Player of the year

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

players like Eriksen will never do well on the wings in a 4-4-2 system if you ask me, cause it requires them to do much more defending than the 4-2-3-1 for example. this last system gives wingers like Eriksen the freedom they need, cause the dm's can step in help the lateral defenders both in dealing with opposition's counter-attacks if needed and in positional defending too. this system gives the wingers like Eriksen, who can act like playmakers, who can enter towards the center and create spaces and opportunities there too, instead of just getting the ball and crossing it into the box, the freedom they need to do all that, to focus more on the attack, to help the defence against the opposition's lateral midfielders just until the dm's can kick in and aid the LB or RB if needed. the 442 instead requires more complete wing midfielders, that can also run back and actually put their bones in, that can defend very well and can help the LB and RB more. i think we can agree this is not what Eriksen is and we surely didn't buy him for his defensive skills. i think that the 442 is not suited for the players we have and that it should be dropped anyway, but if the manager absolutely wants to play this system, i think he should play Eriksen as a second striker, between the flat midfield and the striker... which basically means that i still suggest we shouldn't play the 442 but more like a 4411 with Eriksen as SS if the manager really wants a flat 4 players midfield.

Completely agree, i said somewhere else in another thread (probably lamela thread) about how, if we're going to play lamela we should play in a way that gets the best out of him, instead of wasting him wide right, which is exactly the same as we've done to Eriksen, except i think Eriksen is more useful wide left, because he is the type of player that can cross/assist from all over.
If i remember correctly i said i thought we should play 4-3-3, or something similar, 4-1-3-2 / 4-2-3-1 etc. i think our squad is far better set up to play that way, rather than the 4-4-2 we have at the minute.
The only way i can see us playing with eriksen wide left at the minute and sticking with 4-4-2 is if we play with a lot of fluidity and have someone else in the middle coming across, so that we play 4-4-2 with the ball and 4-3-1-2without (leaving our two strikers up, and eriksen in the middle) but that means having strong 3 quick fast all round midfielders in the middle. Someone like Dembele bentaleb and Paulinho could work, but that means one of those has to play on the right (which dembele did at newcastle, and we won 4-0... probably just a coincidence because they are shit)

But yeah to sum up, our squad isn't really suited to the way we play.

Voted for Eriksen in the end. No one really shone for the full season but he has been different class recently. Adapted well considering his age, injuries, and the fact he was a new signing. At times he looks far more experienced than our older players - we can rely on him too much sometimes to influence the game. Shades of Modric and VdV, and one of the few positives from the season.

Back
Top Bottom