Roberto Soldado

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Goals aside, he did very well for us. This may be at odds with general opinion on here. I believed, he was fundamental in changing our season last year. There was a spell (pre Kane resurrection) where he played regular and we improved as a team. Can't remember exact the games, it was a short spell and we turned that prevailing corner.

Maybe just accept that he's at a club which suits his style of play, and that the clusterfuck morons in charge of our transfer policy don't actually understand how to get the right players for the tactics, as I've been saying since the week we signed Soldado. But no, the usual idiots will just slate the player regardless.

Maybe just accept that he's at a club which suits his style of play, and that the clusterfuck morons in charge of our transfer policy don't actually understand how to get the right players for the tactics, as I've been saying since the week we signed Soldado. But no, the usual idiots will just slate the player regardless.

League. ;)

Might go against popular opinion, but I really don't rate the Spanish league. Take nothing away from Ronaldo or Messi, but I'm pretty sure that I could score goals in that league. And I'm probably worse than Ali Dia.

Totally agree though, Soldado never really stood a chance because we don't play to his strengths, although to be fair he did miss the chances he did have.

Happy for Soldado.

Funny thing, reading this about La Liga in here.
The british really underestimate this league (perhaps out of ignorance). Rest of Europe are (perhaps rightly) starting to think it's superior to PL.

Real and Barca would, and Atletico could, win PL no doubt.
Valencia, Sevilla, Malaga, Bilbao and Sociedad would all be top 6 contenders.

Happy for Soldado.

The british really underestimate this league (perhaps out of ignorance). Rest of Europe are (perhaps rightly) starting to think it's superior to PL.

Real and Barca would probably win most top leagues, there's a reason that they are there or thereabouts in the Champion's League each season, but for the overall league? beyond the six or seven teams that you mention the rest of the league is gash. The sheer number of goals they leak to the higher end teams is testament to that.

Maybe I don't watch enough of it.

Real and Barca would probably win most top leagues, there's a reason that they are there or thereabouts in the Champion's League each season, but for the overall league? beyond the six or seven teams that you mention the rest of the league is gash. The sheer number of goals they leak to the higher end teams is testament to that.

Maybe I don't watch enough of it.

I think we somewhat agree, as the bottom level of La Liga is definitely lower, where as its top level is higher.
The sub top of PL is perhaps a bit stronger team for team, but the sub top is bigger in La Liga.

Isn't the TV money in Spain distributed individually not collectively meaning that the money is concentrated higher up the league helping to create greater difference in quality from top to bottom than the Prem for example.

Happy for Soldado.

Further evidenced by the shit turn out of English teams in European cups. We should be dominating the Europa if our lower tier is better than Spains.

He's found his level. I love him to bits but he just wasn't cut out for the rough and tumble...or hitting barn doors with a banjo...
Disagree mate, if we'd have played to his strengths he'd have been fine. Imagine Soldado playing in place of Pav under Redknapp's wing play and tell me he wouldn't have scored double figures every season.

The amount of times crosses from Bale, Lennon, Rose, BAE and Walker went begging and we needed a predatory player like Soldado....

Disagree mate, if we'd have played to his strengths he'd have been fine. Imagine Soldado playing in place of Pav under Redknapp's wing play and tell me he wouldn't have scored double figures every season.

The amount of times crosses from Bale, Lennon, Rose, BAE and Walker went begging and we needed a predatory player like Soldado....

Always depends on the system. Much like Berbatov and Keane, they were lethal for Spurs, but couldn't do it when they went their separate ways as the style of play didn't suit them.

Anyone who hasn't done so already - take a look at Soldado's goals for Valencia over the last 2 seasons. The VAST majority of them are the same type and involve him running into a good position (often beating an offside trap) and receiving the ball either from a low cross or threaded thru-ball from a deeper creative player. 9 times out of 10 he then hits it first time past the keeper.

I genuinely have no idea why AVB (I assume) picked Soldado to spearhead his attack unless he feels that Soldado's game can adapt to our style. Given our investment, I bloody well hope he's right.

However, if he doesn't adapt then we need to find someone who can play the most effective way for a compressed tactic - someone like a Tevez, who can dribble and bully his way into a shooting position, or someone like Llorente who can physically dominate the defences in order to bring attacking midfielders into goalscoring opportunities or provide a target for higher crosses / passes into the box.

Posted not long after Soldado signed for us, because I'm pretty much always right about these things.

:nare:

Posted not long after Soldado signed for us, because I'm pretty much always right about these things.

:nare:
We do it too often though, buy the best player we can afford and hope they fit into our style through osmosis, rather than aim for a lower quality player who already fits (or dare I say it, Levy just go and buy the manager's first choice!).

Back
Top Bottom