Paulinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Paulinho has discussed his “difficult time” in north London at Tottenham.

Paulinho joined Tottenham in 2013, but had more managers than he did years at the club.

Andre Villas-Boas signed the midfielder and Tim Sherwood inherited him, before Mauricio Pochettino misused and sold him, according to Paulinho himself.

The Brazilian is now impressing at Barcelona after a brief spell in China, and has looked back on his time in the Premier League.

“I wouldn’t say it was a relief to leave Spurs but it was clear I had to,” he told The Guardian. “It was a difficult time.

“[André] Villas-Boas bought me in July 2013 and in December Villas-Boas goes. He’d wanted me, we’d spoken a lot, and then six months later Tim Sherwood was in charge. There was no problem with him – he was very young, a good coach – but the team wasn’t doing well and he came under pressure to change things. He did things a little differently but I still played the last eight or nine games that season.

“Then came the change from Sherwood to Mauricio Pochettino.

“My first game is in my position but after that I played in every position apart from my own. If we play in a three, I’m here. If we play in a two, I’m here.

“He had a different system, and if you’re not in your position in a football as competitive as England it’s difficult.

“I was playing on the left wing: the míster put me there and I had to play there, because I wanted to play. I had no problem with Pochettino. I told him: ‘This position is not mine but if you want I can play there.’ But in the long term you’re not going to be at your best and over the last six months I wasn’t playing regularly.

“I thought the moment had come to leave. Where? I didn’t know. But I wanted to leave. The coach wasn’t trusting in me so there’s no reason to stay. It was April, May 2015, a month left. I’d spoken to the president [chairman Daniel Levy] and asked him if he could help. He was a buenísimo person and he said: ‘Let’s wait and see if you have anything.’”

Playing on the left wing?
He played mostly in the EL under Pochettino and iirc it was central midfield in a 2 or as a No10. Think he played on the right of midfield v Besiktas at home when we played Kane amd Soldado up front, a 4411.
If he’s talking about the time in the EL when he was brought on when we were 2 up at Astra goo goo and He Mason and Soldado were brought on for Lamela, Eriksen and Kane (giving us Dembele, Stambouli - Mason Paulinho Townsend- Soldado then it was to do a defensive job for 20 mins, which we didn’t. They scored.
If he was used in PL it was usually as sub and he didn’t play on the left. I can’t remember him on the left when we had Eriksen or Chadli on the left of a 3 Lamela or Townsendmon right.
He came on a Sub usually in PL a No10 or CM like he did v Hull , Everton, West Brom, Chelsea, palace etc.
Also played No 10 in the LC
Left wing my arse.
He also played alongside Dembele against West ham in CM when he bottled it with Adebayor under Sherwood. He played in his best position for Tim, so what’s his excuse for being shit then?

Last edited:
I Was in the Grave | By Paulinho

Really interesting to hear what he's said about the club, particularly with Danny Rose popping up every few weeks to take pot shots.

"When I eventually left to go play for Tottenham in the Premier League, I went through a difficult time in my second season, and a lot of people lost faith in me. But one person who always believed in me was Tite.

Actually, I would like to clear up something about my time at Spurs. I really cannot say a bad word about the club or the staff or the president. It is true that it was a very difficult period for me as a player, and there were times when I did not want to leave my apartment in London because I was so stressed about not playing. For a footballer, not playing is like a fish not being in the water. I felt as though I were suffocating. For whatever reason, I was not in Mauricio Pochettino’s plans. I didn’t fit his philosophy, I guess. But we never even had a disagreement. One day, I went to the club president and told him that if they got an offer close to what they paid for me, that I would like to move on. They were very professional about it."

Certainly made me respect him a bit more.

I Was in the Grave | By Paulinho

Really interesting to hear what he's said about the club, particularly with Danny Rose popping up every few weeks to take pot shots.

"When I eventually left to go play for Tottenham in the Premier League, I went through a difficult time in my second season, and a lot of people lost faith in me. But one person who always believed in me was Tite.

Actually, I would like to clear up something about my time at Spurs. I really cannot say a bad word about the club or the staff or the president. It is true that it was a very difficult period for me as a player, and there were times when I did not want to leave my apartment in London because I was so stressed about not playing. For a footballer, not playing is like a fish not being in the water. I felt as though I were suffocating. For whatever reason, I was not in Mauricio Pochettino’s plans. I didn’t fit his philosophy, I guess. But we never even had a disagreement. One day, I went to the club president and told him that if they got an offer close to what they paid for me, that I would like to move on. They were very professional about it."

Certainly made me respect him a bit more.
Baffling that he didn't understand why he wasn't playing though.

He was a buenísimo person

daniellevy.jpg

I've never had anything against Paulinho. It didn't work out, but it weren't because he didn't care or try. Shit happens sometimes and we thought he'd be a player he wasn't. Godspeed.

I've never had anything against Paulinho. It didn't work out, but it weren't because he didn't care or try. Shit happens sometimes and we thought he'd be a player he wasn't. Godspeed.
Arcspace was pretty big on him at the time, which I can't forgive.

Sorry Pauli, no offense but I hope you rot in hell.

Nah. He was the laziest footballer I've seen at Spurs for decades. He was also a bottler, hid in games, never used to show for the ball, this is the very worst criticism you can label a footballer, he was a disgrace and an utter cunt. Threw a party when we binned him.

Dodgy construction business deals. Florentino Perez's construction company has been bidding and won a few projects in China owned by the Evergrande Real Estate Group, who own the football club.
I'm confused. What's the link with Perez and Barcelona's transfer dealings?

Back
Top Bottom