Should we play some games on a monday night?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Juventus have done this in the past and it has reduced the effect of europa hangovers, so why can't we? On that general note, I dont think we do enough to lobby for better fixture dates and times.If the squad are coming back from russia on a thursday night, wouldn't it make more sense to play at 4pm on sunday rather than 1pm?. and Yes it does make a big difference.
Why can't we lobby to have post europa games especially the ones from longhaul destination scheduled for monday night, is it even possible or are we at the mercy of the big TV companies?

At the mercy of the TV companies. Otherwise Europa League games could be played on a Tuesday/Wednesday ..like they do in the qualifying rounds.
However, as live ITV & SKY have paid through the nose and the the powers that be the chance to rinse as much money as possible out of the champions league coverage, they play their fixtures on Tuesday/Wednesday.
It's no coincidence teams like Woolwich, City and Chavs finish strong. Woolwich especially.
They may have to play a couple of games on Wednesday and Saturday, but more times they are televised so get Sundays so get a 3 day rest.
The extra day does make a difference to R&R.
We will never ever be able to play on a Monday night. I love European nights but quite honestly the EL schedule is very hard in the EPL.

Thursday night game in Russia - fly back Monday morning - land early afternoon. Then got a game 48 hours after that.

How is that not sufficient time for top athletes to prepare for a game?

Don't buy that bullshit. CL teams can play Wed - Sat. I don't hear them moaning.

Thursday night game in Russia - fly back Monday morning - land early afternoon. Then got a game 48 hours after that.

Don't buy that bullshit. CL teams can play Wed - Sat. I don't hear them moaning.

Travel tuesday to prepare or wednesday
- Europa game on thursday
-Travel back on friday evening

so no that leaves only 24 hours preparation, which is not enough. Athletes need to have a certain level of consistency. Furthemore, a game in russia is not the same as playing in germany, italy or spain

No No and thrice No to playing on a Monday night, I absolutely detest it, its a bummer getting home after an evening game, and I live relatively near to WHL.
I can't see the difference between playing on a Wed/Sat rather than a Thu/Sun, as long as its a 3 or 4 pm kick off.

so no that leaves only 24 hours preparation, which is not enough. Athletes need to have a certain level of consistency. Furthemore, a game in russia is not the same as playing in germany, italy or spain
Teams have been playing twice a week for decades. I don't get what the issue is. We make such a big thing of it. We have a 25-man squad, plus youth.

Seriously - what's the issue here?

It clearly is enough, as other teams are able to successfully juggle league and European football.

It's not just that, it's all the time to run tactics for specific opposition etc. Dis-joints things totally, the Sunday kick-off can be 12.00-1.30pm now too (and has been). Fly back very late Thursday/Friday morning, get Friday afternoon evening off and/or sort any niggles. Travel away to wherever Saturday, a few hours to do that and check in etc, light training/stretching session and pre-game prep. Get up Sunday morning and straight to the ground for 10.15-11.30am.

Not always that way when at home or if kick off times are as kind as they can be but, regardless of how comfortable the journeys are, you still have to do them, play, warm down and then get sorted for next match in quick time. Can't run many drill sessions for dealing with or setting up for the opposition.

It's no coincidence that there have been loads of flat and fairly shit performances after the Thursday games over several years.

Even if rotating the team as we often do, still no time for coaching sessions.

And it's been said a million times, there's the lack of decent pitches and facilities sometimes and adrenaline for Europa League compared to Champions League is nowhere near comparable, as well as the number of Tuesday/Saturday and Wednesday/Sunday games Champions League teams get.

You can say that isn't enough, but that is the realities of playing midweek in Europe. There's 7 days in a week. It's difficult, but must be possible.

Russia is what...a 4/5 hour flight? CL teams have to travel there too btw, Zenit, CSKA, Dinamo & Spartak all regularly reach the group stages.

We live in the smallest continent on the planet. Copa Libertadores teams travel thousands of miles, play at ridiculous altitudes...Australian clubs travel throughout Asia to play AFC games.

We have it good. Our clubs have the most money, with the best nutritionists and physios to deal with these situations.

It's complete nonsense, it really is.

It's not just that, it's all the time to run tactics for specific opposition etc. Dis-joints things totally, the Sunday kick-off can be 12.00-1.30pm now too (and has been). Fly back very late Thursday/Friday morning, get Friday afternoon evening off and/or sort any niggles. Travel away to wherever Saturday, a few hours to do that and check in etc, light training/stretching session and pre-game prep. Get up Sunday morning and straight to the ground for 10.15-11.30am.

