Retro Spurs photos

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yeah, we were at Southampton, stressful day. Ended up on one if those pub barges moored on the Thames.
Went pretty much every game, missed Wall away and Hull at home, great days.
Particular favourite was Mansfield away,3.3 crazy day.
So much respect for you brother. I’m guessing you’re a few years older than me , I was 12 .

Went to near enough every home game . And still feel blessed .

Back then the only live football was second half commentary on Radio 2 . They never did div 2 but for some reason on that day they did . It was stressful enough to listen to . Nice day weather - wise .

We got third ; good enough. Can you imagine if we’d lost ? F ing hell .

Thank you for your support and efforts that season . Although a great year , we only just scraped up . You played your part .

The rest is history .

Thank you for being there .

I won’t ask if you went away to Bolton?

So much respect for you brother. I’m guessing you’re a few years older than me , I was 12 .

Went to near enough every home game . And still feel blessed .

Back then the only live football was second half commentary on Radio 2 . They never did div 2 but for some reason on that day they did . It was stressful enough to listen to . Nice day weather - wise .

We got third ; good enough. Can you imagine if we’d lost ? F ing hell .

Thank you for your support and efforts that season . Although a great year , we only just scraped up . You played your part .

The rest is history .

Thank you for being there .

I won’t ask if you went away to Bolton?
Yep, went to Bolton, Neil Ncnab had a goal disallowed and it all kicked off

An over-used word but apt : Awesome.

I wanted to take this chance to ask something I’ve wanted to know for a very, very long time . PLEASE bear with me for a bit . This shouldn’t take long .?

I’ve read this site for many years , but until very recently I never had the courage to “join in “ . Everyone on here seemed to be razor-sharp of mind / wit and word . IT skills beyond my IPhone competence .

The cool kids at school , the top table ( wheresoever they have tables ) .

But recent events bring me here , and so ( deep breath) ; I’m going to ask my question . It means a lot to me , and given it happened almost half a century ago ; I though this was the best thread for it . You seem the most venerable and wisest people in the village.

Here’s the question. Clears throat :

Were any of you part of the pitch invasion after the home game on May 14th 1977 ?

Then last game of the seasons (2-0) v Leicester City .

We were already relegated but played great and won two nil .

There was a pitch invasion at the end.

Most people left but there were probably 500 on the pitch I front if the old West Stand who stayed put .

I was in the corner bit of West / Paxton extension with my dad . I was too young to go on my own and ( after a few attempts., my dad refused to stand ; to my chagrin ) .

The noise , songs and energy were overwhelming. It went on for about 45 mins . The players came out , the boss came out on the old balcony of the W stand . It was like a revivalist meeting. It really was spiritual to experience. The support for KB was extraordinary. Imagine that today .

Anyway ; I’ve seen us win everything we’ve ever won since that day BUT (apart from 1984 ) nothing has affected me more than the relegation wake that happened on the 14th May 77 . I’d even say that in its own way May 77 was more powerful than May 84 .

Anyway; before I begin to cry ;

Were any of you there that day ? And what do you remember?

I apologise for the time it’s taken you read this ramble , but it means a lot to me .

Thank You .
I was there in front of the shelf with my dad (a gooner, we often went to each others home games together). We stayed to watch the fans on the pitch and then moving into the west stand. He couldn't believe our support that day for a relegated team.

Sublime .

I love music that many people think as niche . I’ve spent so many hours trying to convince them that listening to it is like a spiritual experience. They listened and they went « meh « .

Now I don’t bother ; I just say « you either get this or you don’t « ; it could apply to music , a film , a make of motorcycle , a work of art or a way of making coffee .

All I can say ; you either get this or you don’t. No more to say .

Thank you . Sublime .

I was there in front of the shelf with my dad (a gooner, we often went to each others home games together). We stayed to watch the fans on the pitch and then moving into the west stand. He couldn't believe our support that day for a relegated team.

Thank You .

