Paulinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's annoying. People hailing Lamela as our hero yet condemning Pauli and Chadli despite them both more impressive in their appearances for us. None were outstanding, but every player in our squad struggled at some point last season.

I have to agree with this. I do think that is a bit of a double-standard.

If he's average, what does that make Soldado? Lamela? Chadli? Capoue? Chiriches? The rest of our squad besides Lloris and Eriksen? Not one of our players has had an outstanding worldcup in any way, so just give it a fuckin break. A bad season on all fronts leads to bad tournament form-- absolutely no reason to condemn Paulinho for it.

I don't care about an outstanding World Cup. We picked up Paulinho based on his Confederations Cup showing, which everyone will agree, was very impressive. We picked up every one of those players you mentioned based on a seasons worth (or more) of performance. Sample size means a lot when it comes to being able to rate someone as a player. We've had plenty of time to see Paulinho and comparatively little to see everyone else you mentioned, with maybe the exception being Soldado. "On form" can be used quite incorrectly when it comes to a player like Paulinho. Everyone wants to come along and say that if he was "on form" he'd be doing much better. Unfortunately, I think that he HAS been on form. We picked him up based on an above average performance. I believe he has a place in the EPL, but not with Spurs.

I know I'm in the minority on this, but I think that the period when our CB's were Daws and Chiriches we were better defensively. Maybe it's because we were playing slightly easier sides, maybe they clicked a little bit better. Not sure. I think that Chiriches gets shit on when you could easily place the blame elsewhere.

Paulinho is such an enigma. Loved by the pros, hated by the peasants.

It's a fallacy to assume that we have bought him based on his performance in the CC. Benjamin Benjamin , you do know that he was a staple of a rather successful Corinthians side?
You think that he has been on form, yet everyone who has seen him play before he joined us says that he has become a shadow of his former self.
Zico said:
He is a problem now because he is a shadow of the player that last year proved so important in creative and defensive duties. He is a true box-to-box player that I had the pleasure to interview for my TV show and I advised him to keep playing that way.
Paulinho had a tough season at Tottenham and it's blatantly clear that he lacks rhythm and confidence. He is not as incisive as he used to be.
Get the fuck off his back, bluds. Judging him (or anyone else for that matter) based on last season's performances is like judging the taste of a belgian waffle by looking at a picture of a blue waffle.

Belgian Waffle

Belgian_waffle_close_up.jpg

Blue Waffle

3up4hc.jpg

I see your point.....:gallashmm:

I don't care about an outstanding World Cup. We picked up Paulinho based on his Confederations Cup showing, which everyone will agree, was very impressive. We picked up every one of those players you mentioned based on a seasons worth (or more) of performance. Sample size means a lot when it comes to being able to rate someone as a player. We've had plenty of time to see Paulinho and comparatively little to see everyone else you mentioned, with maybe the exception being Soldado. "On form" can be used quite incorrectly when it comes to a player like Paulinho. Everyone wants to come along and say that if he was "on form" he'd be doing much better. Unfortunately, I think that he HAS been on form. We picked him up based on an above average performance. I believe he has a place in the EPL, but not with Spurs.

I know I'm in the minority on this, but I think that the period when our CB's were Daws and Chiriches we were better defensively. Maybe it's because we were playing slightly easier sides, maybe they clicked a little bit better. Not sure. I think that Chiriches gets shit on when you could easily place the blame elsewhere.

Not shitting on Chiriches... I actually think it's imperative he be in the starting side next year. Simply saying that, if by your standards, Paulinho is "average," then every other player on our squad sans two or three are either at the same level or totally below it.

as far as judging players on last year's performances goes.. there's really not much I can say or post that hasn't already been said. it's totally pointless living in the negativity of last season, especially given how positive the 14/15 season can be for Spurs.

100% agree. I will now refer to this post in its entirety every time I see any more of this horse shit pre-season Paulinho hate.

(and at Mad Yid Mad Yid 's blue waffle post every time I feel hot and bothered)
Sticking by a player whom his countrymen, fellow Brazilian professionals and national manager have all admitted is not the player of at least 2 years ago is a laudable position to take, but do you think all these people are wrong, and you are right? Your appreciation of his talents seem to be based on blind faith, not on watching his performances for club or country.

So much of this thread seems to be a bunch of ...but, but, but HE'S BRAZILIAN!!

At this point we are absolutely going to keep the guy for another season. Sure, he showed spirit and leadership before the shootout w/ Brazil. Too bad he's put almost zero effort into learning English so he could do that for Spurs!

Corinthians is a club in Brasileirao. A league that is absolutely nowhere near as difficult as playing in the EPL. You know who else did really well in Brasileirao? Jo. Shit, I'd go out on a limb and say these guys careers will most certainly take a similar trajectory.

I'm neither pro or anti Paulinho atm. Praying he doesn't become a Kleberson.

Has shown glimpses of great play, and has yet to play in a consistent line-up with a good manager so deffo not gonna write him off.

If Poch comes in and gets Paulinho playing with confidence and back in his rhythm he will hit double digits in goals coming out ta midfield. A player like that is invaluable to a team like Tottenham. A 3 of Sandro or Capoue with Paulinho and Eriksen has everything you need to give any other midfield a run for their money. If Poch gets our squad playing with confidence again we won't need very many new players at all especially in the center of the park.

Only peasants slag off Paulinho - well put truetomyself truetomyself
Brazil international - not good enough for the mighty Spurs. Fucking jokers.
I would prefer to gauge the level of his value to Spurs by his performances for Spurs, not his performances for the Brazil national team.

On current form he doesn't warrant a place in our starting 11, Brazil international be damned.

If Poch comes in and gets Paulinho playing with confidence and back in his rhythm he will hit double digits in goals coming out ta midfield. A player like that is invaluable to a team like Tottenham. A 3 of Sandro or Capoue with Paulinho and Eriksen has everything you need to give any other midfield a run for their money. If Poch gets our squad playing with confidence again we won't need very many new players at all especially in the center of the park.
Mate that's old skool.

Back
Top Bottom