Not always that way when at home or if kick off times are as kind as they can be but, regardless of how comfortable the journeys are, you still have to do them, play, warm down and then get sorted for next match in quick time. Can't run many drill sessions for dealing with or setting up for the opposition.

It's no coincidence that there have been loads of flat and fairly shit performances after the Thursday games over several years.

Even if rotating the team as we often do, still no time for coaching sessions.

And it's been said a million times, there's the lack of decent pitches and facilities sometimes and adrenaline for Europa League compared to Champions League is nowhere near comparable, as well as the number of Tuesday/Saturday and Wednesday/Sunday games Champions League teams get.
Then it's our managers job to get them up for these games. They should be motivated to play in Europe and try to win the EL. It would be the biggest achievement for most of our squad. Hardly any of them have played CL football, so I'm not sure how that is relevant?

Lack of decent pitches...you ever see the DW stadium after a Rugby weekend? I haven't seen worse than that on our European travels.

I agree no coincidence our performances are flat, but we need to sort that out. We have a squad big enough to deal with it. Poch needs to balance that better next season.

We manage the grueling Xmas schedule every year. Midweek Europa games offer more rest than that.

Completely overanalysed and blown out of proportion in this country in my opinion.

You can say that isn't enough, but that is the realities of playing midweek in Europe. There's 7 days in a week. It's difficult, but must be possible.

Russia is what...a 4/5 hour flight? CL teams have to travel there too btw, Zenit, CSKA, Dinamo & Spartak all regularly reach the group stages.

We live in the smallest continent on the planet. Copa Libertadores teams travel thousands of miles, play at ridiculous altitudes...Australian clubs travel throughout Asia to play AFC games.

We have it good. Our clubs have the most money, with the best nutritionists and physios to deal with these situations.

It's complete nonsense, it really is.

Then it's our managers job to get them up for these games. They should be motivated to play in Europe and try to win the EL. It would be the biggest achievement for most of our squad. Hardly any of them have played CL football, so I'm not sure how that is relevant?

Lack of decent pitches...you ever see the DW stadium after a Rugby weekend? I haven't seen worse than that on our European travels.

I agree no coincidence our performances are flat, but we need to sort that out. We have a squad big enough to deal with it. Poch needs to balance that better next season.

We manage the grueling Xmas schedule every year. Midweek Europa games offer more rest than that.

Completely overanalysed and blown out of proportion in this country in my opinion.

I don't disagree with what you're saying in theory but the performances and many results speak for themselves so it obviously does cause problems. Squad depth is an issue as well, we've been threadbare by the end of this season and teams in the Champions League will generally have a bit more in their lockers in quality and numbers all round. How did Everton get on this year having been in Europa League, how about Hull?

I don't disagree with what you're saying in theory but the performances and many results speak for themselves so it obviously does cause problems. Squad depth is an issue as well, we've been threadbare by the end of this season and teams in the Champions League will generally have a bit more in their lockers in quality and numbers all round. How did Everton get on this year having been in Europa League, how about Hull?
Agree our performances do suggest we struggle, but I don't think it would be any different to CL. a midweek game is a midweek game. It's 3 games in 7/8 days, regardless. If we want to be in Europe, we need to deal with it. End of.

Everton's drop in form just shows how well we cope with so many games. I pointed that out already.
Hull? They didn't even qualify for the group stages so not sure they're a good example.

Agree our performances do suggest we struggle, but I don't think it would be any different to CL. a midweek game is a midweek game. It's 3 games in 7/8 days, regardless. If we want to be in Europe, we need to deal with it. End of.

Everton's drop in form just shows how well we cope with so many games. I pointed that out already.
Hull? They didn't even qualify for the group stages so not sure they're a good example.

I was being a bit flippant about Hull. In previous seasons it has affected Newcastle and Swansea too.

I think the problem with it for us has been the inconsistency about how we rotate for it, do we don't we, stick or twist, maybe maybe-not. Spurs should be good enough to play a young and fringe team for the first group games and see where we stand for the last couple, if we're through then all good, if not then have to bump the team up to qualify.

With Fiorentina he should've gone all out in the first leg but didn't, then we were half arsed out in Italy just before a cup final and guess what; Chelski out muscle us.

It's tricky but you're right, it's the same schedule we've had for a few years now so you'd think we'd work it out - oh hang on, we've had 4 managers in that time so maybe not!

Back
Top Bottom