Spurs and the desolation of the Europa League

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'd say top 4 now not likely 6 points plus a goal difference as vast as the milky way so more like 7 points. Fuck it lets go for the Europa have a bit of glory. If we qualify next season stick to a strict B team structure for Europa as we haunt down the holy grail of CL football and even have a go at the the title BELIEVE BELIEVE BELIEVE BELIEVE

GLORY GLORY GLORY GLORY

and perhaps more likely some disappointment

I genuinely hope we do not get into it next season. For years i hoped we could get into it and now i would love nothing better than to see us out of it. I cant take another season of tedious Thursday night matches and Sunday 4pm kick offs in the premier league.

Liverpool are testament to what a season without europa league football can do for the team. concentration and main focus on the league and maybe a slight interest in one of the domestic cups if things go well. Im sure some of yous agree.

weds play sat.. thurs play sunday... fuck off, no difference..
embrace it.. we are thfc... only 2 other English clubs have won more European trophies than us.

theres no problem with the Europa league.. just jumped up cunts who think we have a right to be better than we are... its our level right now & if we cant fucking compete in that why the fuck does anyone think we'd do better in the ecl & that wont affect our league/other domestic cup form.
football is still about winning cups.. I want to win one... especially a European one!.. theres only 2 now so ite even harder..
I will never get this attitude of trying to finish a fucking loser.. i.e 4th place in preference to winning a cup.

do you know the worst thing imho that can happen to really fuck this season off altogether now!!... benfica winning the Europa cup!.

Isnt there some russian club in it next year who are by the sea of Japan?
who wants to bet we end up playing there and then get the 12.45 kick off for the NLD on the sunday?

who wants to bet we end up playing there and then get the 12.45 kick off for the NLD on the sunday?
Crikey, it takes 2 minutes to check this.

5th, 4th, and 3rd in the Russian Premier League get EL slots, as does the winner of the Russian Cup. The finalists for the Russian Cup are Rostov and Krasnodar. Both are near the Black Sea, just east of Ukraine. Not as far away as Anži would have been (if they played in Maxačkala).

The three clubs occupying the league positions that yield EL are all based in Moscow. Behind them are the two aforementioned clubs and Amkar Perm, who play in Perm, which is, yes, far from London. But it is unlikely that they will make up a seven point deficit against Spartak Moscow (fifth), who also have a game in hand.

The Kazakh teams, on the other hand…

I'm hoping we finish 6th, maybe even push Everton for 5th to start the campaign later.

I enjoy the Europa League, the OP only pointed out the 4 games out of the 12 we played after a Europa game. What about the other 8? I remember the Newcastle game we lost 1-0, we had something like 100 shots on target and Krul had a worldie, but yeah blame the Europa League for that too, why not?

Just another excuse to knock the competition, didn't do Chelsea any harm when they won it under Benitez, didn't affect their league form one iota if I recall, they just kept on winning.

Here's to another season in Europe and further improvement of our co-efficient, so when we do finally get into the CL we don't have to be seeded 4th in the group stages and get bummed.

Geographically we got fucked this year with the North Pole, Ukraine and Moldova. That's exceptional. You can easily end up in Russia or the Ukraine or Turkey, Israel etc. in the Champions League. Also teams like Shamrock Rovers are in the Europa, e.g. the 2nd year Harry threw it. No jet lag there!

I'm absolutely sick to the back teeth of the Europa League.. Not because we never do well in it but i've had enough of Sunday games.
For years Saturdays have been the best day of the week the entire week is worth waiting for, for the day out at the football but this Sunday bollocks is just shit. imo this has been a major cause in the atmosphere change at WHL.
The crowds are different on a Sunday, there's families galore and people there taking pictures at every piece of the Stadium.
It's all wrong and I can't wait till we go back to Saturday football..

There was something said about FC Luch-Energiya being in the Europa League next season (it's literally as east as russia gets, by Japan), but I can't see anything to suggest they have qualified or could.

There was something said about FC Luch-Energiya being in the Europa League next season (it's literally as east as russia gets, by Japan), but I can't see anything to suggest they have qualified or could.
They got relegated from the Prem over half a decade ago, play in the third division, and made the cup quarters in 2010. Nothing about them screams "EL-bound."

There will be a club from Almaty, though, which borders China.

They got relegated from the Prem over half a decade ago, play in the third division, and made the cup quarters in 2010. Nothing about them screams "EL-bound."

There will be a club from Almaty, though, which borders China.

I think Paddy is to blame for the suggestion, tbf

Even if we finish 4th there's no guarantee that we will get into the group stages of the Champions League. Remember when we almost blew it against Young Boys? Keep going in the Europa League. That is our level right now.

I'm absolutely sick to the back teeth of the Europa League.. Not because we never do well in it but i've had enough of Sunday games.

From a purely selfish standpoint, Sunday games means the match will be on telly whilst Saturday 3pm means it won't, and seeing as I can't attend due to living abroad I'm all for anything but a Saturday 3pm game, even those horrible Monday night games.

Sorry, but missing out on watching the West Brom and Stoke games in recent weeks and having to stream them on a dodgy connection blows for me. The ironic thing is they stopped showing 3pm Saturday games half way through the season because pubs in the UK were broadcasting them illegally, otherwise I'd be all for 3pm kick-offs.

From a purely selfish standpoint, Sunday games means the match will be on telly whilst Saturday 3pm means it won't, and seeing as I can't attend due to living abroad I'm all for anything but a Saturday 3pm game, even those horrible Monday night games.

Sorry, but missing out on watching the West Brom and Stoke games in recent weeks and having to stream them on a dodgy connection blows for me. The ironic thing is they stopped showing 3pm Saturday games half way through the season because pubs in the UK were broadcasting them illegally, otherwise I'd be all for 3pm kick-offs.

Maybe this is part of Levy's master plan to attract more foreign fans?
#levy'd

Sta
For years Saturdays have been the best day of the week the entire week is worth waiting for, for the day out at the football but this Sunday bollocks is just shit. imo this has been a major cause in the atmosphere change at WHL.
The crowds are different on a Sunday, there's families galore and people there taking pictures at every piece of the Stadium.
It's all wrong and I can't wait till we go back to Saturday football..[/QUOTE stands a chance you a fucked either way because we would still have to play on a Sunday if we were not in Europa and another team were somebody has to be in it also with TV games on Sunday you get two or three and then there is Monday games

Now that winning Europa comes with a CL spot I think that there's a big difference between next season and seasons past. A trophy and a CL spot is much better than a 4th place finish.

I also firmly believe that if we can either hang in Europe or not. It doesn't matter if it's CL or Europa. If we can't win matches after playing in Europa why do you think we're even deserving of a CL spot?

Back
Top Bottom