Southampton Vs Tottenham - 3pm New Year's Day.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think that game goes to show how important the 'workmanlike' players are (a lot of the time I believe they're referred to on here as 'championship') - but the Southampton squad is actual Championship level. You build on a solid base, and that allows your show ponies to look flash and impressive. Pellegrini fell apart with this at WH; the obsession with Ozil and Aubemayang will do the same for Arteta at Arse; City are dropping points without their consistent players; 'Pool are playing worse but winning more games?

We will be better when the likes of Davies is back in, and this also evidences the importance of Sissoko and Son. Son is no flash player, just gives 100% all the time which, in his position, makes it look good because 100% intensity and goals from a WF.

Consistent performance means you know what you're getting and can plan tactically. It also explains why Lloris is better than Gazza - makes less mistakes; Trippier was better than Aurier; Aurier better than Foyth etcetera.

We could probably also reflect on how poor most of the rest of the Prem is. The weaker teams have got better (ie, better coached, better defensively, and the TV money means they're able to buy a better standard of mid-table player) - it's the other end, the top end - where we are - that players are hard to find.

That was a hard watch, though and I'm not sure we have enough solid 7/10s day-in-day-out to perform for Jose at the moment. Kane / Alli are our star-turns - do we see consistency elsewhere (of a reasonable standard)?

sddTcgd.jpg
He has a point though. Saints were cynical and dirty and Dean didn't do anything about it. I don't blame Southampton for that, you get away with whatever you are allowed to.

We really thought Poch was holding them back.

I can never bring back time, but forgive us Poch.

Bullsh!t.

What the fcuk was Pochettino seeing for however long.

Zero expectation from me and I am still disappointed but not shocked.

Nothing in our team is the envy of any club at the present time, including the manager.

Mourinho will need to show he is worth the headlines because at present he is adding zero.

Lloris makes less mistakes than Gazza...

You mean our captin who made nothing but mistakes all season and can't even jump properly?

Does Mourinho have an idea, a vision about how the team should play? In defence, in transition and in offence? I don't see anything resembling a plan. Or maybe one, give it to Toby and let him try the pass.
There is nothing mate. Not a single pattern of play, no repeatable moves, runs other than a long ball from Toby.

I know everyone raves about the dippers but the reason they are where they are is because everyone else is absolute crap. They flatter to deceive
Sadly that just isn't true - you should watch their games and see how football should be played - calm and simple. Just the opposite to the way Mourinho has us playing (or not). It can't be a co-incidence that in our last 2 games the last kick we had in both games was Aurier crossing into the stand from a great position. It sums up the shite individual performances that we are seeing.
Liverpool - nah mate they're absolutely miles ahead of us and any other team in ability and teamwork.

Our 1st half performance was very poor but somehow we managed to play even worse in the 2nd half. There is no belief or fight in the team. ‘Lads, its Tottenham’ is back.

Give it a rest mate.

We are shit.

Officials have nothing to do with any today. Struggling to think of anything they got wrong.
Decision-wise it was ok, but to allow the repeated fouling whenever we looked to start a break was the main issue for me. Couple of (deserved) early yellows puts all that to bed and allows a game of football to break out.

Forget CL (and possibly Europe altogether)

We're, clearly, in transition and Jose will need a proper window and pre-season to make an imprint.

What we actually end up with is anyone's guess, though, as it seems there's no specific style he's gunning for, right now.

My advice to people - to avert a mental breakdown - is to ditch all expectations in the league/CL.

Jose should put special focus on FA Cup.
Middlesbrough will beat us on the weekend
Nailed on

Well, it's OK Jose's at the wheel.

What the fuck has this bloke been doing? We are regressing under him!

That was fucking woeful. Yet the Jose fanboys will no doubt be pushing the dislike button as they always do.
Can’t really hang any of this around Jose yet, Jesus he’s been at the club 5 mins and having to play players 99% of fans wouldn’t have in the match day squad never mind starting a game....

If Jose doesn’t replace Aurier, Rose and either Sissoko or Dier this window (meaning if he spends money) then I question him.
If he has no real money to spend then Levy needs to be seriously questioned....

Levy has been a moving target the past few years and got a pass for obvious reasons but that target is starting to slow down now and it won’t be long before shots are fired at him!!

We've never really recovered from selling Walker (even if we did get more than fair compensation for him). Trippier had moments, Aurier has had considerably fewer, but a position that for a time was a well of strength in the squad has been a festering weakness for years now.

We need new fullbacks, and a new central midfielder. Buy the right 3 and I'm convinced we're back in business.

Not with a central defence like that

Jan and Toby are way past their best and Foyth and Sanchez just not good enough

Back
Top Bottom