Squad Numbers

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why do the players care? Commercial purposes I imagine, Ronaldo and Beckham spring to mind in extreme examples.
Well, players who don't earn any money at all by kicking a ball seem to care tremendously too. We had brawls for certain numbers when we were 12-15 years old. I didn't get it then and I don't get it now either.

Superstition maybe?

Well, players who don't earn any money at all by kicking a ball seem to care tremendously too. We had brawls for certain numbers when we were 12-15 years old. I didn't get it then and I don't get it now either.

Superstition maybe?
It's always been a big deal to me but I don't really know why, I guess it's an OCD thing, it frustrated me tremendously when important players had silly numbers that didn't suit them as a player or their style of play. Dempsey as number 2 is an easy example. But I do appreciate some players have an affinity with their numbers such as Dawson with 20 and Ledley 26. Needless to say I was pleased when Walker finally took number 2 and Lloris number 1.

It's always been a big deal to me but I don't really know why, I guess it's an OCD thing, it frustrated me tremendously when important players had silly numbers that didn't suit them as a player or their style of play. Dempsey as number 2 is an easy example. But I do appreciate some players have an affinity with their numbers such as Dawson with 20 and Ledley 26. Needless to say I was pleased when Walker finally took number 2 and Lloris number 1.
Same, when I played football every year I'd choose the number 23 shirt because that's my lucky number. In high school my teacher\manager give me the 11 shirt and I was pissed, said I wouldn't play in it lol. Some people like the numbers :kaboullol:

not wanting ot read too much into it, but I cant help thinking that the current player numbers system reflects the shift from club to player in terms of focus. Players are no longer doing a job for a club, 1-11 and they fit into their position at the club and on the field. Its now all about them. I'm number 23 and my names Bob Carolgees, forget about the badge its number 23, Carolgees, 23, B.O.B, whats that, your daughter is 23 - no shes fuckin not, I'm 23 - she can be 23 if she pays me. Speak to my agent. buy my socks theyve got 23 on the side.

15 probably, it's what he had in Lisbon. Shouldn't really pay attention to numbers in pre season. Bale had like 4 different ones before he settled on 11 that one Summer I think.

...yeah, Bale had more like 85 million numbers!! greedy glory-hunting fucker... why couldn't he stick around with US a while longer for Europa League football, rather than 'plumping' for Champions League & Super Cup glory within 12 months of setting foot in Madrid!

Well this throws a spanner in the works..
Can't help but think Capoue's move from 15 to 29 is done just to free up the more desirable number 15 as he knows he's leaving the club, Just like Scott Parker's change from 8 to 6 before his sale for Paulinho. The idea that he's taking it because it's his favourite doesn't really fly with me since the number was free last season when he signed. Jake Livermore had 29 last but left on loan to Hull the day before Capoue signed and later took the number 15 shirt if Wikipedia serves me correctly.
Chadli's move seems trivial although it's probably a preference thing. Eric Dier to 15 makes sense but it would really frustrate me if, like Lamela and Chiriches last season, he wears this number in Europe but another, like 25, in the league. Hopefully not. Young Ben sticking with 33 until Rose leaves and free's up 3 I guess.

Can't help but think Capoue's move from 15 to 29 is done just to free up the more desirable number 15 as he knows he's leaving the club, Just like Scott Parker's change from 8 to 6 before his sale for Paulinho. The idea that he's taking it because it's his favourite doesn't really fly with me since the number was free last season when he signed. Jake Livermore had 29 last but left on loan to Hull the day before Capoue signed and later took the number 15 shirt if Wikipedia serves me correctly.
Chadli's move seems trivial although it's probably a preference thing. Eric Dier to 15 makes sense but it would really frustrate me if, like Lamela and Chiriches last season, he wears this number in Europe but another, like 25, in the league. Hopefully not. Young Ben sticking with 33 until Rose leaves and free's up 3 I guess.
They only wore different numbers because they signed after we'd submitted our squad for the europa league and you could only use one number per player per season for some silly reason. Shouldn't be a problem at the minute...

They only wore different numbers because they signed after we'd submitted our squad for the europa league and you could only use one number per player per season for some silly reason. Shouldn't be a problem at the minute...
You're right, could only imagine this problem with late transfers

1-11 are the only 'desirable' numbers IMHO!!
15, 25, 29, 45, what next 100??
...farkin' Weld's gawn mad dunnit?

Can't help but think Capoue's move from 15 to 29 is done just to free up the more desirable number 15 as he knows he's leaving the club, Just like Scott Parker's change from 8 to 6 before his sale for Paulinho.

You mean......we are selling MINI YAYA!!??

:avbshock:

2014-15 SQUAD NUMBERS

1 Hugo Lloris
2 Kyle Walker
3 Danny Rose
4 Younes Kaboul
5 Jan Vertonghen
6 Vlad Chiriches
7 Aaron Lennon
8 Paulinho
9 Roberto Soldado
10 Emmanuel Adebayor