all criticism of the manager and simply claim that Levy has shafted him, one week after giving him the assurances he needed to sign a new contract.

#easylife

For fook sake, are you blind or just ignorant?
I'll try to keep it shorter this time and make bullets, so you can understand:
- we have NO CONFIRMATION that Poch OR the club actually wants him
- even if he does, we can still discuss the player and his abilities (this is exactly what forums are for)
- discussing those things does not mean that I or someone else does not trust manager

I acknowledge we were at Wembley and it was hard to adjust to at the beginning. Hard to actually quantify what effect it had though no? Can't just put a points total that it attributed to.

The inconvenient truth that's supported by irrefutable metrics is that we regressed this season in the league on last season. When you can refute table position, goals for/ag, wins, losses and GD then we'll talk. In reality however, you can't argue these points as they are (to quote Rafa) "Facts".

Now now. Don't pull your tried and true ploy of putting words in one's mouth.
Nothing wrong with buying unproven talent. Taking a punt on a player can sometimes hit the jackpot.

You just cannot use an unproven player as justification for allowing a proven player to leave. Otherwise let's sell Son, it's ok we have N'Koudou to replace him with.

I don’t say replace Toby with Foyth, I said if we sign De Ligt, plus we have Jan, Sanchez and Foyth.

If that happens, I take it we will see you ripping into Poch? Yeah, I’m sure that will happen.

For fook sake, are you blind or just ignorant?
I'll try to keep it shorter this time and make bullets, so you can understand:
- we have NO CONFIRMATION that Poch OR the club actually wants him
- even if he does, we can still discuss the player and his abilities (this is exactly what forums are for)
- discussing those things does not mean that I or someone else does not trust manager

It’s weird that you think you are discussing a fantasy.
Might as well discuss signing Andy Carroll or Neymar then.

You say there is NO CONFIRMATION that Poch wants him and then proceed to say he’s not what we need.
Why are you even discussing Shaqiri by your own view on it all then?

It’s almost like IF Shaquiri signs, you want to reserve the right to backtrack say “I only said he was shit in the hypothetical discussion, but now he’s signed I trust Poch, great signing!!!”

Now that would never happen would it...

I don’t say replace Toby with Foyth, I said if we sign De Ligt, plus we have Jan, Sanchez and Foyth.

If that happens, I take it we will see you ripping into Poch? Yeah, I’m sure that will happen.
If we sign De Ligt I can live with a decision I don't agree with.
Not afraid to say this is a decision I'm not fond of, not sure why that's such a heinous crime.

If however we sell him to United then there shall be scorn as that is completely ludicrous.

Not afraid to say this is a decision I'm not fond of, not sure why that's such a heinous crime.

If however we sell him to United then there shall be scorn as that is completely ludicrous.

It’s not a crime....just like me saying I don’t give a toss if Toby leaves isn’t a crime

Being wrong just seems to bolster their confidence, I guess they are working on the principle that even a broken clock is right twice a day
I think its more subjective than that though tbh. Take last summers transfer window. Yes, I agree, some of us we're proved wrong in the way we expected the window to impact the coming season.
But at the same time were proved absolutely right in their view that Poch was highly pissed off in the way the window was playing out as others refused to acknowledge his frustration.

You realise that we are powerless to force Toby to move abroad, right? We can reject the bid from united all year long. All that means is that we will be stuck with an unhappy player, who the manager most likely won't utilise for a year before we sell him to united with no negotiations next year for less than half the money we'd get for him this year.

I understand that it's not your money. And I understand that you hate the thought of selling to a rival. But if selling Toby to United funds the signing of his replacement and we tell United to fuck off just to please small minded fans who are incapable of seeing the bigger picture, then we will never ever succeed as a team. Holding Toby against his will doesn't do us any favours. It doesn't make us look like a big team. It definitely doesn't guarantee us a great season next year and the end result will be Toby playing for United in the end anyway.

You realise that we are powerless to force Toby to move abroad, right? We can reject the bid from united all year long. All that means is that we will be stuck with an unhappy player, who the manager most likely won't utilise for a year before we sell him to united with no negotiations next year for less than half the money we'd get for him this year.

I understand that it's not your money. And I understand that you hate the thought of selling to a rival. But if selling Toby to United funds the signing of his replacement and we tell United to fuck off just to please small minded fans who are incapable of seeing the bigger picture, then we will never ever succeed as a team. Holding Toby against his will doesn't do us any favours. It doesn't make us look like a big team. It definitely doesn't guarantee us a great season next year and the end result will be Toby playing for United in the end anyway.
Don't patronise me.

I don't hate selling to a rival, I hate strengthening them. If one of them came in for Sissoko I'd drive him to his medical myself.

Not agreeing with the course of action isn't failing to see the big picture, it's nothing more than disagreeing on a message board over the right thing to do.

Don't patronise me.

I don't hate selling to a rival, I hate strengthening them. If one of them came in for Sissoko I'd drive him to his medical myself.

Not agreeing with the course of action isn't failing to see the big picture, it's nothing more than disagreeing on a message board over the right thing to do.

So you think the right thing to do is watch Toby walk for 25 million next year and potentially miss out on one of the highest rated CB prospects in years? I'm glad the board don't listen to you when it comes to these decisions in that case.

It’s weird that you think you are discussing a fantasy.
Might as well discuss signing Andy Carroll or Neymar then.

You say there is NO CONFIRMATION that Poch wants him and then proceed to say he’s not what we need.
Why are you even discussing Shaqiri by your own view on it all then?

It’s almost like IF Shaquiri signs, you want to reserve the right to backtrack say “I only said he was shit in the hypothetical discussion, but now he’s signed I trust Poch, great signing!!!”

Now that would never happen would it...

We are (the fact is, A LOT of speculation is total bs, it is funny you suggest otherwise - all that does not mean that we could not discuss them on idea level).
And we can.

Carroll is easy pass. Not good enough for us. Neymar would be brilliant addition, but I do not see him as likely target given his price tag.

Why am I discussing or giving my opinion - because I just want to offer my view on him, as I have seen him play for various clubs and seen his games week-in-week-out for Bayern for example. And generally I have a view of what our transfers might look like in my view. Now you have 3 options-
1) To agree with me and post/vote about it
2) To disagree with me and post/vote about it
3) To ignore my posts

But the option you choose is not a real option. To suffocate whatever you prefer with suggesting that questioning abilities of player 1 or player 2 is "not trusting Poch and the club" and whatever. For the record as well - we have signed players we can all agree have been failures. We have not signed players who very likely would have taken us forward. I believe I can say this here and discuss those things - opinions differ. This should not be a surprise.

P.S as epilouge to my thought - I did not find signing GNK as reasonable/right one and presented my opinion (then in other forum though) about it. Shared my friends view who follows Ligue 1 to offer more insight. When he signed, I was hoping he does well for us. In number of times even called for him to get more playing time. And now can conclude that this transfer did not work out (see - emphasis on transfer, not person or the club!), hence I believe my judgement was right back then (just like I can admit I was wrong about signing Janssen, who I thought would be very smart addition). I see this as perfectly normal approach. Would be absolutely idiotic try to paint something over - to say right now either that "I was huge fan of the GNK transfer" or "GNK has done brilliantly with us".

Anyways, I see nothing to argue here about really, as you seem to be only one touting the point like we should not say a bad (or equally good, if it ends up so that the player will not sign in the end of the day) word about the player we are linked to.

So it was proven once again spending ££ is a waste of time with tight ass city winning the league. Who are we all backing to win the title this year?
I am going for cardiff. Hard working with no over paid fancy dan's to ruin team spirit. A tough manager in warnock who will take no crap from big money posers.
Liverpool have already spent fairly big on a player which makes them favourites for relegation. But only time will tell....

I think its more subjective than that though tbh. Take last summers transfer window. Yes, I agree, some of us we're proved wrong in the way we expected the window to impact the coming season.
But at the same time were proved absolutely right in their view that Poch was highly pissed off in the way the window was playing out as others refused to acknowledge his frustration.
A lot thought we could challenge for the title. It works both ways. Some said city wouldn't win the title & have overspent.
& as you say, all summer people were saying we don't need any more signings & have faith in what we have. Then poch says the exact opposite, we need more players. We then went big on sanchez. If poch had done what they wanted we wouldn't have the big talent that is sanchez. & with toby out most of the season we would have struggled at the back.

Last edited:
So you think the right thing to do is watch Toby walk for 25 million next year and potentially miss out on one of the highest rated CB prospects in years? I'm glad the board don't listen to you when it comes to these decisions in that case.
You're assuming that a) leaving is fait accompli. His comments yesterday don't say that, just that the ball is in the club's court and b) that he won't have suitors outside of England and c) that he's likely to rebuff all offers other than Utd.

These are 3 factors that we simply don't know the answer to.
As for the 2nd part, I think we have 50-60m available if need be. Not selling Toby now doesn't mean we can't buy him, nor does it mean if we do sell him that we will get De Ligt, he has other clubs interested in him. These can still occur regardless of his sale or otherwise.

We don't really have too many pressing needs to fill in the squad. Probably just a cheap Kane backup and a CM as pressing needs. So not like we're gonna blow heaps of cash on many other signings.

I know he is an excellent player but possibly Toby has now just been hit with too many injuries. His best days are gone I think, since coming back he has looked a bit shakey for us. We will see how he copes in the WC.
Utd already have a stingey as fuck defense, so Toby isn't really going to elevate them onto a new plateau imo.
Would be a shame to see him playing for someone else in the prem though if I'm honest, easier to swallow going abroad, but if we could somehow wrangle Martial or even Rashford (very doubtful) from Utd as part of the deal I think that wouldn't be the end of the world. Would be pretty sweet actually, considering their ages.
I think its better to get as much as possible instead of a 'mere' 25million after his contact expires. So even if we get nothing in return from Utd but 40-50million then as long as we can get a decent replacement lined up, I would take that money. We need piles of money to pay for that cheeseroom, will be the biggest in the world apparently.

Back
Top Bottom