Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There's quite a few differences between then and now.

- 1st-3rd (most likely) vs 4th, meaning no qual so the group stage income is guarenteed.
- The performance this year makes it much more likely that CL will be a repeat affair.
- As does the squad average age now compared to then.
- It was more unlikely to be a repeat affair then because we took the final spot just ahead of City who everyone knew was about to nuts spending.
- New stadium incoming
- Naming rights still to sold (which a marquee signing would help with)
- Bigger TV deal
- FIFA/UEFA scandal meaning the CL-concept might change, and it might be now or never to get among the elite
- Whether we like or not, United is the gold standard in marketing, and if they miss out on CL again (with an unlikeable manager, compared to ours, no less), the time to strike and get market shares in emerging markets is now. Otherwise others, mostly City, will eat it up.
But you need to remember the people who make the decisions at Spurs aren't those inclined to change their approach. Levy's kept very disciplined over the years, and Pochettino's been pretty adamant about his philosophy. I don't see extra cash changing this.

Don't think we'd retain Mason and Carroll as depth? Last season there was talk of Mason or Bentaleb as a future captain, how quickly things change.
Of our attacking options off the bench, after Chadli and Son there is a BIG drop-off. Onomah is just 18, and will improve. N'jie, when fit is on Chadli/Son's level, as is Pritchard. But Mason and Carroll, as lovely human beings as they are, sadly just don't produce enough to be worth keeping. It's a talent gap from Champion's League-level to mid-table Premier League, and we can't afford that when we'll need much more from our bench next year.

Need to keep an American on the books for marketing purposes, Yedlin might get farmed out again. Cannot disagree with your list of outs, perhaps Chadli? First time in a long time I don't really wish to see any player outgoings.
I don't think an American is necessary. A winning team matters more. Chadli gets loads of abuse, but his offensive contribution on a per90 basis is as good as Dele Alli. He's an excellent sub/rotation option for us.

I don't think an American is necessary. A winning team matters more. Chadli gets loads of abuse, but his offensive contribution on a per90 basis is as good as Dele Alli. He's an excellent sub/rotation option for us.

I wasn't being down on Chadli, he's a solid enough squad player. I'm saying if we could get an upgrade in then he potentially would be a player I don't mind being sacrificed.

But you need to remember the people who make the decisions at Spurs aren't those inclined to change their approach. Levy's kept very disciplined over the years, and Pochettino's been pretty adamant about his philosophy. I don't see extra cash changing this.

In all likelyhood, it will not change that we're primarily looking at deals on the lower end of the scale, both for financial reasons and because the type of signing Poch likes are in that price range. However, I'll maintain my view that it'll change in as far as Levy's approach will change to him being open to splashing a huge fee if all the parameters are met.

I'm not saying we'll actively seek out making a 50m+ signing with the purpose of making a statement. Just that we will possibly if a target turns up, who's the kind of signing Poch fancies for his squad AND one that makes sense to Levy because it'll increase our marketing position (and increase financial rewards of on-field success).

I wasn't being down on Chadli, he's a solid enough squad player. I'm saying if we could get an upgrade in then he potentially would be a player I don't mind being sacrificed.
I'm not sure we can. He's a Champion's League-level player who's happy to come off the bench, and who gets along great with the rest of the squad. Not many players are going to match that, especially while still being 26.

In all likelyhood, it will not change that we're primarily looking at deals on the lower end of the scale, both for financial reasons and because the type of signing Poch likes are in that price range. However, I'll maintain my view that it'll change in as far as Levy's approach will change to him being open to splashing a huge fee if all the parameters are met.

I'm not saying we'll actively seek out making a 50m+ signing with the purpose of making a statement. Just that we will possibly if a target turns up, who's the kind of signing Poch fancies for his squad AND one that makes sense to Levy because it'll increase our marketing position (and increase financial rewards of on-field success).
I think that's fair. The money was there to stretch for Son when he became available, and we were willing to stretch for Berahino when Pochettino said he was the last name on the list.

It will be interesting to see who our targets are this summer. We can be very choosey, and that's a nice position to be in.

I'm not sure we can. He's a Champion's League-level player who's happy to come off the bench, and who gets along great with the rest of the squad. Not many players are going to match that, especially while still being 26.

If the Spanners offered the rumoured £15m for him you don't think we'd sell? He's good in flashes and can occasionally pop up with a goal, however a lot of his overall contribution could be improved. There are other players as good and younger who could do the job. He's Europa League level at best, yes I get he's played in the CL for Twente, didn't he even score against us? Like I said of our squad I agree with your outgoings and maybe if the right offer came along Chadli as well. I'm not advocating we should be binning him off.

Actually, yes, he is. Goals+assists+key passes per 90 is level with Alli essentially, and is comparable to wide forwards playing in CL-qualifying teams.

He literally is Champion's League-quality.

Or Alli is his equal and has never played Champions League, he was League One player of the season last year though.

If the Spanners offered the rumoured £15m for him you don't think we'd sell? He's good in flashes and can occasionally pop up with a goal, however a lot of his overall contribution could be improved. There are other players as good and younger who could do the job. He's Europa League level at best, yes I get he's played in the CL for Twente, didn't he even score against us? Like I said of our squad I agree with your outgoings and maybe if the right offer came along Chadli as well. I'm not advocating we should be binning him off.
Nacer Chadli contributes 2.81 goals, assists and key passes per 90 minutes played. Dele Alli contributes 2.83, Kane contributes exactly 2. There are other players who can contribute like that, but they don't already play for us, know the system (which according to ex-Pochettino players takes a year or more to learn), and don't have a good relationship with the rest of the squad.

If the Spammers offered 15 million, I'm fairly sure Levy would tell them to fuck off on principle, and if another club came along, he'd probably be demanding 25 million, since that's about what he's really worth.

Or Alli is his equal and has never played Champions League, he was League One player of the season last year though.
Alli is also a prodigy who's going to be mind-blowing. My point is that the claims that he fades in and out and doesn't contribute regularly don't actually stand up to the evidence. He's not a starter for us, but as a sub, he's literally excellent.

Actually, yes, he is. Goals+assists+key passes per 90 is level with Alli essentially, and is comparable to wide forwards playing in CL-qualifying teams.

He literally is Champion's League-quality.
No, he really isn't

Biased stats from a limited amount of games will never twist that

You don't need numbers to tell you that either - just a basic understanding of football and a pair of working eyes. Guess how many CL clubs will be queuing to buy him this summer?

Last edited:
Nacer Chadli contributes 2.81 goals, assists and key passes per 90 minutes played. Dele Alli contributes 2.83, Kane contributes exactly 2. There are other players who can contribute like that, but they don't already play for us, know the system (which according to ex-Pochettino players takes a year or more to learn), and don't have a good relationship with the rest of the squad.

If the Spammers offered 15 million, I'm fairly sure Levy would tell them to fuck off on principle, and if another club came along, he'd probably be demanding 25 million, since that's about what he's really worth.

Chadli has been at Tottenham as long as Eriksen and Lamela, both of whom are vital cogs to the Pochettino system. Chadli a key player last season, seems to have regressed (maybe after his father's passing) and not a vital cog, he's been over taken by non-CL experienced players Alli, Kane even Son. You can quote those stats but they are somewhat skewed in that Chadli is not a starter or plays every game. He is useful squad player, but if the right deal came along I would not be sad to see him go, also £25m?:levylol::pochrolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom