Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Lickher Lickher l know you find a lot of things funny, but would you care to explain how Real have gone backwards with Bale, and we have gone forwards without him? Surely you're not one of those fans who thinks that spectacular shots from outside the box make a football team? No, you couldn't be that predictable, could you? We are, indisputably, a better team without him. There is nothing you can say to refute that.

That may have been a misclick, nevertheless not arsed scrolling back to find the original comment Joe Clash Joe Clash , hopefully this doesn't keep you up at night xx

Lickher Lickher l know you find a lot of things funny, but would you care to explain how Real have gone backwards with Bale, and we have gone forwards without him? Surely you're not one of those fans who thinks that spectacular shots from outside the box make a football team? No, you couldn't be that predictable, could you? We are, indisputably, a better team without him. There is nothing you can say to refute that.

Emphasis on the team collective now, we have goals from all over the pitch. Whereas it was give the ball to Bale to take the thunderbastard shot. Not only has Kane out scored Bale's final season tally we are also league top scorers that tells me we have other players that score goals for us. Therefore we are not a 'one man' team.

If we had Kevin de Bruyne, we'd definitely have the league sewn up.

Probably fit better into our system than Bale tbh...
:levyeyes:

I hate to bang on about the defensive qualities of attacking mids. I really do rate attacking skill over defensive ones for that position. However with our style of play, to warrant replacing anyone in the squad, the incoming player must be at least defensive sound and not just look good going forward.

De Bruyne has terrible defensive awareness and simply switches off at key times. For a really good recent example, just last weekend with 93:45 on the clock with four minutes added on. Foster is joining the attack on a corner and City are clinging to three really important point. If ever there was a time to have your head that would be it, and he's thinking about pies or something and very nearly cost them the win. I suspect that's why Mourinho didn't trust him as well.

All this continued and baseless talk of Kane possibly joining United in the media has got me thinking; we are an upwardly mobile club, a club with purpose. Why don't we buy Rashford just so we can do this to all the cunts constantly trying to unsettle us.

:dembelefingers:

All this continued and baseless talk of Kane possibly joining United in the media has got me thinking; we are an upwardly mobile club, a club with purpose. Why don't we buy Rashford just so we can do this to all the cunts constantly trying to unsettle us.

:dembelefingers:

Rashford wouldn't get in our academy. Fraiser Campbell mk2.

Not that I think Kane will leave this year. But, I have been told Jose (wanker) has been informing Kane's father and brother that he should be on £300k per week. Where ever that may be, he can do one. We are one of the most exciting teams about. Not ITK, just what I have heard. Wouldn't suprise me Jose trying to unsettle the best player / team in the league before he goes and lords in up in rainy Madchetser!

That's irrelevant (although I disagree, Rashford has shown more in three months than Campbell ever has) but it's the fact United have a player who they clearly rate/love so to flip the press agenda with Kane and United let's take one off them.

I was being facetious about Rashford clearly a decent player. Much like Kane, youth players given ample opportunity can thrive. Why we'd want to sell Kane to them would only be for record fee and then would he want to leave us? We seem to be going in the right direction and for the first time ever I get everyone at the club believes that.

Not that I think Kane will leave this year. But, I have been told Jose (wanker) has been informing Kane's father and brother that he should be on £300k per week. Where ever that may be, he can do one. We are one of the most exciting teams about. Not ITK, just what I have heard. Wouldn't suprise me Jose trying to unsettle the best player / team in the league before he goes and lords in up in rainy Madchetser!

TBF, that's what I would be doing too, if I was Jose, about to take over ManUtd.

Tap up the premium players of the biggest couple of competitors.

TBF, that's what I would be doing too, if I was Jose, about to take over ManUtd.

Tap up the premium players of the biggest couple of competitors.

