Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So for those who disagree, would you be content with just Wanyama and Janssen this summer?
What I disagree with is that I have to suffer this same fucking question every season, with an ever revolving cast of names, absolutely regardless of how many or few we've already signed.

It's about improving. Yes we had a great season last time, do we just sit around and pat ourselves on the back?

No we look to improve and you do that by adding to areas in the squad which are deficient. One such area is having a different option when plan A isn't working.

Having someone who can come off the bench and offer something different is vital and could have turned some of those games we dominated but drew, into wins.

Lets look at it this way:

Woolwich : Sanchez
Man United: Martial
Chelsea: Hazard
Man City : Aguero
Liverpool: Sturridge
Leicester : Mahrez

All our rivals have players that are great in one-on-one duels and we simply do not. There are very slight improvements needed for this Spurs team but that is one of them and if you can't see that then I don't know what to say.

Someone of the ilk of Boufal or even Berahino would be great.
We have midfield sorted with Wanyama and Janssen will provide the striking cover.

All that's left is an injection of pace and dribbling ability.

You mention having someone to come off the bench as a plan B, and then mention six players who're all 60m+ players :pocheyes: They don't use those players as a plan B. They're set up to use their skills from the off.

And yes, we can improve, so you can stop not knowing what to say. Suggesting we improve with players with a skill set not being utilized in our tactical set-up is the bizarre part. Instead of wanting a player with those abilities for the squad, maybe stop and consider why that's the situation is that we don't have one. Could it be that Poch doesn't feel, it's what we need?

We need a few players. Being a fan does not or should not preclude posters from having their say which at times can be critical.
At times, mate. Not all the fucking time!

If at the end of this coming season it's evident that our transfer activity cost us the title or top 4, then bitch and moan away and tell us "I told you so." In the meantime, just sit back and enjoy this great Spurs project. You'll be happier for it, trust me.

That's not the point though smart ass. The point is that palace are more than capable to go out and spend large amounts of money on certain individuals they need but Spurs now for the 4th transfer window running are dithering on another striker target when clearly we are in desperate need for one. Rather than throw your toys out the pram and accuse every spurs fan who questions our transfer policy, think about it.......4 transfer windows and still no striker. How is this acceptable?
I didn't realize this transfer window had closed...
:dempsey:

Lets look at it this way:

Woolwich : Sanchez
Man United: Martial
Chelsea: Hazard
Man City : Aguero
Liverpool: Sturridge
Leicester : Mahrez

Clearly you didn't see both Sanchez and Hazard have terrible season's. The Chav's finished a mighty 9th and Woolwich lucked out with our collapse. We had our own winners who arguably did it more than those names mentioned. Sturridge and Aguero are injury prone and were out scored by Kane. Martial was good in patches but certainly not consistent. Mahrez also had periods of going missing. Considering our squad was 'only' good enough for top 6 last season, I think the signs are there for us to do well with just a few new faces. We don't need wholesale changes as our first 11 is more than a match for anyone.

So, if we struggled so much at unlocking these defences because we lacked dribbling and pace, how'd we score the second most goals in the league and carve open the best defences in the league quite regularly?

Or did you not actually watch the games so you missed how our offence worked?

Sorry but if you watched us every week, it was abundantly clear we were struggling to unlock teams and lacked that bit of class that could turn draws into wins.

Our chance to goal ratio must have been crap imo

I understand the arguments for spending sensibly and I'm not saying go spunk £30 mil on any cunt.
But lets face it, in order to sign someone who is going to come directly into the first-team or be an upgrade on the likes of Son, Chadli and N'Jie from the bench, we will need to spend big.

Using the post-Gareth Bale splurge as reason why we shouldn't spend big is also disingenuous. We didn't have Paul Mitchel back then, we didn't have Pochettino and we didn't have the same cohesion ross the club.

I trust the new transfer set up to identify the right targets and I just don't see there being the possibility of another Soldado signing.

The reason I'm so desperate to strengthen and strengthen big is because we massively overachieved last season while most of the big boys massively underachieved. They will do everything they can to change that this summer and they are well under way in the process.

Should we exit the Champions League at the group stages next season and finish 5th then the likes of Dier, Alli, Lloris and Alderweireld will all have their heads turned.

Players can give it large about staying for the project and wanting to stay for the new stadium but that's a couple years away and if we fail to compete for the league or qualify for the Champions League, our biggest stars will likely leave.

We're once again at a watershed moment. Do we back the manager and give him the finances to take this team to another level or do we aim low and hope he produces another miracle season.
Not many top players will put their careers on hold whilst we take a few years to sort out the stadium & the cost of it.

To be fair, players don't come to us to win things. We aren't that sort of team if we are being honest.

But it will be a big test when bigger & better clubs come calling & we are suffering from the big stadium move.

Clearly you didn't see both Sanchez and Hazard have terrible season's. The Chav's finished a mighty 9th and Woolwich lucked out with our collapse. We had our own winners who arguably did it more than those names mentioned. Sturridge and Aguero are injury prone and were out scored by Kane. Martial was good in patches but certainly not consistent. Mahrez also had periods of going missing. Considering our squad was 'only' good enough for top 6 last season, I think the signs are there for us to do well with just a few new faces. We don't need wholesale changes as our first 11 is more than a match for anyone.

Hazard yes I agree but Martial and in particular Sanchez were crucial for their teams. Sanchez is a game changer who even when Woolwich play badly which happened all the time last season baled them out.

A wide forward like Sanchez or Martial would significantly add firepower to our team and it is the type of player we lack really.

Sorry but if you watched us every week, it was abundantly clear we were struggling to unlock teams and lacked that bit of class that could turn draws into wins.

Our chance to goal ratio must have been crap imo
Well, at 658 total shots, we were #2 in Europe behind Real Madrid, and #1 in England. Our 69 goals were #10 across Europe, and #2 in England, giving us a conversion rate of 10.5%, which was lower than some, but we did not get any ridiculous luck, unlike some (like Leicester). We also struck the bar frequently.

Now, if you want to claim we struggled to break teams down, you can, but to claim we struggled more than others is actually measurable.

We had the most shots (658), and most shots on target (250) in the Premier League. So, we didn't struggle to make chances. We only scored the second most goals (69). So, other teams converted more of their chances. But, while creating chances is repeatable, conversion % is not. There is no way to predict who will get lucky on conversion % next year. It's not something controllable, and signing some "magic" dribbler won't change that.

Our ability to create chances is repeatable, and we are already the best in England at that.

Hazard yes I agree but Martial and in particular Sanchez were crucial for their teams. Sanchez is a game changer who even when Woolwich play badly which happened all the time last season baled them out.

A wide forward like Sanchez or Martial would significantly add firepower to our team and it is the type of player we lack really.
Sanchez actually underperformed extremely badly last year, with a really low conversion %. He bailed them out of nothing.

Well, at 658 total shots, we were #2 in Europe behind Real Madrid, and #1 in England. Our 69 goals were #10 across Europe, and #2 in England, giving us a conversion rate of 10.5%, which was lower than some, but we did not get any ridiculous luck, unlike some (like Leicester). We also struck the bar frequently.

Now, if you want to claim we struggled to break teams down, you can, but to claim we struggled more than others is actually measurable.

We had the most shots (658), and most shots on target (250) in the Premier League. So, we didn't struggle to make chances. We only scored the second most goals (69). So, other teams converted more of their chances. But, while creating chances is repeatable, conversion % is not. There is no way to predict who will get lucky on conversion % next year. It's not something controllable, and signing some "magic" dribbler won't change that.

Our ability to create chances is repeatable, and we are already the best in England at that.

Invariably strikers convert more of their chances. Our inability to score more from the opportunities we created was on nearly every occasion I can remember the reason we lost winning positions.

None of this is difficult to understand which is why I find our elongated and protracted negotiations such a fcuking joke.

It is just like the Brexiteers. Never really wanted to leave the EU as in we don't really want to challenge because we would not know how to cope if we actually won the Premier.

£15mill wow - much more than expected but then again they pd 34 odd for mane - overpriced. Seems the EPL money making some clubs silly.
Is Mason price now gonna go up over 10? Bet levy trying it on.

Mason is a full England international, that surely adds £5m+ to his value, he must be worth equal/more than Townsend who was sold for £12-14m! :levyeyes:

Invariably strikers convert more of their chances. Our inability to score more from the opportunities we created was on nearly every occasion I can remember the reason we lost winning positions.
Two problems here:
1) Strikers convert more of their chances. Actually not true. Strikers shoot more, and seem to show aptitude at taking shots (hence how they got to be strikers), but not at converting them to goals. This has been measured, and is clear. Conversion % is not repeatable save for very few players.
2) You remember something. Memory is faliable. As in, not reliable. I don't care what you remember. I care what actually happened. Between stats and video, we can actually see everything that really did happen.

None of this is difficult to understand which is why I find our elongated and protracted negotiations such a fcuking joke.
It's not hard to understand your point, no. It just happens to be factually incorrect.

It is just like the Brexiteers. Never really wanted to leave the EU as in we don't really want to challenge because we would not know how to cope if we actually won the Premier.
As a Canadian, it wouldn't be right for me to waste a transfer thread on your national collective idiocy. I said my points already in the Brexit thread. Go there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom