Our Defence

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We're sitting joint top in the least conceded goals so far in the Prem. Up there with Utd Watford and Everton.

Great improvement from last season :townhmm:

We're sitting joint top in the least conceded goals so far in the Prem. Up there with Utd Watford and Everton.

Great improvement from last season :townhmm:

I agree completely, Ben Davis had an excellent game today and made numerous super blocks, interceptions and tackles. The ever reliable Jan, Toby, Walker and Hugo all played really well to. Glad Fazio didn't even make the bench, as he appears to be a liability at the moment.

The fact that we're not hemorrhaging goals at a constant rate anymore is one of the most pleasing things about us so far this season. Every match I no longer think, "okay, when is our big defensive mistake coming." That's certainly a bit of a relief!

I thought the back line looked solid throughout (apart from one silly mistake from Kyle, which luckily they couldn't take advantage of). I personally would prefer Rose to Davies, albeit the latter had a really good game today. Hugo and Dier balance the defence perfectly, IMO - don't know why we didn't stick with these for the game on Wed!!!

Best back 4 interplay off the ball we have had in ages. Also key is Dier and Lloris on either side. Between this 6, we are formidable. The only thing that worries me is we play it out of defense too riskily.

A very important aspect this season imo is how fit Poch has us and the spine of Kane, Toby, Dier, Mason and Lloris.

No more soft Spurs! Love it! We are even scoring from corners!!! We will have to perform a mock funeral for the word Spursy.
:dierpochhug:

The fact that we're not hemorrhaging goals at a constant rate anymore is one of the most pleasing things about us so far this season. Every match I no longer think, "okay, when is our big defensive mistake coming." That's certainly a bit of a relief!
I'm still thinking that. All greatness today aside, in the first half we had Walker providing his usual gift to the oppo, and Lloris misplacing a simple clearance, putting it right in Sterling's lap. Luckily Sterling handled the ball, so nothing came of it. We're less exposed than last season though, mainly due to Dier's new life as a DM. As a result I think we defend better as a team..not just with the back five.

As others have said Dier is key. Remember too many times last season watching Bentaleb and Mason roll the ball back and forth between each other, inviting players like Sterling to rip us open.

I have been a big fan of Bentaleb in the past but that defensive weakness has been a problem.

Toby has transformed us in my opinion. He has great awareness and doesn't panic. Settles the whole defence and as a result they all play better. Verts is back to his best as he feels comfortable now. Walker and Davies are prone to making occasional mistakes but are generally very good.

For me, what Dier has done is define the roll in front of the back four. Bentaleb is a decent player and I have no doubt that he could fill Diers position with an understanding of whats expected, as of when needed. Mason would be more Allis position for me.

One thing I am really enjoying when watching this side is the tackle. I fucking love a well timed tackle and across the pitch every player is putting them in. I must have been out of my seat 4 or 5 times a game this season from our forwards nicking the ball back of a ponderous midfielder and instantly starting a counter to a fair but fully committed no nonsense Dier defensive crunch. Just as exciting as a player running at a defence with the ball at their feet.

One thing I am really enjoying when watching this side is the tackle. I fucking love a well timed tackle and across the pitch every player is putting them in. I must have been out of my seat 4 or 5 times a game this season from our forwards nicking the ball back of a ponderous midfielder and instantly starting a counter to a fair but fully committed no nonsense Dier defensive crunch. Just as exciting as a player running at a defence with the ball at their feet.

What I like is when we do nick the ball off them, we are off like a flash. I love watching the faces drop of the other team as they have to run half the length of the pitch again.

When the ref slows the game down I am shouting at the TV. I don't want to give the other team any rest to get their heart rates down because we have unlimited gas tanks. We keep the pedal to the metal for 90 mins and we are going to see a lot of goals in the tail end of games, or even the tail end of the first half.

Almost every game they have subbed players for cramp against us. Even in losses vs Utd and Scum they were subbing players through exhaustion and cramp. I've started threads with 1000's of responses on this subject. We are no longer the team of spice boys that is hung over from a Friday night.

That's why I respect Poch.

Oxlade Chamberpot is supposed to be their genetic freak of an athlete and he was being subbed off in agony. Seeing the pain he was in was scant reward for our efforts.

So it's not just the physical contact battle we are winning. We are also winning the mental game. Utd and the Scum are going to dread playing against us. They remember how lucky they were. They remember not being able to breathe and we will be even fitter the next time we face them and hopefully Kane will have his shooting sorted out.

I'm quietly delighted by it all too. Last season we were a dangerous team in attack, but just let in too many sloppy goals. Obviously I think Hugo's brilliant, but I'm feeling the love for Pochettino. This summer he's looked at the best way to get more out of the team, and decided that improving the defence is the key. We're in a position now where we've got 4 really good full-backs, and have significantly strengthened in central defence with Toby and Wimmer coming in.

But added to the personnel changes, the move of Dier into a disruptor role in front of the back four (and in defensive phases dropping in as a third CB) has been a tactical master-stroke. It's fantastic that Eric's so capable of stepping up and playing with tactical discipline, commitment and heart, too!

So far it's looking amazing, though I think an injury or suspension for Dier could really put us in Dier straits. :p

Back
Top Bottom