Our Defence

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Best back 4 in my lifetime and I've been going since the late 70s. We have some great defenders but not many great defences. We never to my knowledge had the best defence in the league we do now.

Best back 4 in my lifetime and I've been going since the late 70s. We have some great defenders but not many great defences. We never to my knowledge had the best defence in the league we do now.

The most amazing thing is that 3 of that back 4 were at the club four years ago... If you'd said then that we were a single addition away from the best defence in our recent history I'd have laughed in your face.

We're sitting joint top in the least conceded goals so far in the Prem. Up there with Utd Watford and Everton.

Great improvement from last season :townhmm:

We're sitting joint top in the least conceded goals so far in the Prem. Up there with Utd Watford and Everton.

Great improvement from last season :townhmm:

I agree completely, Ben Davis had an excellent game today and made numerous super blocks, interceptions and tackles. The ever reliable Jan, Toby, Walker and Hugo all played really well to. Glad Fazio didn't even make the bench, as he appears to be a liability at the moment.

I thought the back line looked solid throughout (apart from one silly mistake from Kyle, which luckily they couldn't take advantage of). I personally would prefer Rose to Davies, albeit the latter had a really good game today. Hugo and Dier balance the defence perfectly, IMO - don't know why we didn't stick with these for the game on Wed!!!

The fact that we're not hemorrhaging goals at a constant rate anymore is one of the most pleasing things about us so far this season. Every match I no longer think, "okay, when is our big defensive mistake coming." That's certainly a bit of a relief!

Best back 4 interplay off the ball we have had in ages. Also key is Dier and Lloris on either side. Between this 6, we are formidable. The only thing that worries me is we play it out of defense too riskily.

A very important aspect this season imo is how fit Poch has us and the spine of Kane, Toby, Dier, Mason and Lloris.

No more soft Spurs! Love it! We are even scoring from corners!!! We will have to perform a mock funeral for the word Spursy.
:dierpochhug:

For me, what Dier has done is define the roll in front of the back four. Bentaleb is a decent player and I have no doubt that he could fill Diers position with an understanding of whats expected, as of when needed. Mason would be more Allis position for me.

It is looking very bright. Our Belgian duo were absolutely immense against City yesterday, and we've got two full-backs that are (at least) among the very best in the league.

And what really makes me happy is that it feels like we have good strength in depth there, too. It's amazing that we have a talent like Kevin Wimmer who's willing to play second fiddle to the Toby/Jan partnership, but there we are. We also have CCV ready and waiting, and I'm sure he'll get a bit more game-time if we progress in the domestic cups.

Then there's Ben Davies and Kieran Trippier: Both exceptional full-backs in their own right.

Exciting times...

As others have said Dier is key. Remember too many times last season watching Bentaleb and Mason roll the ball back and forth between each other, inviting players like Sterling to rip us open.

I have been a big fan of Bentaleb in the past but that defensive weakness has been a problem.

One thing I am really enjoying when watching this side is the tackle. I fucking love a well timed tackle and across the pitch every player is putting them in. I must have been out of my seat 4 or 5 times a game this season from our forwards nicking the ball back of a ponderous midfielder and instantly starting a counter to a fair but fully committed no nonsense Dier defensive crunch. Just as exciting as a player running at a defence with the ball at their feet.

Started well again this campaign.

293322_57c7242cae7fd167372d255bea152e75.jpeg

Agree 100%. Sure, we've had some great defenders, the first back 4 I ever saw had the likes of Mike England and the criminally unsung Phil Beal. Mullery and Perryman in MF and Jennings in goal.

But we've never had a system like this, nothing nearly as potent. It must be like playing a multi-headed hydra. And it started with Son pressing their keeper and just went through the whole team.

Some great saves from Hugo between the sticks,. but please sort that distribution. A howler of a hospital pass to Jan that almost gifted them a goal, and about 4 others in the first 20 mins. Very obvious from the North stand.

The fact that we're not hemorrhaging goals at a constant rate anymore is one of the most pleasing things about us so far this season. Every match I no longer think, "okay, when is our big defensive mistake coming." That's certainly a bit of a relief!
I'm still thinking that. All greatness today aside, in the first half we had Walker providing his usual gift to the oppo, and Lloris misplacing a simple clearance, putting it right in Sterling's lap. Luckily Sterling handled the ball, so nothing came of it. We're less exposed than last season though, mainly due to Dier's new life as a DM. As a result I think we defend better as a team..not just with the back five.

Back
Top Bottom