Retro Spurs photos

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

My dad used to play in the brass band that went round the pitch at half time. My mums sister used to go out with a player called Jimmy Pearce. And my grandad drove the bus for the bus top parade season 61-62. Proper family club back in the day Pictures anyone?

My dad used to play in the brass band that went round the pitch at half time. My mums sister used to go out with a player called Jimmy Pearce. And my grandad drove the bus for the bus top parade season 61-62. Proper family club back in the day Pictures anyone?
I would love to have that connection with the Club, I'm quite envious. The closest I have is one of my friends went out with Dean Austin and another's boyfriend was best friends with Chris Houghton! :)

I would love to have that connection with the Club, I'm quite envious. The closest I have is one of my friends went out with Dean Austin and another's boyfriend was best friends with Chris Houghton! :)
I have plenty of the bus and have pics of Jimmy Pearce in a team photo but the pictures I would love to see most is the brass band. Everyone (of an age) can remember it but I have never seen a picture. My dad played the tuba and he said after each circuit of the pitch he had to empty it of apple cores where herberts had thrown them in. He was just a teen at the time and only done it so he could see the game for free.

Last edited:
I have plenty of the bus and have pics of Jimmy Pearce in a team photo but the pictures I would love to see most is the brass band. Everyone (of an age) can remember it but I have never seen a picture. My dad played the tuba and he said after each circuit of the pitch he had to empty it of apple cores where herberts had thrown them in. He was just a teen at the time and only done it so he could see the game for free.

Twitter

E5rq5RhWUAAxuYs

Further to my earlier reply I have now chatted to my dad. He was actually part of the Spurs brass band during the wartime so around 1944. It was mostly a boys band (which makes sense in wartime) and they were from the Air Corp who where based at the County School, Tottenham. He said they also played at Henley Regatta at this time.

If anyone hasn’t read Danny’s autobiography what are you playing at! Genuinely the best football book I’ve read. He was the only footballer to win a Football Writers award both as a player and as a writer. Wish I was old enough to have seen him :)
I've just realised I have read Cliff Jones, Dave Mackay, John White and Bill Nick's bios but never Danny's. Going to put that right very soon. Like you, I didn't see the Double side play, I've read / seen plenty, think it's important to know as much as can about the finest team we have ever produced.

I've just realised I have read Cliff Jones, Dave Mackay, John White and Bill Nick's bios but never Danny's. Going to put that right very soon. Like you, I didn't see the Double side play, I've read / seen plenty, think it's important to know as much as can about the finest team we have ever produced.
Glad to suggest it. Let me know what you think. Didn’t realise his brother was a Busby babe for instance - he survived but never played again. It’s fascinating on ending the wage caps. And the arguments over NI playing in the World Cup in ‘58 as genes were on Sundays for the first time. He’s very self effacing and very eloquent. I like that it’s relatively contemporaneous too :)

Back
Top Bottom