New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The new stadium is going to cost half a billion pounds. We currently break even, give or take a few million. How do you think that new expenditure is going to impact on a team that is struggling to keep pace with the top 4?
So are you seriously saying, after all that we've gone through, we shouldn't build the new stadium? Just leave the bulldozed area as it is? Scrap the idea and build houses and offices? The centrepiece of the NDP regeneration that the Council and Spurs have gone to enormous lengths to implement, just forgotten. How the media and oppo fans would love that. Don't see that happening. The stadium is needed, and hopefully, eventually will be built and it's more important than any transfer business we do this window.

If I was the owner of the Archway business and saw how Tottenham have poured money down the drain on Rebrov, Bentley, Jenas etc etc, I'd feel justified in squeezing as much out of the club as possible.

I expect it would be exactly the same if the situation was reversed and Archway were trying to buy land from Tottenham. I can't see Daniel L doing that on the cheap!
We didn't pour money down the drain on Jenas. It's an absolute insult to JJ to compare him to the other two. Jenas was worth the money we spent on him, played many games for us, and and a key part of our only trophy winning side this century, and the team that pushed up the league table under Jol, and was unlucky not to get CL in 2006. It's unfortunate that he picked up injuries and so we didn't get more use of him, but he certainly wasn't money down the drain

The new stadium is going to cost half a billion pounds. We currently break even, give or take a few million. How do you think that new expenditure is going to impact on a team that is struggling to keep pace with the top 4?
The stadium pays for itself in the medium term, just as it does for other clubs who have the fan base to support it.
The issue is whether it effects squad funding in the shoe term - it might. It seemed to have this effect at Woolwich for instance. Though our situation may or may not be different.

The stadium pays for itself in the medium term, just as it does for other clubs who have the fan base to support it.
The issue is whether it effects squad funding in the shoe term - it might. It seemed to have this effect at Woolwich for instance. Though our situation may or may not be different.
We've been preparing for ages. Had a net spend of zero in transfer windows over a few years now. We've prepared for any short-medium term cash flow issues.

Was the 11th Jul. So 3 weeks last Fri. So Archway have until 22nd Aug on that basis.
Cheers for info NN. But what made me post that piece on CPOs is that if I read it right, and I could easily be wrong, the council could have already served an NT (Notice to Treat) and moved the procedure along somewhat.

Or maybe they're going down the GVD (General Vested Declaration) route.

Last edited:
Cheers for info NN. But what made me post that piece on CPOs is that if I read it right, and I could easily be wrong, the council could have already served an NT (Notice to Treat) and moved the procedure along somewhat.

Or maybe they're going down the GVD (General Vested Declaration) route.
For fuck sake, when do we get to the bit where we bulldoze the bastards down?

From a purely playing aspect, having a "regular" sized pitch is going to make a big difference. We won't have to deal with making our way through cheese grater sized holes in defense, and I think just that will bump us up one to two positions in the table.

We didn't pour money down the drain on Jenas. It's an absolute insult to JJ to compare him to the other two. Jenas was worth the money we spent on him, played many games for us, and and a key part of our only trophy winning side this century, and the team that pushed up the league table under Jol, and was unlucky not to get CL in 2006. It's unfortunate that he picked up injuries and so we didn't get more use of him, but he certainly wasn't money down the drain

I agree that he's not in the same league as the other two and perhaps I didn't pick the best third example but I'm never going to be convinced that Jenas was good value for money at £8m in 2005, nor that he was what we needed for the team in subsequent years, despite the occasional great performance. Just my opinion.

From a purely playing aspect, having a "regular" sized pitch is going to make a big difference. We won't have to deal with making our way through cheese grater sized holes in defense, and I think just that will bump us up one to two positions in the table.

Gives Dawson and Rose more space to defend which I am sure they will cherish because if there is one thing they are good at, it is defending.