I wouldn't. Agents are bad enough on their own, and you should be able to be able to find out what any player's situation is without backhanded tricks. He's just a cunt, who cannot last very long at any club that very reason. At this point he's made so many enemies that he's going to find it harder and harder to get by. And nevermind that his trophyhaul actually warrants something else, but he'll forever be remembered as a controversial manager first and a legendary manager second.

Listen to you! Not ITK... but...

Go back to your own forum. Woolwich?

I really hope we sign Michy Batshuayi

The way the rags keep playing it, he's on our radar. However would he get enough game time with us? Had discussions with others about how he is more likely to go to the Spanners as they would more or less guarantee him being a starter. Whereas Kane would be ahead of him.

The way the rags keep playing it, he's on our radar. However would he get enough game time with us? Had discussions with others about how he is more likely to go to the Spanners as they would more or less guarantee him being a starter. Whereas Kane would be ahead of him.
i think they could both play together. Kane could drop just behind him. i've watched alot of Marseilles games this season mainly to watch him to see what all the fuss is about and he's very good technically. Can shoot with both feet, incredibly powerful, good in the air, surprisingly quick for his size.. plus he's belgian! He fits what we need, young, hungry, good potential.. there's so many games in a season i highly doubt he'd be on the bench week in week out, if he isn't starting with Kane, rotation is key with such a long season.

I don't understand this obsession with game time. We don't want someone with (too much of) an ego to disrupt, but also want players in who're capable of stepping up to replace Kane and Dier respectively when needed and still make a difference.

I'll assume that whoever we try to sign will be told by Poch, that they're wanted, because he believes, they can make a difference for our team. But also, going by how Poch has done things so far, told in no uncertain terms that we have a starting 11 right now, and they'll be outside that 11 when they arrive. Work their ass off in training, and they'll be given the chance on game days soon enough to prove, they should replace someone in the 11. We want players who gets this. We don't want an egomaniac into the squad, but as a top footballer you've gotta have enough ego to believe, you can in fact break into the team, and the work ethic to get there, without being handed any promises. Most of the players we're looking at who've broken into first teams in their teens or early twenties will imo have this mindset. They won't look at Kane and see an impossible task in dislodging his position. They'll see a challenge in taking his spot, doing well enough in a position behind to be selected, or do well enough in Kane's position to "make" Poch play said player up front and Kane behind.

I don't understand this obsession with game time. We don't want someone with (too much of) an ego to disrupt, but also want players in who're capable of stepping up to replace Kane and Dier respectively when needed and still make a difference.

I'll assume that whoever we try to sign will be told by Poch, that they're wanted, because he believes, they can make a difference for our team. But also, going by how Poch has done things so far, told in no uncertain terms that we have a starting 11 right now, and they'll be outside that 11 when they arrive. Work their ass off in training, and they'll be given the chance on game days soon enough to prove, they should replace someone in the 11. We want players who gets this. We don't want an egomaniac into the squad, but as a top footballer you've gotta have enough ego to believe, you can in fact break into the team, and the work ethic to get there, without being handed any promises. Most of the players we're looking at who've broken into first teams in their teens or early twenties will imo have this mindset. They won't look at Kane and see an impossible task in dislodging his position. They'll see a challenge in taking his spot, doing well enough in a position behind to be selected, or do well enough in Kane's position to "make" Poch play said player up front and Kane behind.

This quote from Pochettino...

“It’s easy to identify the players who aren’t happy because they’ve not played much in the last few months. But we are a club. And when you sign a contract as a player, you need to understand that you don’t sign to play, you sign to train. And then the club signs a manager or head coach to pick the players. This is football.”

It is up to the Mitchell, the scouts, Poch, the coaching staff to identify the right players for our squad. Yes players should want to come to us and fight to get in the side. However you just know a number of players signed for big money and wages will harbour an expectation that they are the man, not a player who is joining the collective. Which is why when we are linked to 'named' players you question whether they are the right fit for our squad, we discussed it often enough with the differing opinions on whether getting Gareth Bale back into our current set up would work.

Real gone backwards? In 12/13 they were second in the league, on 85 points, 15 points behind Barca. They reached the semi finals of CL, where they lost to Dortmund, and they lost the copa del rey final to Atletico Madrid.

In 13/14, after getting Bale the summer of '13, they won CL, they won copa del rey, and they finished la liga on 87 points, in third, behind Barca on GD and three points off the winners, Atletico Madrid.

How that is a step backwards, I dunno. And by the way, Bale scored the 2-1 goal in both the copa del rey final and the CL final.

In 2014/15 they lost out to Juventus in the CL semi finals, and they came second in the league, on 92 points, two points behind Barca. They only reached the round of 16 in the copa del rey, but met Atletico in that round. Thry did, however, win the world club cup.

This season they are currently sitting one point behind Barca and Atletico in the league, but have shown better form since ridding themselves of Benitez. They have reached the semi finals of the CL yet again. In copa del rey they went out early, but only because they used a player who wasn't allowed to play - hardly Bale's fault.

So, how excactly have they gone backwards?

Us? We went backwards when we lost him, no doubt. When we had the manager we had with Bale, pretty much the same players with the addition of about €80M worth of players, we were a lot worse than we were with him. That, though, had a lot to do with AVBs shitty, stale tactics requiring magic from individuals, something which Bale could produce but his replacements could not.

Our team now vs our team then can hardly be compared. We play in a different way, with different personell. Yeah, we're better now than we were with Bale, but not because Bale isn't here.

He would be the absolute perfect player to take us into that world class bracket. We need that one player that can perform magic when the team struggles. And that can provide 20 goals per season for fun.

Yes, Kane outscores what Bale did in his best years. But they don't play in the same role. Bale wouldn't take (many, if any) goals out of Kane's tally, but add to the team's.

We would, clearly, be a better team with Bale.

Real gone backwards? In 12/13 they were second in the league, on 85 points, 15 points behind Barca. They reached the semi finals of CL, where they lost to Dortmund, and they lost the copa del rey final to Atletico Madrid.

In 13/14, after getting Bale the summer of '13, they won CL, they won copa del rey, and they finished la liga on 87 points, in third, behind Barca on GD and three points off the winners, Atletico Madrid.

How that is a step backwards, I dunno. And by the way, Bale scored the 2-1 goal in both the copa del rey final and the CL final.

In 2014/15 they lost out to Juventus in the CL semi finals, and they came second in the league, on 92 points, two points behind Barca. They only reached the round of 16 in the copa del rey, but met Atletico in that round. Thry did, however, win the world club cup.

This season they are currently sitting one point behind Barca and Atletico in the league, but have shown better form since ridding themselves of Benitez. They have reached the semi finals of the CL yet again. In copa del rey they went out early, but only because they used a player who wasn't allowed to play - hardly Bale's fault.

So, how excactly have they gone backwards?

Us? We went backwards when we lost him, no doubt. When we had the manager we had with Bale, pretty much the same players with the addition of about €80M worth of players, we were a lot worse than we were with him. That, though, had a lot to do with AVBs shitty, stale tactics requiring magic from individuals, something which Bale could produce but his replacements could not.

Our team now vs our team then can hardly be compared. We play in a different way, with different personell. Yeah, we're better now than we were with Bale, but not because Bale isn't here.

He would be the absolute perfect player to take us into that world class bracket. We need that one player that can perform magic when the team struggles. And that can provide 20 goals per season for fun.

Yes, Kane outscores what Bale did in his best years. But they don't play in the same role. Bale wouldn't take (many, if any) goals out of Kane's tally, but add to the team's.

We would, clearly, be a better team with Bale.

I'm not questioning Bale's ability, as he is clearly an 'elite' level player. Whose place in our current team does he take? We already have players that can perform magic, and a player that provides 20+ goals a season already. You think that Bale and Kane together can easily top 40+ goals between them, I can't remember the last time a team in the PL having 2 players with such high goal scoring output?

Back
Top Bottom