New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yes, I suppose am. I think it is crucial that the manager gets most of his targets, and the players sold are the ones he thinks he can do without. When the upheaval of the stadium finally happens, we really don't need an unsettled squad and an under pressure manager. Woolwich went very quiet in the transfer market while their place was built and paid for, and we don't have the luxury of simply moving from one ground to another. I expect our transfer business, during the redevelopment, to be equally quiet. So the next two summer windows before the move are extremely important IMO.
Fair enough. It's all about priorities I guess, but we can both agree I assume that transfers and the new stadium are important.

I do admire your staunch support of players who have not quite delivered, or on the wane...and I mean that. I am all for supporting the players we have but Jenas was often a passenger, and the kind that needed a piss stop every five miles.
All about opinions, I don't agree. JJ was a consistent hard working mid for us before his injuries took a toll. Far from being a passenger I bet he covered more ground than most of our players.

Interesting but slightly misleading.
Yes, the 18, 6 yard boxes are set in stone as is the centre circle. But the actual square footage that Pat Nevin was highlighting were the absolute extremes. In practice the area covered depends entirely on the set up of the teams and the actual grounds being used. You could take the shaded area used as an example between Stoke and Villas grounds and distribute it equally elsewhere, you would then end up with a completely different scenario.
If you make a pitch wider, wingers will lap it up, if you make a pitch longer and thinner, it will suit teams like the Wimbledon team of the 80s. Nevin was a right sided winger so the example in his film makes perfect sense to him and the games that he played in. Don't know the stats, but I would assume that West Hams ground would not have been a good hunting ground for him personally given its narrow dimensions. I'm probably completely wrong mind, so don't hold me to it. Would be interesting to find out the opinions of a wide range of players though, whether they preferred larger pitches or more compact ones, depending on the positions that they played in.
The space between the pitch and the first row of seats also has a big outcome on how a game is played. Players have said in the past that WHL was a good place to play because of its proximity to the stands and the feedback that that scenario gives them in regards to atmosphere. It also has a good run off area compared to similar sized grounds. Compare that then to say QPR, players are less likely to run that extra couple of yards to sweep the ball into the box from the cornerpost if they thought that it could cause an injury by ending up knee deep in advertising hoardings.
It is then, no surprise that down the years, there has been some magnificent games played at the two Manchester Clubs, given that historically they are amongst the bigger pitches in the league. It's not set in stone though, WHL is one of the smallest pitches, it's also had its fair share of "Special" games, if not more.
Just saying!

All about opinions, I don't agree. JJ was a consistent hard working mid for us before his injuries took a toll. Far from being a passenger I bet he covered more ground than most of our players.

Covering more ground is fine but it is what he did with the ball that was more concerning. I have an analogy for Jenas; he is like a British summer, one brilliant day followed by four not so great days.

He did enjoy scoring against Woolwich though....

Covering more ground is fine but it is what he did with the ball that was more concerning. I have an analogy for Jenas; he is like a British summer, one brilliant day followed by four not so great days.

He did enjoy scoring against Woolwich though....
Spot on.

He had the ability I don't think many doubt that. But his application and consistency were never there. I think everyone could see he was a good player, which was the most frustrating bit.

Well I disagree again. But I don't wish to derail the thread, so I'll say no more on it.
Just as a side note, the late great Sir Bobby Robson,obviously saw something in Jenas. He rarely made mistakes when he was at the top of his game. Unfortunately the stars just didn't align for him. If they had, I think Jenas could of been up there with the other Spurs legends that we all remember, that is something we can all agree on, the fact that it was so frustrating that we never really witnessed his true capabilities.

Just as a side note, the late great Sir Bobby Robson,obviously saw something in Jenas. He rarely made mistakes when he was at the top of his game. Unfortunately the stars just didn't align for him. If they had, I think Jenas could of been up there with the other Spurs legends that we all remember, that is something we can all agree on, the fact that it was so frustrating that we never really witnessed his true capabilities.
Had all the physical and technical qualities.

Just didnt have the heart for it.

I wouldn't have much heart for my job if I was getting called a wanker by dozens (maybe even hundreds) of people every time I tried to do it.
Totally agree.

He was the scapegoat of scapegoats.

I'm not sure if heart was the right word to describe what he was lacking really...

a kind of intensity, arrogance and bastardness was definitely missing.

He was quick, had a good technique, good stamina and an eye for goal. Unfortunately, he didn't have the mentality. He was never one to try to boss and dictate games. He he spent most of his time passing sideways and backwards and doing the Jenas 360

to much money to soon leads to this :mong: or this :bentley: more times than not

football is fucked mate as the money is here to stay so the sooner you get use to unfulfilled potential the better

that first big contract is akin to hitting the lotto for millions, most people aren't to hungry after that, then add the endless supply of money hungry sluts and fake friends looking for a good time or a piece of the action

a recipe for disaster

to much money to soon leads to this :mong: or this :bentley: more times than not

football is fucked mate as the money is here to stay so the sooner you get use to unfulfilled potential the better

that first big contract is akin to hitting the lotto for millions, most people aren't to hungry after that, then add the endless supply of money hungry sluts and fake friends looking for a good time or a piece of the action

a recipe for disaster

I know someone who knows Bostock and thats exactly what happened to him. As soon as he signed on with us and got that big paycheck, he just started partying and dossing about. He used to get cars sent to his house to pick him up as he never turned up to training. Wasted talent

Had some great ITK on the Stadium tonight. One of my mates was laying cables for the TV centre, which is now in the land we bought from the school, and the build goes ahead very soon according to the stadium manager. Two year build, then we need to move out for one season until completion. This is for real, and the word is Milton Keynes. He's back there tomorrow, and I will update.

Last edited:
Had some great ITK on the Stadium tonight. One of my mates was laying cables for the TV centre, which is now in the land we bought from the school, and the build goes ahead very soon according to the stadium manager. Two year build, then we need to move out for one season until completion. This is for real, and the word is Milton Keynes. He's back there tomorrow, and I will update.
Thanks for the info Joe. So hope this is true.

I won't speculate any further. I'll know more tonight. Take the capacity with a pinch of salt. And Milton Keynes ha. Schedule for real. He's going to find out more today.

Back
Top Bottom