Oliver Skipp

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If he has anything about him he needs to get himself out and find a club where he’ll play regularly. That will never happen at Tottenham and by the end of the next transfer window he’ll not even get a sniff of the bench unless there’s loads of injuries and suspensions.
If he stays it shows a complete lack of wanting to have a career in the game where you can play 400//500 games.

Last edited:
If he has anything about him he needs to get himself out and find a club where he’ll play regularly. That will never happen at Tottenham and by the end of the next transfer window he’ll not even get a sniff of the bench unless there’s loads of injuries and suspensions.
If he stays it shows a complete lack of wanting to have a career in the game where you can play 400//500 games.
Agreed, he has to move on.

Donley's emergence increases the likelihood that Skipp goes in the summer imo. I have no doubt that Skipp is a Premier League player, he's still young, got a lot of experience and can be very good on his day, but it is very unlikely that he's going to be at the level we need, particularly when he never plays.

Agreed, he has to move on.
Donley's emergence increases the likelihood that Skipp goes in the summer imo. I have no doubt that Skipp is a Premier League player, he's still young, got a lot of experience and can be very good on his day, but it is very unlikely that he's going to be at the level we need, particularly when he never plays.
You say he never plays?
Who was that Skipp that's been seen running around on the pitch for 17 of our games this season (571 minutes) then ...and in the matchday squad for every Premiership game bar two (one because he picked up a knock)?

Maybe he might consider a move, but get your facts right.

You say he never plays?
Who was that Skipp that's been seen running around on the pitch for 17 of our games this season (571 minutes) then ...and in the matchday squad for every Premiership game bar two (one because he picked up a knock)?

Get my facts right? My facts are fine.

Whilst yeah, it isn't literal that he "doesn't play" but his game time over those 17 games averages out at half an hour a game. That was with Bentancur missing for large periods due to injury. Bissouma suspended for an extended period with both he and Pape away at AFCON.

Being in the matchday squad does not count as playing.

He's 23 years old and with the promise that he has shown earlier on in his career, you imagine he'd see himself starting week in week out. He isn't doing that at Tottenham and by not getting a run of games and an opportunity to prove himself, he never will be anything more than a bit part player at the club.

With a fit squad and Bergvall joining in the summer, his playing time is going to even more limited.

Get my facts right? My facts are fine.

Whilst yeah, it isn't literal that he "doesn't play" but his game time over those 17 games averages out at half an hour a game. That was with Bentancur missing for large periods due to injury. Bissouma suspended for an extended period with both he and Pape away at AFCON.

Being in the matchday squad does not count as playing.

He's 23 years old and with the promise that he has shown earlier on in his career, you imagine he'd see himself starting week in week out. He isn't doing that at Tottenham and he won't do that here if he isn't played more regularly.

With a fit squad and Bergvall joining in the summer, his playing time is going to even more limited.
Make yer mind up, for Godsake.

I don't disagree with most of your points, but you can't get away with this sloppiness.

I don't disagree with most of your points, but you can't get away with this sloppiness.
A) It's the fucking internet
B) I don't give a shit
C) I am not in the mood to get into an argument over pixels on a screen after the week I've had.
D) Please, kindly. Fuck off.

He doesn’t really play. He’s a bit part player. I think yes is meaning he’s not playing regularly. The lad needs to find his level and play every week or he’ll end up 25 and have played just over 100 games.
The lad needs to go somewhere and start games every week. He’s hardly featured since everyone is back fit and available and Hojbjerg and Lo Celso are getting on before him now.

Out of interest how many games has he started this season ?

He doesn’t really play. He’s a bit part player. I think yes is meaning he’s not playing regularly. The lad needs to find his level and play every week or he’ll end up 25 and have played just over 100 games.
The lad needs to go somewhere and start games every week. He’s hardly featured since everyone is back fit and available and Hojbjerg and Lo Celso are getting on before him now.

Out of interest how many games has he started this season ?

The flipside:

We are are not careers advisors.

We need someone to plug gaps whilst realistically getting minimal game-time..... He's HG & club trained so essentially doesn't take up a squad place......... He has an affinity with the club....... So long as he's happy enough; why NOT Skipp?

You say he never plays?

We had about seven first teamers missing for a third of a season

The flipside:

We are are not careers advisors.

We need someone to plug gaps whilst realistically getting minimal game-time..... He's HG & club trained so essentially doesn't take up a squad place......... He has an affinity with the club....... So long as he's happy enough; why NOT Skipp?
That’s fair enough but if he wants to hang about to be that guy then he’s not for me. If that’s how he wants to go through his career and sit and watch football then fair play to him but that’s pathetic.
The flip side to that is he won’t want to do that and he’ll ask to leave and have a career. I hope he does move on and play rather than be a spectator for another couple of years with the odd appearance here and there. He’ll regret it if he stays because we all know he won’t play. I’d be surprised if he starts another game for us.

That’s fair enough but if he wants to hang about to be that guy then he’s not for me.

.........You see the catch 22 here?

There arguably needs to be such a "guy"; but whoever accepts being that "guy" is 'not for you'...?

Do you have such an aversion to 2nd & 3rd keepers too?

.........You see the catch 22 here?

There arguably needs to be such a "guy"; but whoever accepts being that "guy" is 'not for you'...?

Do you have such an aversion to 2nd & 3rd keepers too?
Not someone like skipp who’s been around awhile who will never really play. I’d rather see a younger one who’s a couple of years behind Skipp who might have more to his game. I don’t believe for one minute we don’t have a younger player that can do more than Skipp.

Having someone like Forster is perfect for a number 2 because he’s at the end and won’t let you down and then a young one as third. Keepers have longer careers but even they should go out and play.
Vicario,Forster and the best one from the Academy is enough. When has any team had to use more than 3 keepers in a season?

He's bloody good. Many Premiership teams would be blessed with him in their first eleven. We're too fucking dismissive. Just think about all the other players we dumped who went on to be brilliant for other clubs.

He’s probably going to be a millionaire many times over by the time his contract here expires. He can then find a club and still have a decent career.
People have to realise players may just want to play, but they aren’t going to sacrifice their financial future to do so. Unless somebody pays him what we do or more, he’ll probably stay here and not play rather than go somewhere and get regular starts.

I’ve been disappointed that his minutes with us this season have been as an 8 rather than a 6 (especially given the issues we’ve had more recently there).
When he broke through, the one thing he excelled at was his positioning and interceptions. That’s a key attribute (probably one of the first things one would ascribe to Rodri when praising him) for that role.

Agree that talentwise he’s unlikely to make it here longer term but I do feel when Ange has used him it’s not been to utilise his best talents.

Back
Top Bottom