Spurs Youth 2021/22

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Really need to start loaning some of these lads out

Fully agree

The u23 side this season has a group of players every bit as good as any over the last 10 years - time to find out which individuals excel n the lower leagues against mens teams and might be candidates for Spurs first team.

We probably need to be looking at ten or a dozen out on loan - providing lower league clubs can take them - Austin or Whiteman, Etete, Bowden, (both just called back from L2 clubs after looking very good), and most of the u21's who looked consistently good in first half of season, White, Markanday, Lyons-Foster, Lavenier, Omole, John, the possibly still injured J'Neil Bennet who did ok at Crewe and a couple of others are realistic loan options.

Even if all these were loaned out we could still field a decent u21 team.

And out of these loans we might get a couple of genuine Spurs first team candidates which might fill a position or two, and importantly, help resolve our limited number of decent HG players

Last edited:
Excellent team goal, but also excellent finish from Markanday.

Given the squad we have, and its limited depth, still surprised several youngsters such as Markanday and White have not been used
Yeah would of liked them being around the team against Morecambe, need to be loaned out now.

Really hope we get things right with Markanday this month. Guy looks too good to be playing u23's, and you have to give him a chance to develop in men's football, and some indication that there's a path for him to getting gametime for the first team.

Excellent team goal, but also excellent finish from Markanday.

Given the squad we have, and its limited depth, still surprised several youngsters such as Markanday and White have not been used

IMO will take the piss, if Markanday doesn't get a few minutes in a game where Dele does (or NDombele, as it would be a 'protecting first team legs' period anyway).

Real shame I suspect they are judging on size parameters with him (as he's technically easily good enough to be in the - let's expose them and see if they fight or flight, group).

Loan to Championship I hope. Must be plenty of interest with his (now prolonged) form.

IMO will take the piss, if Markanday doesn't get a few minutes in a game where Dele does (or NDombele, as it would be a 'protecting first team legs' period anyway).

Real shame I suspect they are judging on size parameters with him (as he's technically easily good enough to be in the - let's expose them and see if they fight or flight, group).

Loan to Championship I hope. Must be plenty of interest with his (now prolonged) form.

Aaron Lennon was about 1.65 m (5 foot 4 inches) and Jermain Defo about 1/7 metres (5 foot 6 inches) so hope they are not using a height argument against 1.78 metres high Dilan Markanday.

To me the video of his goal is reminiscent of a goal by 1.83 metre high Heung-Min Son, but perhaps that is because I've seen Son's goals more recently.

Either way its a real shame Markanday wasn't playing with first team in pre-season (and neither was Harvey White another noticeable absentee) and youngsters were not being played in ECL games even though he was on the bench a couple of times. eg Pacos on 26 August :

Spurs 3-0 Pacos de Ferreira (agg 3-1)​

Spurs (3-4-2-1): Gollini, Dier, Romero, Davies, Doherty, Winks, Lo Celso, Sessegnon (Hojbjerg 63), Lucas (Dele 83), Bryan (Bergwijn 72), Kane (c) (Son 72). Substitutes (not used): Austin, Paskotsi, Sanchez, Reguilon, Skipp, John, Markanday, Scarlett.

I'd guess in too many of the ECL matches its because various fringe players didn't turn up and in turn Nuno decided to persevere with those rather than saying 'if you don't want to play, I'll player youngsters who do'

There have been plenty of rumours of Championship clubs interested in him - and they should be - but I don't know whether he has yet extended his contract which ends on 39 June 2022 (I think), and alongside that what he's been offered both in terms of wages/length and what has been said about playing at Spurs in the future.

I worry that Markanday is not the only u23 whose contract/future has not been sorted out too - and if so that's just very short sighted.

Edit :

Position with his contract isn't clear

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom