Other Matches Fred 2023/24

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Literally all these coaches apart from Tuchel ended up dropping him and most of them are low-block coaches who like his discipline and ability to nod away headers.

Dier obviously isn't a 'top quality' cb ffs. He is a very limited player having a good run in a team with out of form centre backs. He won't last long at Bayern as a starter. He's doing the basics right and that's been enough due to the form of Upamecano and Kim.

He was never exposed tonight like he was vs Saka in the QF first leg. Dier when he's not exposed is fine....

He was only dropped by all of those managers when his injuries affected his performance. All of them have SAID SO.

They all say he's a top quality CB. Mourinho wanted to pay 50 million for him ffs

He was only dropped by all of those managers when his injuries affected his performance. All of them have SAID SO.

They all say he's a top quality CB. Mourinho wanted to pay 50 million for him ffs

Jose also spent 80 million on Lukaku. His idea of what makes a good footballer is outdated by about ten years.

All of them said he only got dropped because of injuries? Find the quotes. Post them.

Not even in the England setup ffs. Top quality? Top is VVD or Rudiger. You see what Rudiger did at times this game, just dominating players with his athleticism, speed, aggression? Not just being passive and avoiding engaging.

Dier is a mid tier CB on a good run who will return imminently to the bench.

Jose also spent 80 million on Lukaku. His idea of what makes a good footballer is outdated by about ten years.

All of them said he only got dropped because of injuries? Find the quotes. Post them.

Not even in the England setup ffs. Top quality? Top is VVD or Rudiger. You see what Rudiger did at times this game, just dominating players with his athleticism, speed, aggression? Not just being passive and avoiding engaging.

Dier is a mid tier CB on a good run who will return imminently to the bench.
We seem to have differing ideas of what the term "top quality" means. You seem to be defining it as what I would call "world class" and no, Dxier is not that.

But anyone who goes into Bayern and become their number 1 CB and performs excellently in consecutive CL finals is what I define as "top quality".

But if you want to hate on him I won't stop you

Pochettino, Mourinho, Conte and Tuchel have all said Dier is a top quality CB.

Weird how wrong they are and some Spurs fans on dodgy forums have it right... :cautious:
He was shite for us for ages.

Not rewriting history.

I'm cool with him after the way he handled scum, tho.

Hope he goes all the way (not likely now, tho tbf)

Bayern suits him.

Good on him.

We seem to have differing ideas of what the term "top quality" means. You seem to be defining it as what I would call "world class" and no, Dxier is not that.

But anyone who goes into Bayern and become their number 1 CB and performs excellently in consecutive CL finals is what I define as "top quality".

But if you want to hate on him I won't stop you

He isn't their number 1 CB, De Ligt is.

Bayern's centre backs are poor. Upamecano has been borderline atrocious all season and Kim (as we saw today) has transitioned terribly to German football. Again, Dier is stable and does not dive in. At the moment that's enough. He's not doing anything especially impressive.

Top quality is a centre back who could play well in all systems. A centre back who can do well in a low-block setup isn't top class, he's situational. I don't 'hate' Dier (he's a likable enough guy) but I do disagree with the idea that a run in this Bayern team makes you top class. Laimer was great tonight, I don't rate him all that much overall either.

And Dier wasn't 'excellent' tonight. He was fine. Solid and unexceptional. No defensive actions of note, but carried the ball well out from the back. A quick look at most post-match media ratings and he's averaging a 6/10. The fact you view that as excellent tells me you're probably a bit biased in his favour.

Just think there's jokers like Notabadsquad squad hoping and desperately on his knees for Bayern to lose this just so that his precious online ego isn't bruised and that he's proven wrong about Kane.

I'll take the compliment of the mention.

I'm not changing on Kane. Super player but not a Bale or a Drogba in their different ways. It's a statement on the evidence.

Today it's just Real Madrid. Freakish in this competition.

He isn't their number 1 CB, De Ligt is.

Bayern's centre backs are poor. Upamecano has been borderline atrocious all season and Kim (as we saw today) has transitioned terribly to German football. Again, Dier is stable and does not dive in. At the moment that's enough. He's not doing anything especially impressive.

Top quality is a centre back who could play well in all systems. A centre back who can do well in a low-block setup isn't top class, he's situational. I don't 'hate' Dier (he's a likable enough guy) but I do disagree with the idea that a run in this Bayern team makes you top class. Laimer was great tonight, I don't rate him all that much overall either.

And Dier wasn't 'excellent' tonight. He was fine. Solid and unexceptional. No defensive actions of note, but carried the ball well out from the back. A quick look at most post-match media ratings and he's averaging a 6/10. The fact you view that as excellent tells me you're probably a bit biased in his favour.

He was definitely a bit better than a 6/10. He was a 10/10 compared to his partner. But overall he gave a pretty good performance against a quick attack that doesn't suit his game.

I'll take the compliment of the mention.

I'm not changing on Kane. Super player but not a Bale or a Drogba in their different ways. It's a statement on the evidence.

Today it's just Real Madrid. Freakish in this competition.

Kane destroys Drogba in most things, other than aerial ability and scoring in the biggest games which Drogba made a habit of for what was a very strong Chelsea side. But in terms of overall quality and footballing intelligence it's not even close.

If Bayern can win at the Bernabeu I think they'll go on to win the competition, which would be amazing for Kane. Think it would also be good for England too leading into the Euros. Although I do consider Real pretty strong favourites now, Bayern do have the right players to play a counter attacking game away from home.

Back
Top Bottom