Strikers

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why don't Spurs play Scarlett or Veliz as striker? Why did we sign them? People say they too young and not ready, but Spurs looking at buying 18 year old Evan Ferguson from Brighton. If Spurs signed him last year he would be loaned out to some Greek 2nd division team and we wouldn't have heard of him. Big clubs don't develop anyone. If you were a young striker you wouldn't want to sign with a big club. Go and sign with a middle tier team where you might get a game. Use Scarlett and Veliz.

I think we'll see at least ONE of Veliz or Scarlett on the bench regularly this season...
...why not? Nothing to lose until we sign a Kane replacement, and let's face it, when Kane first burst onto the scene, he had Ade & Soldado to 'displace'
... Scarlett or Veliz have Richie Laaaa to get past....

I know what I'd rather!

Think we'll see Veliz used at some stage and then assess his situation in Jan, expect Scarlett to head out on loan. Looking at Ferguson because he's superior to both players and the closest thing in world football you could project as being the next Harry Kane. Will join United, City etc in 2yrs time imo. Think we'll sign Orban or some other striker of that mould, quick, darting runs in space between cb's, ability to quickly shift the ball and get shots away.

Why don't Spurs play Scarlett or Veliz as striker? Why did we sign them? People say they too young and not ready, but Spurs looking at buying 18 year old Evan Ferguson from Brighton. If Spurs signed him last year he would be loaned out to some Greek 2nd division team and we wouldn't have heard of him. Big clubs don't develop anyone. If you were a young striker you wouldn't want to sign with a big club. Go and sign with a middle tier team where you might get a game. Use Scarlett and Veliz.
Scarlett not good enough to be our striker. He needs to go on loan and score goals regularly. It never really happened for him on loan last season so another loan is the best for him. As for Veliz,Ange has said he won’t feature much and needs time to settle but if he’s flying in training regularly then I’m sure we’ll see him soon enough.

I think you have a point. How long ago when again we were short of strikers did Mourinho say Parrot was not ready. Well he still is not ready as he has no squad number. Maybe he never will be. Ange has said Veliz is not ready for this season. We do need someone experienced but that does not exclude the young as long as they have experience. If we use Scarlett or Veliz as Richie's back up this season then we will struggle. I have repeatedly said we need someone else but that does not exclude Scarlett getting some experience as Richie is injury prone. He should be on the bench at present as we have no alternative.

Last Sunday the attacking subs were Perisic who is really a Wing Back but can play on the left up front, Soloman who again plays as a wide man. Richie could not be subbed as there was no player that could play the central striker role. Some will say Son can play there but he is too small to head crosses and went off in the 75th min. Just buy an experienced central striker.

I think there’s more chance of them getting a go than under the three prior continental idiots which is reassuring. For now, let’s give Brazils 9 a run of 10 games or so and see how the yoots match up in training

I’m absolutely aligned with giving youngsters an opportunity and I want to see Devine pushing Kulu etc, rather than us buying a body.

I think you have a point. How long ago when again we were short of strikers did Mourinho say Parrot was not ready. Well he still is not ready as he has no squad number. Maybe he never will be. Ange has said Veliz is not ready for this season. We do need someone experienced but that does not exclude the young as long as they have experience. If we use Scarlett or Veliz as Richie's back up this season then we will struggle. I have repeatedly said we need someone else but that does not exclude Scarlett getting some experience as Richie is injury prone. He should be on the bench at present as we have no alternative.

Last Sunday the attacking subs were Perisic who is really a Wing Back but can play on the left up front, Soloman who again plays as a wide man. Richie could not be subbed as there was no player that could play the central striker role. Some will say Son can play there but he is too small to head crosses and went off in the 75th min. Just buy an experienced central striker.
Perisic is not "really a wingback", he's a left winger who has been used as a wingback in recent years.

Perisic is really the opposite, a winger who was developed into a wingback.

Think we'll see Veliz used at some stage and then assess his situation in Jan, expect Scarlett to head out on loan. Looking at Ferguson because he's superior to both players and the closest thing in world football you could project as being the next Harry Kane. Will join United, City etc in 2yrs time imo. Think we'll sign Orban or some other striker of that mould, quick, darting runs in space between cb's, ability to quickly shift the ball and get shots away.
Scarlett has been England’s main man in every age group. In what world is Ferguson superior?

Scarlett has been England’s main man in every age group. In what world is Ferguson superior?
I think the point is that Ferguson has a style that is closer to Kane's than Dane does. Not that Ferguson is an out and out higher quality player.

Dane is a more direct style of striker. at least for now. Whereas Ferguson can drop deeper and play with his back to goal similarly to Harry.

I think the point is that Ferguson has a style that is closer to Kane's than Dane does. Not that Ferguson is an out and out higher quality player.

Dane is a more direct style of striker. at least for now. Whereas Ferguson can drop deeper and play with his back to goal similarly to Harry.
Scarlett's style probably suits how we are set up now, shame he had a knock for the majority of the preseason

Is that a serious question? Have you even watched Ferguson ? Never mind you don’t even need to watch highlights, he’s 18 years old and he has the physique of a fully grown man. He is without exaggeration, ten times the player Scarlett is.

Sorry, but this almost doesn't merit serious response. Scarlett is a promising goalscorer and I don't want to slate him, but Ferguson is a different level of player altogether.

Last edited:
richarlison plays on the shoulder of the defence. it's not his fault that Brentford played on their own 18 yard line for 85 minutes, with another five players in front of them lol

if we're going to buy another forward, the criteria is simple; fast and plays on the defensive line to run onto through balls. an eye for goal too, but that goes without saying

I would not be surprised to learn that Scarlett is our most consistent & technically sound finisher in training.

It's clear he's modelled his finishing technique on Kane, and I suspect he's a better pure finisher than Richarlison, Veliz, and perhaps even Sonny.

His loan at Pompey started very well (their fans loved him), but then a combination of injuries & tactical changes derailed his season.

Let's not forget that whilst Kane had four loans, he was prolific in none of them. In his final loan to Leicester in the Championship, he scored 2 in 13.

And when Sherwood gave him a run in the team, our then DoF Baldini told Levy that Kane wasn't good enough & we should flog him for less than a million quid (according to Sherwood).

As others have said, Ange's system fits Scarlett's predatory skillset perfectly.

The wildcard is, as we all know, he is unproven in competitive men's football.

At the very least, Scarlett needs a loan to a club where he will play every week as a CF. But depending on the state of our squad at the end of the window, if Scarlett continues to impress Ange in training & with his attitude, then I'd be happier to keep him as striker depth than loan him to sit on some other club's bench.

Experience and end product in senior football.

Scarlett could overtake him but at this point in his development, he's way behind him.

What I don't know is how many goals Ferguson scored at lower levels before getting his chance at Brighton.

Experience and end product in senior football.

Scarlett could overtake him but at this point in his development, he's way behind him.

What I don't know is how many goals Ferguson scored at lower levels before getting his chance at Brighton.
What I can see he scored no goals in senior football for the Irish team he came from and has had no loans since joining Brighton

Donley
Scarlett
Parror
Veliz
Orban (?)

Pilling up young STs to the expense of none of them really getting the development curve and gametime that they need would be a very recent Spurs thing to do.......

People need to understand academies don't produce Harry Kanes every 5/10 years.

We have wasted our luck to due bad owners, now we have to wait for another 40–50 years to luck out on another Harry Kane.

Back
Top Bottom