Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well we don't want or need Lukaku, we don't want or need Bale, just trying to find our level mate. I stand by it, Messi and Ronaldo are the world's best and then there is a bracket of player that includes the likes of Bale, Suarez, Lewandoski etc.

Bale isn't even close to Suarez and Lewandowski

Going beyond the debate on Bale and other specific players, I think, Poch has some tough decisions coming up. Though I'm for bringing in Bale should he be deemed to fit in and the opportunity arise, I'm in more generel terms on the side of those saying, we should very look to keep what we have and slowly build on it. I think all the players who've been a part of this season deserves the chance to be a part of its further development. That's not to say, we shouldn't look to improve our squad, but it should be something special to make any kind of deals.

To illustrate look closer at our squad. Poch is on record, not too long after joining us, saying he wanted a squad of no more than 25. Most will look to build their squad with two players for each position, except GKs with 3 and forwards/strikers. The last one will be the most debateable, going on past experience on here. I'll confidently claim that no modern team (that are playing with 1 striker) has 3 strikers in their squad. Strikers and forwards are closer in skill sets than they've ever been. Ideally you'd want 2 who'd be considered striker and 1 forward, but most, like us, have 1 striker and 2 forwards.

Right now, we've got 23 players who imo can be said to be legitimately a part of the team. That leaves two slots in Poch's mindset. For me, we've absolutely got to fill one of them with a central defender, as this is the only position with less than 2 players per position. Leaving just one slot. And with most in agreement that we need at least one forward/striker and a back-up for Dier, something's gotta give. Especially since we've, beyond those 23, have quite a few youngsters pushing on to get in, and we all know that Poch prefers to promote from within. Yedlin, Carter-Wickers, KWP, Oduwa, Pritchard, Winks plus whoever else Poch might have taken a liking to.

The point to all this being that I think, we're in for a summer of hurt, compared to most people's expectations. Let's just hope, we'll be looking back in a year's time and saying that Poch was right and we're all uninformed cunts, as has been the case with everyone screaming bloody murder over no DCM and the emergance of Dier as a monster.

I thought Modric knuckled down in his last season with us.

He did indeed. I was more refering to after the season. As I recall the two situations, Modric going on strike is an indisputable fact, whereas a strike and a convinient injury with Bale is just rumours. Likewise, Modric (or his agent, I forget) used the media to get move which hurt our club and team. Bale kept whatever was happening in-house.

He did indeed. I was more refering to after the season. As I recall the two situations, Modric going on strike is an undesputeable fact, whereas a strike and a convinient injury with Bale is just rumours. Likewise, Modric (or his agent, I forget) used the media to get move which hurt our club and team. Bale kept whatever was happening in-house.

I don't grudge him that at all tbh. He was getting a 100k a week payrise and was promised the move a season before. He was well within his rights to make sure he got what he was promised, to get paid and to have some success in his career that he may or may not have gotten here.

Its funny that when a player outgrows a club half the fans call him a wanker for moving on to bigger and better things, yet when we outgrow a player who may love the club we rarely give them a second thought when calling for them to be shifted.

Going beyond the debate on Bale and other specific players, I think, Poch has some tough decisions coming up. Though I'm for bringing in Bale should he be deemed to fit in and the opportunity arise, I'm in more generel terms on the side of those saying, we should very look to keep what we have and slowly build on it. I think all the players who've been a part of this season deserves the chance to be a part of its further development. That's not to say, we shouldn't look to improve our squad, but it should be something special to make any kind of deals.

To illustrate look closer at our squad. Poch is on record, not too long after joining us, saying he wanted a squad of no more than 25. Most will look to build their squad with two players for each position, except GKs with 3 and forwards/strikers. The last one will be the most debateable, going on past experience on here. I'll confidently claim that no modern team (that are playing with 1 striker) has 3 strikers in their squad. Strikers and forwards are closer in skill sets than they've ever been. Ideally you'd want 2 who'd be considered striker and 1 forward, but most, like us, have 1 striker and 2 forwards.

Right now, we've got 23 players who imo can be said to be legitimately a part of the team. That leaves two slots in Poch's mindset. For me, we've absolutely got to fill one of them with a central defender, as this is the only position with less than 2 players per position. Leaving just one slot. And with most in agreement that we need at least one forward/striker and a back-up for Dier, something's gotta give. Especially since we've, beyond those 23, have quite a few youngsters pushing on to get in, and we all know that Poch prefers to promote from within. Yedlin, Carter-Wickers, KWP, Oduwa, Pritchard, Winks plus whoever else Poch might have taken a liking to.

