Sky Sports - Anti-Spurs bias?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just need to get this off my chest…

#ranton :parker:

I'm sick to the hind-teeth with the Sky Sports pundits and the Woolwich/Liverpool bias. Ok so that channel is the devil's own, we know that, but frankly unless you can get to the game most of us had to watch it on Sky.

If I have to hear that fucking Gooner clunge Alan Smith commentating on a Spurs game again I will go 100% Michael Douglas 'Falling Down'. Then to add insult to injury they cart out Judas back in the studio. Some bell-end producer seems to think that makes perfect sense. It's not just us that suffer this, I'm fairly certain that Everton supporters get pissed off seeing Redknapp , Carragher and Souness all the time too.

I'm not asking for them to bring Glenn in on every game but they should pick a balanced line up of pundits and stick a neutral on the commentary.

Seriously, Alan Smith, fuck off. We should start a protest or something. That or sue for damages at having to listen to his benign biased drawl for 90 minutes.

In all honesty, despite the title of this thread, I don't think there is an anti-spurs 'agenda' as such but there is a serious lack of common sense in the selection.

#rantoff

That's better. :chadliblow:

Absolutely. The media is especially biased towards Liverpool and it pisses me off so much. Carragher, Souness, Lawro - all of them can fuck right off. Week in, week out they tout Liverpool as the greatest team in the league and how they deserve to win the league and Stevie G is the greatest Englishman in history. Fuck off you dirty scouse cunts.

And Redknapp can fuck off too. He said the other day that we came close to being better than Woolwich a few seasons ago but no we are nowhere near. What's that Jamie? A few seasons ago when your fucking dad was in charge? Of course he'd fucking say that.

I hate so much of the journalism around on Sky and BBC.

To be fair,
Being positive , the club has to be seen
in this light . Neutrals see us rather a negative club.
To their eyes we are penny pinching, silent disinterested owner, reckless chairman, no stars, ambition?, a joke
of a stadium development, , lowest net spenders in league,
2 years of crap/average football and no sign of change
with empty words. We have created a bad PR. These
reasons may be wrong or not but this is the media and
other fans image.Not a lot to get excited about.
Roll back 3 years the media loved us. We played the
most exciting football in the country, 3 world class
game changer players and if the club added quality
there was a chance of league.
You make people love you. We don't.

To be fair,
To their eyes we are penny pinching, silent disinterested owner, reckless chairman, no stars, ambition?, a joke

Bang on, I don't even like Spurs that much at the moment.

The club seems to be wrapped in total apathy.

To be fair,
What the fuck is this? Looks like you wrote a bloody poem about it...

Kirsty Gallacher
6HdXuiN.gif

Last edited:
From the Guardian archive, 5 September 1970: Questions asked as Spurs suspend Souness
Tam Dalyell MP is calling for an investigation into Tottenham Hotspur's suspension of Graeme Souness. The homesick teenager broke his contract with the London club when he returned home to Scotland
Souness-At-Spurs-008.jpg

Graeme Souness in 1972 during his time at Spurs. The club temporarily suspended him in 1970. Photograph: Roger Jackson/Hulton Archive
Graeme Souness, who is under a full player's contract with Tottenham Hotspur, broke the terms of his engagement by going home to Edinburgh and refusing to return to honour it. Yesterday the club suspended him for two weeks without pay "and thereafter the suspension will be extended at fortnightly intervals if necessary," stated the club. A Scottish MP, Mr Tam Dalyell, said last night he was seeking an investigation.

Such are the bare facts of a sad human drama which may have far reaching implications. Souness is 17. He signed a contract after his birthday in May and Spurs have the power under FA rule 27 to deprive him of playing in his chosen profession for the full year in which they have him under contact. They also have an option on his services for a further year by suspending him every fortnight.

Technically there might be sympathy for Spurs, who are losing the services of a potentially gifted player. Morally they will have few admirers even though Souness has broken a contract, and at a meeting on Wednesday with Bill Nicholson, Spurs manager, he said he would not return to honour it.

"My mistake was in going South when I was too young," Souness said yesterday. "I left Edinburgh when I was 15 and straight from school. There was an element of novelty about the experience but recently I have felt completely at sea in the London scene.

"It wasn't so bad when we trained mornings and afternoons. That just made for lonely evenings. But when training was restricted to forenoons the days seemed interminable. I couldn't stand it any more.

"I don't want to give up football. What I want is to be allowed to join a Scottish club for a year or two until I am older."

The "homesick" Souness has been told by Spurs he has right of appeal against the club's decision to the FA. His next move will be to contact Archie Wright, the secretary of the Scottish Players' Union and Cliff Lloyd, secretary of the Professional Footballers Association, who said yesterday that he would welcome a talk with the player.

Last night Mr Dalyell, MP for West Lothian, chairman of the Labour Party's sports group, said he had asked Mr Robert Carr, Secretary of State for Employment and Productivity, for an investigation.

In his letter to Mr Carr Mr Dalyell states: "I am most concerned in the principles involved in the Souness case. I have no authority to act on behalf of the family who are not my constituents. The issue which concerns me is, should an employer, be he the boss of a great corporation, a small greengrocer, or the Tottenham Hotspur Football Club, acting through an employer's association - in this case the English Football League - have a right to deprive a minor of following his chosen profession, simply because he wants to go home, or on account of some evidently non criminal offence?"

[Souness returned to Tottenham in October 1970 and remained with Spurs until 1972. He made his league debut with Middlesbrough a year later.]

Alan smith even his name is more interesting than him.

Sol should not be on the telly. Not because he is a poor excuse for a human, he is but so is jermy kyle and he gets a living on the telly.
Sol basically has the communication skills of a chemically castrated serial killer. He's pure fuck off awful.

Don't mind ian wright though quite admire him honestly.

Last edited:
I get the impression that even he prefers Stoke to us though.

We used to have Alan Mullery - he was fine until Fulham were involved and then he started banging on about Johnny Haynes...
:harrylol:
He really did though, didn't he! So true!

Like 'arry and his "One week i'd go up 'ighbury wiv me ol'Dad, the Uvver week i'd be at Whi'Art'Lane wiv the 'ol Man... football in them days was runarraaandabit... we'd 'ave a fry-up during the warm-up before the match, and 6 pints of bitter at half time... nun of this foreign muck you see now!"

What confuses me is why they can’t get more ex spurs players on as pundits?
And no Darren Bent / Graeme Souness does not count
:mourfinger:

michael Dawson is starting to commentate on SSN now and then so why not give him a shot?
Or Paul Robinson?
plenty of names for Sky to choose from.

The only pro-spurs pundit I can think of is Garth Crooks, he's the best obviously.

We used to have Alan Mullery - he was fine until Fulham were involved and then he started banging on about Johnny Haynes...

Hopefully someone like Paul Robinson becomes a pundit, I reckon he'd fight our corner.

Hopefully someone like Paul Robinson becomes a pundit, I reckon he'd fight our corner.

Our only hope is Brad Friedel and to be honest whenever he has been on recently his intellegence level and insight is way above most of the other cliche ridden twats out there plus he has the most premier league experience of anybody.

He would stand our corner thats for sure, hope he gets a regular gig.

Back
Top Bottom