Spurs v Liverpool 16 Dec 20:00

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This just feels like the Leicester season all over again to me, tight season nobody wanting to go on and win it, and we fall short.

Pinning my hopes on Europa but it really feels like there is something in the DNA of this club that means we ain't ever going to win fuck all of any note.

I'm going to bed, maybe It will feel better in the morning, but I've seen this so many times, every semi final and final when it counts we don't have the minerals.

Night all
Sleep on it man. It's not that bad. We showed more than enough to suggest that we have every chance of winning something this year. Ive loved some of our recent teams under Redknapp and Poch but there is a resilience in this side that i havnt seen before. It may not be as good to watch but its much more effective.

For me, being Spurs for 25 years, this is the most capable team i have seen in terms of effectivness and at the end of the day, that wins things more often that pretty football. It's been a long and slow progression the last 20 years or so but we have the right man and the right players at the right time. Jose has been here a year and look at the difference in the team. The end of Poch's tenure was poor but he built a good team but most importantly a strong team bond. Jose has benefitted massively from that. He didnt have to come in and shake things up and discard loads of players. We were just lacking a manager who has done it before. But yeah, my point was in the space of year (with everything going on in the world, and our injuries last season) we are rightly being called title contenders playing effective, ruthless football. It is coming!

Apologies for the essay and slight tangent, im super high.

Keep the faith brother. Glory is coming!

I'll give an assessment of the game tomorrow.

But I do have to say we are carrying too many passengers for my liking. There are players who are carrying this team and other players.

Lucas, Davies, Sissoko, Kane all poor today. An off day for Kane. Sissoko was played out of position first half.

Bergwijn has lost all confidence going forward. But I know why he plays.

Aurier, Son, Hojbjerg and despite his error today Toby have been superb this season. Lloris on the whole been good too. They have bailed out their colleagues many times this season.

I just feel in a congested season like this we need to see more from other players, especially those that are rotated in to start or come off the bench.

Not point having depth if they aren't going to perform. There are individuals who need to pull their finger out.

More likely we sit in our own box for 90 mins

Have to agree unfortunately. Will always love Spurs and have loved seeing us top of the table but I have not enjoyed watching some of the performances. I appreciate that Mourinho is different to previous managers and I accept he has a track record of success but by Jesus it has been hard to watch at times. I know we could have won but can you really be allowing Liverpool 76% possession, 17 attempts at goal and 807 passes to our 250 and still expect to win? Similarly I was delighted that we beat Woolwich but again we allowed them to dominate possession when they are clearly inferior to us. Park the bus counter attack football will only work if everyone is consistently clinical in front of goal and clearly we are not

Mourinho not at fault for this, we could have EASILY won had the players been more clinical. SimTwople as that, I thought we defended well - especially in the second half. Extremely unlucky today.

One thing that keeps re-occcuring this season are setpieces. If there's anything Mourinho should work on, its those. literally EVERY single game we've lost points this season is because of conceding from set pieces. EVERY SINGLE loss/draw
Three observations:
-If you concede a lot of possession you're defending a ton of set pieces p
-Better defenders concede less on set pieces - those are expensive
- A heavy tall team concedes less on set pieces - but if you build a team around that quality you are giving up a lot in other departments to put it mildly

Back
Top Bottom