The point to all this being that I think, we're in for a summer of hurt, compared to most people's expectations. Let's just hope, we'll be looking back in a year's time and saying that Poch was right and we're all uninformed cunts, as has been the case with everyone screaming bloody murder over no DCM and the emergance of Dier as a monster.
CDM is more important IMO than a defender. Dier is a converted defender & could slip back into defence as cover for Toby if needed. That leaves his position uncovered if he did have to slot in. A CF is the most obvious weakness. We have been lucky with Harry that he hasn't been injured or picked up suspensions. His early season dip in form was replaced with a sharp spike in form

I don't grudge him that at all tbh. He was getting a 100k a week payrise and was promised the move a season before. He was well within his rights to make sure he got what he was promised, to get paid and to have some success in his career that he may or may not have gotten here.

Its funny that when a player outgrows a club half the fans call him a wanker for moving on to bigger and better things, yet when we outgrow a player who may love the club we rarely give them a second thought when calling for them to be shifted.

I don't hold it against players if they go about getting their move the right way. The club is expected to fulfill our end of the deal in terms of the contract. I fail to see why the player on the other end of the deal shouldn't be expected to fulfill their end. Yes, they can make it be known internally at the club, that they'd like out, just like the club can let a player know, that he's no longer needed. But there's a right and wrong way to do so in both cases.

CDM is more important IMO than a defender. Dier is a converted defender & could slip back into defence as cover for Toby if needed. That leaves his position uncovered if he did have to slot in. A CF is the most obvious weakness. We have been lucky with Harry that he hasn't been injured or picked up suspensions. His early season dip in form was replaced with a sharp spike in form

When a change is enforced at CB, then making it two positions changed for the same match in such a key area by moving Dier back, can never be a good thing. That should be an absolute last resort.

1) Striker
2) CM

IF we keep everyone and bring in the above 2 positions i will be happy to be honest (i'm talking about a quality striker and a CM that will really push Dembele and Dier). Although bringing in a CM will mean we will probably sell at least 1 (i would say Carroll). Benteleb is obviously on the fringes now but he offers far more than Carroll and Mason imo so hopefully Poch sticks with him.

When a change is enforced at CB, then making it two positions changed for the same match in such a key area by moving Dier back, can never be a good thing. That should be an absolute last resort.
Eric would slot in perfectly well. I think the system is fluid enough to allow for that without too much disruption. It allows us to be a little more bold In the market in terms of a quality CM.

I personally don't see Chadli being sold to raise funds. He's a useful squad player and continues to pick up points for the club. If he was as useless as Townsend we would sell, but he isn't. He's a very versatile attacking player with some good ability and decent decision making. The fact he gets so many goals/assists means we will likely keep him around, even just as a squad player/bench player. He's a good sub to have and is a drastic step up from when we had the likes of David "always looking to replicate that 40 yard screamer" Bentley.

Chadli's worth £25m mate :chadliwtf::levywhoa:

Chadli's worth £25m mate :chadliwtf::levywhoa:

You can give me a sarcastic reply all you want, I'd say 18 to a rival club and 15 to a club in a different league. But that still doesn't mean we can replace what he brings in to the club and the squad. If it weren't for him we would have lost points at Palace. You all keep saying other players are better and fit the system better, but in that game they didn't make the difference and his not fitting in the team allowed us to unlock Palace.

Had we not won that game we would be 10 points off of the title and it could be over this weekend. Do you really think Josh Onomah would have had that affect on the game even though it's "only Palace"

You can give me a sarcastic reply all you want, I'd say 18 to a rival club and 15 to a club in a different league. But that still doesn't mean we can replace what he brings in to the club and the squad. If it weren't for him we would have lost points at Palace. You all keep saying other players are better and fit the system better, but in that game they didn't make the difference and his not fitting in the team allowed us to unlock Palace.

Had we not won that game we would be 10 points off of the title and it could be over this weekend. Do you really think Josh Onomah would have had that affect on the game even though it's "only Palace"

You can't deny his contribution against Palace. I'd just like to see more like it. It's not his ability that's in question - it's the inconsistency in his performances. It's frustrating to watch.

Care to elaborate?

I'm not slating our teams performances and am overjoyed with our current crop.

Fact remains though we are a work in progress and have no players who can demonstrate that level of quality on a consistent basis

You're saying he's the only player who can win a game on his own? Who can? If he was that good he'd start every week. No player is consistent week in, week out, but IMO he's the most inconsistent player in the squad. (Least consistent?) Anyway, we disagree on his value to the team. It's ok. This is football.

You're saying he's the only player who can win a game on his own? Who can? If he was that good he'd start every week. No player is consistent week in, week out, but IMO he's the most inconsistent player in the squad. (Least consistent?) Anyway, we disagree on his value to the team. It's ok. This is football.

Not the only player who can , certainly not. But a player of his calibre are what can make a good team great.

I can't bring myself to dislike him either as he was the talisman of the club in one of our most exiting seasons in recent history

Not the only player who can , certainly not. But a player of his calibre are what can make a good team great.

I can't bring myself to dislike him either as he was the talisman of the club in one of our most exiting seasons in recent history
Would you agree he's the only player not to have improved under Poch?

Edit. Sorry, you did say he was the only player in that bracket. That's what I thought was funny.

Back
Top Bottom