New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Anybody else prefer the original designs for the ground ? not to say I don't like the final design ofcourse

tottenham_new_stadium07.jpg

tottenham_new_stadium02.jpg

So I guess Blanchfower's theory is the best - the club don't want them to sell as STs...... Trouble is, then there'll be a hole in the south stand for half the matches - because we won't sell out 62K tickets for every game - and won't that look fucking glorious? The Tottenham kop with empty seats.
Yeah? That would surprise me. I figured it'd be nigh impossible to get tickets the first two seasons. Am I way off?
(I agree with your point though of course. Terrible to have the centre of the South stand a dead zone).

Yep, as my phase finally draws close and I look at the choice available why the fuck would I drop £2200 on the 1882 seats when there are much better views available at lower prices North, East & West?

Are you listening THFC? I don't want programmes and peanuts, and I don't want to sit in the plonkers section of the South.... and it looks like I'm not the only one.

So I guess Blanchfower's theory is the best - the club don't want them to sell as STs...... Trouble is, then there'll be a hole in the south stand for half the matches - because we won't sell out 62K tickets for every game - and won't that look fucking glorious? The Tottenham kop with empty seats.

Well hopefully you are right but I’ve a feeling these tickets will sell out every league game.

We have filled Wembley with far more than 62k on numerous occasions so the demand for 62k is there amongst Spurs fans.

But the only way that these tickets are either non existent or reduced in number for 2019/2020 season is if we fail to regularly sell them this coming season.

Yeah? That would surprise me. I figured it'd be nigh impossible to get tickets the first two seasons. Am I way off?
(I agree with your point though of course. Terrible to have the centre of the South stand a dead zone).

No. We will have about 8-9k for general sale each match. We have sold 30k+ to non ST holders to some games this season.

Just got off the phone with my old man, he said purchasing tickets was a tad stressful but he looks like he has three in block 111, row 12. Maybe a little too low down for my liking but my Mum likes being by the pitch so why not? Very pleased for them... I don't know if their health will mean they will be able to do another year so this is an excellent result for them.

Oh and for me as my Nephew is away for the first game in August so I might get to go for the opening game :)

Just out of interest, I looked at the interactive seating plan and I can still see my Dad's seats still available... do they take some time to go grey? I thought it would be instant? Saying that i'm not logged in just viewing as a normal member of the public.

All sorted, absolutely buzzing.

Row 11 in Block 523. Should be an excellent view of the play, and of you lot in the South Stand in full voice.

We're the Shelf Side Tottenham!!!

Tensions in English football between age-old tribalism and modern corporatism were exposed, and not for the last time, when a handful of people stood in delight as Liverpool scored on Tuesday night and, briefly, all hell broke loose.

Suddenly, like vigilantes, outraged Manchester City fans were rounding up any infiltrators. Stewards were summoned to hurl them out. Him! Her! That one!

A woman was roundly abused. I saw one City fan throw a jab as a man, apparently outed as a Liverpool supporter and certainly not denying it, was forcefully bundled out hollering “do you know how much I paid for this seat?”

And that mention of cost perhaps takes us to the heart of the problem. This City team do not come cheap. Someone has to pay for them.

Those heated, padded seats that form the Tunnel Club go for at least £249 for a match, as much as £15,000 a season for the full package, because you are not just watching a football game.

“A premium networking space, perfect for you and your clients with a concierge and dedicated account manager catering for your every need,” as the blurb on City’s website goes.

The pitch is obvious; this is not just about the hardcore City-ites but the corporate market. And if that is the allure, no one can expect them to be fanatics, or even fans. After a glass of chilled sauvignon blanc, it may be the only game they watch in their life.

The rules in premium hospitality are not like the rest of the Etihad, where fans are advised that “the club does not have a neutral area and visiting supporters identified in the home areas may face ejection”.

In hospitality, the requirements are only that you should not wear club colours and behave respectfully. Does standing up to applaud a goal, even on a night of Champions League tension, break that requirement?

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F911baf90-3e6d-11e8-b8eb-a2b1e54e4e88.jpg

Tunnel Club seats can set spectators back up to £15,000 per seasonVICTORIA HAYDN/MANCHESTER CITY FC VIA GETTY IMAGES
Someone in the Tunnel Club seats was wearing a half-and-half scarf, positively advertising his neutrality as well as committing the ultimate football fashion faux pas. If he dares to clap a piece of sublime skill from the away team — Cristiano Ronaldo’s overhead kick recently prompted a standing ovation from Juventus fans — and enough City diehards around him take furious offence, does he deserve to be thrown out?

Of course, having away fans in the home section is hardly a new phenomenon — and most know, or learn painfully, that is probably wise to be discrete about it. In another section of the Etihad, a Liverpool fan was beaten up for revealing his allegiance, the blows caught on video.

Corporate seating is hardly new either but it does grow in scale, ambition and cost, with Tottenham Hotspur hoping to raise the bar with their own “H Club” including “provision for guests to store their personal vintage wines, cognacs and liquors in a purpose-built, temperature-controlled on-site reserve”. A long way from Bovril.

The Premier League increasingly attracts more tourist fans, as we can see from the seemingly thriving industry of half-and-half scarves on a big match day.

It is necessary, if you are proper football fan, to say that this is A Terrible Thing; the end of real football as we know it. The half-and-half is the ultimate symbol of naffness.

Yet plenty of English fans are football tourists, or would like to be; flying off to Barcelona, Borussia Dortmund, even Buenos Aires to savour a different ground, different culture and to experience someone else’s passion.

I have no intention of buying a half-and-half scarf, and look on befuddled as others do. But if I take my kids to, say, Real Madrid against Atletico, and they want one as a memento, is that such a terrible crime? If they clap the wrong goal, should we expect to be set upon and thrown out?

English football wrestles with the old and new; pride in its rowdy tribalism and what is called, sneeringly by some, the “gentrification”. As I have argued previously, if that means a stadium is safe for my wife and kids, the urinals are not overflowing and racism is at least not overt, then I struggle to see that it is such a bad thing.

Some fear dilution of passion. A debate about safe standing in the top divisions, which may also make prices more affordable, is not going away even if Tracey Crouch, the sports minister, rejected this week a proposal from West Bromwich Albion to install a section of rail-seats that can become a standing area.

It would be good to think that we could accommodate those who want to stand without putting off the growing number of families, but no politician or administrator wants that on his/her watch.

We should note that we are a very long way from the bad old days that some of us remember all too vividly. There were only two arrests at the Etihad for what was, generally, a magnificent occasion. City insist that the Tunnel Club has been a great success.

But football does still operate by different rules — for better and for worse — when fans expressing momentary delight can generate such fury, be hit and told that they brought it all on themselves.

These are not, as some City fans insist, the complaints of someone who never pays for a seat. I am a season-ticket holder at Queens Park Rangers (not entirely by choice, but it’s a long story).

For a cup game, we opted for a change of scene from the family stand and went down to the other end where, stuck between two groups, we had to listen to one woman being told she was a slag who should get her tits out.

Hardly an unprecedented experience at a football ground, I know. And while tensions may have been particularly high on Tuesday, a few days earlier at the Manchester derby a City fan patrolled the Tunnel Club seats threatening to sort out anyone who even hinted at United sympathies, which is not something mentioned in the glossy brochure.

Undoubtedly the game has changed, but those who worry about it becoming too sanitised? I think we may still have some way to go.

Back
Top Bottom