Retro Spurs photos

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I've just realised I have read Cliff Jones, Dave Mackay, John White and Bill Nick's bios but never Danny's. Going to put that right very soon. Like you, I didn't see the Double side play, I've read / seen plenty, think it's important to know as much as can about the finest team we have ever produced.
He’s also a legend in Those Glory Days - what a film! esp as a girl growing up into football!

Glad to suggest it. Let me know what you think. Didn’t realise his brother was a Busby babe for instance - he survived but never played again. It’s fascinating on ending the wage caps. And the arguments over NI playing in the World Cup in ‘58 as genes were on Sundays for the first time. He’s very self effacing and very eloquent. I like that it’s relatively contemporaneous too :)
I met Jackie Blanchflower at a Player of the Year dinner many moons ago, and he was a charming man, like his brother. He told us a little of his time at Man U, and of the Munich disaster but don't think he wanted to say too much.

I met Jackie Blanchflower at a Player of the Year dinner many moons ago, and he was a charming man, like his brother. He told us a little of his time at Man U, and of the Munich disaster but don't think he wanted to say too much.
That’s v cool that you’ve met him. Can imagine - it’d be tough not to let it overshadow your life - especially when your brother does so well too.
Danny said Jackie was a better player than him too. Glad he’s held onto his charm ☺️

Some great stories about him

He and Jock Stein constantly at war with each other
Everyone knows that the players (JJ in particular) used to play cat and mouse with Stein arriving in a pub seconds after they'd moved off to another.

Stein one time subbed JJ off in a mid week match, an easy one they were winning 3-0, JJ had got a couple. Important cup tie at the weekend. He'd told him before the match that he would too.

Johnson was furious. Refused to come off. Ignored the call. Finally the ref intervened and off he went, sulking. As he got to the touchline he kicked a big slab of mud all over Stein, sat there in his suit. Stein leapt up, Johnson sprinted down to the dressing rooms, pursued by Stein. Locked himself in the bogs. Stein hammering on the door shouting Get out of there, Johnson refusing "No you'll hit me!!" (Stein an ex-miner and a big man compared to Jinky). French farce stuff.

When Paxton Road went all the way round to Park Lane.
Does anyone know when the houses went?

I used to usually come up Park Lane from NP station, via the Olive Branch, and wasn't really into looking at architecture around the stadium (although I always thought the Shelf stand facade reminded me of a Victorian mental hospital). This would have been very late 1970s.

Those cracks are a bit worrying, although it could be the impressive reach of one of the motorcycle Plod's 'piss-up-a-wall' game.

I expect this has been seen/posted before.

BR9tYNU.jpg

It appeared in one of the fanzines we did. My Uncle (who is the reason I'm Spurs) had a copy and his wife had a flick through it one day and immediately spotted my Uncle in the photo.

dbCIDtp.jpg

This is him on the left with his mate.

Back
Top Bottom