I wish I was better at expressing myself on this ducking phone.

Like I said before ; it was like a revivalist meeting . I’d been only been going for three years : I’d never seen or heard that level of support , spontaneous and unorganised ; for a team that had ducked up in the biggest way ever .

Wasn’t it amazing , F me .

I’ve had a drink .

Thank You for responding my brother . It means a lot .

Yep, went to Bolton, Neil Ncnab had a goal disallowed and it all kicked off
That was also on the radio .

Much respect for you being there .

I was a kid - and heartbroken .

Seriously, and I mean this with respect, the club should get someone like you to do an oral history / docu-history. I really mean it .

It frustrates me that me that these sort of things go unknown and unappreciated.

These things matter a lot ,

Thank You (again) ,

Hahahaha!!

That first Spurs goal and Mansfield's 3rd
It was different then - more pure , more meaningful and more real .In my opinion . Possibly not yours.

John Coltrane or Kenny Gee ( or maybe a bit of Sam Smith or Atomic Kitten on the side).

This bit could go on for a long time - so Î’ll stop it now .

It’s all good ; it’s your call .

It’s not up to me , it’s up to you . Stick with your choices and love the way it makes you feel .

Personally , I think you’re missing out .

You either get it or you don’t.

That’s ok . PS I’ve had an emotional evening . Apologies for any offence or hurt I may have caused .

Last edited:
An over-used word but apt : Awesome.

I wanted to take this chance to ask something I’ve wanted to know for a very, very long time . PLEASE bear with me for a bit . This shouldn’t take long .?

I’ve read this site for many years , but until very recently I never had the courage to “join in “ . Everyone on here seemed to be razor-sharp of mind / wit and word . IT skills beyond my IPhone competence .

The cool kids at school , the top table ( wheresoever they have tables ) .

But recent events bring me here , and so ( deep breath) ; I’m going to ask my question . It means a lot to me , and given it happened almost half a century ago ; I though this was the best thread for it . You seem the most venerable and wisest people in the village.

Here’s the question. Clears throat :

Were any of you part of the pitch invasion after the home game on May 14th 1977 ?

Then last game of the seasons (2-0) v Leicester City .

We were already relegated but played great and won two nil .

There was a pitch invasion at the end.

Most people left but there were probably 500 on the pitch I front if the old West Stand who stayed put .

I was in the corner bit of West / Paxton extension with my dad . I was too young to go on my own and ( after a few attempts., my dad refused to stand ; to my chagrin ) .

The noise , songs and energy were overwhelming. It went on for about 45 mins . The players came out , the boss came out on the old balcony of the W stand . It was like a revivalist meeting. It really was spiritual to experience. The support for KB was extraordinary. Imagine that today .

Anyway ; I’ve seen us win everything we’ve ever won since that day BUT (apart from 1984 ) nothing has affected me more than the relegation wake that happened on the 14th May 77 . I’d even say that in its own way May 77 was more powerful than May 84 .

Anyway; before I begin to cry ;

Were any of you there that day ? And what do you remember?

I apologise for the time it’s taken you read this ramble , but it means a lot to me .

Thank You .
No, unfortunately I wasn't there then, but I wish I was :)

Isn't that what Redknapp used to do as a young boy...?

Despite what West 'Aaaam fans fink anaaaht im bein' "Claret'nBlue, 'fru n 'fru", I'm pretty sure he spent most of his Saturdays hopping between WHL and Highbury! :harrysmile:

nayim-39-s-famous-goal-from-the-halfway-line-was-a-moment-of-magic-that-beat-a-34-faultless-34-d.jpg

NINTCHDBPICT000488876845-e1557493576401.jpg

0_GettyImages-567761409.jpg

nayim_celebrates_winning_the_uefa_cup_winners_cup.jpeg
Happy Nayim Day everyone!!

View: https://twitter.com/AK90s/status/994493449486393344/video/1

Back
Top Bottom