So are you seriously saying, after all that we've gone through, we shouldn't build the new stadium? Just leave the bulldozed area as it is? Scrap the idea and build houses and offices? The centrepiece of the NDP regeneration that the Council and Spurs have gone to enormous lengths to implement, just forgotten. How the media and oppo fans would love that. Don't see that happening. The stadium is needed, and hopefully, eventually will be built and it's more important than any transfer business we do this window.
No, I'm not saying that at all. But don't think it will translate into instant success on the pitch.

Last edited:
Are there plans to increase the pitch dimensions then ?
I think I'm right in saying that apart from the Boelyn ground, WHL has the smallest playing area in the prem. it's even smaller than Loftus road (now they are back in the Prem) I think the optical illusions are more apparent with places like Loftus Road (no runoff) and The Boelyn (huge runoff). Man City,I think,have the largest playing area.
Not convinced that increasing the playing area will benefit us an awful lot, unless we are going to be using the flanks to a greater degree. It maybe why Poch will favour the Highline game as did AVB before him. If we do get caught, then there is not as much pitch left to recover/reclaim. On the flip side to this though is the argument that the opposition won't have as much pitch to cover if they do win the ball.
On a purely simplistic view, having the ball on the ground and playing from the back should favour teams that have larger pitch dimensions I would have thought.

I do admire your staunch support of players who have not quite delivered, or on the wane...and I mean that. I am all for supporting the players we have but Jenas was often a passenger, and the kind that needed a piss stop every five miles.

I agree that he's not in the same league as the other two and perhaps I didn't pick the best third example but I'm never going to be convinced that Jenas was good value for money at £8m in 2005, nor that he was what we needed for the team in subsequent years, despite the occasional great performance. Just my opinion.
Fair enough. I don't think he cost as much as £8m and I am convinced he was good value for what we paid for him. He was a young upcoming English talent, served us well, and got unlucky with injuries.

Fair enough. I don't think he cost as much as £8m and I am convinced he was good value for what we paid for him. He was a young upcoming English talent, served us well, and got unlucky with injuries.
I think Jenas was about 7million. I remember at the time that the Geordies in my local were gutted that they were losing him. He was a victim of a number of mitigating circumstances during his time with us. The injuries have already been mentioned, he was also affected by the uncertainty at management level from joining under Jol to leaving under AVB we had 4 different managers plus 2 stints by Clive Allen as caretaker in 7 years. When he was on his game and fit he was a huge talent. Could of easily been a favourite amongst fans had he had more luck and playing time.

Fair enough. But what you are saying is, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that it's not as as important as any transfer business we conduct this summer. That seems to be the point you were originally arguing with me?

Yes, I suppose am. I think it is crucial that the manager gets most of his targets, and the players sold are the ones he thinks he can do without. When the upheaval of the stadium finally happens, we really don't need an unsettled squad and an under pressure manager. Woolwich went very quiet in the transfer market while their place was built and paid for, and we don't have the luxury of simply moving from one ground to another. I expect our transfer business, during the redevelopment, to be equally quiet. So the next two summer windows before the move are extremely important IMO.

Are there plans to increase the pitch dimensions then ?
I think I'm right in saying that apart from the Boelyn ground, WHL has the smallest playing area in the prem. it's even smaller than Loftus road (now they are back in the Prem) I think the optical illusions are more apparent with places like Loftus Road (no runoff) and The Boelyn (huge runoff). Man City,I think,have the largest playing area.
Not convinced that increasing the playing area will benefit us an awful lot, unless we are going to be using the flanks to a greater degree. It maybe why Poch will favour the Highline game as did AVB before him. If we do get caught, then there is not as much pitch left to recover/reclaim. On the flip side to this though is the argument that the opposition won't have as much pitch to cover if they do win the ball.
On a purely simplistic view, having the ball on the ground and playing from the back should favour teams that have larger pitch dimensions I would have thought.
Big diference:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22646131

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom