Should we play some games on a monday night?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Have a look back at games that were played prior to say ... 1990. The pitches were fuckin terrible. One 90 min game back then was = to 3 games now. Im not even including all the replays that took place, not like todays Pussy "Decided on the night" games.
I used to love the midweek "Sportsnight" highlights with Harry Carpenter, way before Frank Bruno made him his sidekick.
Does it really matter if you play on Thurs/Sun or Tues/Weds-Sat/Sun ? I think not.
If you are prepared to accept £100,000-£300,000 a week then you should be prepared to be fit enough and mentally able to cope.

Modern footballers = Cotton Wool wrapped twats.
Having said that, there are exceptions to the rule. HARRY KANE being one of them.

I don't mind the odd midweek premier league game, Swansea at home this season for example was an excellent game with good atmosphere. However with a fan base like ours it would be unfair on fans to have football played on any other day than the weekends.

You can say that isn't enough, but that is the realities of playing midweek in Europe. There's 7 days in a week. It's difficult, but must be possible.

Russia is what...a 4/5 hour flight? CL teams have to travel there too btw, Zenit, CSKA, Dinamo & Spartak all regularly reach the group stages.

We live in the smallest continent on the planet. Copa Libertadores teams travel thousands of miles, play at ridiculous altitudes...Australian clubs travel throughout Asia to play AFC games.

We have it good. Our clubs have the most money, with the best nutritionists and physios to deal with these situations.

It's complete nonsense, it really is.

Then it's our managers job to get them up for these games. They should be motivated to play in Europe and try to win the EL. It would be the biggest achievement for most of our squad. Hardly any of them have played CL football, so I'm not sure how that is relevant?

Lack of decent pitches...you ever see the DW stadium after a Rugby weekend? I haven't seen worse than that on our European travels.

I agree no coincidence our performances are flat, but we need to sort that out. We have a squad big enough to deal with it. Poch needs to balance that better next season.

We manage the grueling Xmas schedule every year. Midweek Europa games offer more rest than that.

Completely overanalysed and blown out of proportion in this country in my opinion.
Yep, when the wanderers played in the AFC final they traveled to Saudi Arabia. What's 3 hours really

For me it's not the fixture schedule that's the problem. It's the lack of squad rotation, we've barely used the whole 25man squad this season and it shows with the return after Uefa games.

If we had two players for each position and a youth player for each position ready to step in then we'd reduce the perceived problems caused by the overflow of games.

We'd have enough to have a Prem team and a Cup team and youth players to step in when injuries occur. This would allow a fresh team each game we play.

For me it's not the fixture schedule that's the problem. It's the lack of squad rotation, we've barely used the whole 25man squad this season and it shows with the return after Uefa games.

If we had two players for each position and a youth player for each position ready to step in then we'd reduce the perceived problems caused by the overflow of games.

We'd have enough to have a Prem team and a Cup team and youth players to step in when injuries occur. This would allow a fresh team each game we play.

We've had 2 players for each position for practically the whole season. The problem lies with the usage of some of those not in the 'first XI' by the management. whether they have been a pain in the arse on the training ground or deemed not good enough is another matter which has been argued to death (sinbins) by various other posters.

Juventus have done this in the past and it has reduced the effect of europa hangovers, so why can't we? On that general note, I dont think we do enough to lobby for better fixture dates and times.If the squad are coming back from russia on a thursday night, wouldn't it make more sense to play at 4pm on sunday rather than 1pm?. and Yes it does make a big difference.
Why can't we lobby to have post europa games especially the ones from longhaul destination scheduled for monday night, is it even possible or are we at the mercy of the big TV companies?
Yeah look at how our form improved once we didnt have the Thursday night games :angryscouser::goonermong:

Back
Top Bottom