New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If they made it worthwhile to spend and extra 30-45 minutes in and around the ground post-game it would massively improve congestion.

Maybe have discounted beer or merchandise post match etc...

This is actually a really good point. I guess it's tough because not so many spurs fans actually live in close proximity to the ground. Plus once the football crowds have gone home it's not exactly the most safe place to hang about.

Compare that to Highbury/upper street and the Kings Road/Fulham Broadway. The one thing I'm jealous of about those clubs is that you can actually continue you afternoon/night pretty close to the grounds. Hopefully the regen will help with this.

This is actually a really good point. I guess it's tough because not so many spurs fans actually live in close proximity to the ground. Plus once the football crowds have gone home it's not exactly the most safe place to hang about.

Compare that to Highbury/upper street and the Kings Road/Fulham Broadway. The one thing I'm jealous of about those clubs is that you can actually continue you afternoon/night pretty close to the grounds. Hopefully the regen will help with this.

Tiger Tiger WHL.

Even things like having a couple of players signing autographs after the game at a designated place.

If it means people disperse at different times then it's a win.

I'm quite lucky in that i go northbound from WHL, so there isn't really a queue, but going back into london from WHL station is just ridiculous.

Latest from the Trust on the train stations

Representatives from THST met with the London Borough of Haringey and Transport for London (TfL) on Tuesday 17 February 2015 to look at detailed proposals for White Hart Lane station. The station project is part of a wider Haringey proposal for north Tottenham known as ‘High Road West Regeneration’. This includes an allocated sum of money, c.£8.5 million, for the WHL station approach. The station itself is separate to that and is expected to cost c.£15m, with funding for that yet to be secured by TfL.

The plan is to move the station entrance & ticket office to midway along the current 200 metre platform with staircases going up both ways on both sides. There will be a pedestrian tunnel through under the arches, and this means they'll need to close the line for a couple of weeks at some point. This will also provide a public access tunnel for the Penshurst Road estate (behind the old Railway Tavern pub).

All parties recognise the need to keep good access from the station to WHL (the road) both for bus interchange and for the traders along WHL. We have learnt separately that the owners of the Railway Tavern, which has been closed for 10 years or more, have plans to re-open it as and when the new stadium is built.

More importantly, TfL recognise that trying to use a single point of entry for both southbound and northbound supporters after matches could cause problems so they are looking at providing a match day route for northbound around the north end of the station, effectively as it is now but with the added staircases to platform level at the midway point. This would deal with the current issue of congestion at the north end of the northbound platform caused by the single staircase at that end at present.

In terms of timing, although TfL is due to take over the line from Liverpool St to Enfield and Cheshunt this summer and incorporate it within the London Overground network, best estimates for station redevelopment are not until summer 2018 and even that could be dependent on the stadium development. TfL’s preference would be to do the work during the season THFC are 'away' but if not it would probably be c.July before the following season starts.

We also asked about Northumberland Park, that stays with Network Rail for now though there's clearly some interaction between the rail operators. The plan there is for a third track, a station upgrade at some point with a tunnel or bridge to replace the level crossing, hopefully Crossrail 2 in the distant future but TfL once again ruled out any possibility of running the Victoria Line there (and gave reasonably convincing operational reasons for that). Haringey would also like to regenerate the route from NP to the new stadium in due course.

We came away from an open and constructive meeting with a better understanding for what’s planned and the feeling that Haringey and TfL recognise supporters as key stakeholders they will come back to as things develop.

Sounds like the big plan is for an extra staircase at WHL Station and maybe a new track and station upgrade at Northumberland Park. Really can't see how this is going to help alleviate the massive queues at WHL after a game.
As the staircase is the main bottleneck at WHL station, building another one so that the northbound and southbound queues can be separated out does seem like a sensible idea.

However as Burko Burko says, by far and away the most effective way of relieving the congestion would be to encourage people not to try and leave Tottenham as soon as they bloody can! Failing that, if it were easier to use the other options, i.e. Northumberland Park, Seven Sisters and to a lesser extent Tottenham Hale, then not so many people would flock to WHL station. Ever tried to get a bus down the High Road to Seven Sisters straight after a match?! I'm sure something could be sorted out with a fleet of buses and some clever traffic management... but that would require efficient co-operation between TfL, the club and the police, so there's a fat chance of that ever happening.

As the staircase is the main bottleneck at WHL station, building another one so that the northbound and southbound queues can be separated out does seem like a sensible idea.

However as Burko Burko says, by far and away the most effective way of relieving the congestion would be to encourage people not to try and leave Tottenham as soon as they bloody can! Failing that, if it were easier to use the other options, i.e. Northumberland Park, Seven Sisters and to a lesser extent Tottenham Hale, then not so many people would flock to WHL station. Ever tried to get a bus down the High Road to Seven Sisters straight after a match?! I'm sure something could be sorted out with a fleet of buses and some clever traffic management... but that would require efficient co-operation between TfL, the club and the police, so there's a fat chance of that ever happening.

Monorail??

Monorail??
margevsthemonorail.jpg

If they made it worthwhile to spend and extra 30-45 minutes in and around the ground post-game it would massively improve congestion.

Maybe have discounted beer or merchandise post match etc...

I always end up in Bricklayers after a game so I don't have to do any queuing. It means with evening games I don't get home until 2am, but I rather have a pint or 2 then having to wait to get on a train and then stand on a crowded Victoria line train. The location of our ground is shit, maybe the club should take on shit load of shuttle buses that will go to Finsbury Park, Wood Green/Alexandra Palace and Enfield maybe stopping at places like Palmers Green and Bush Hill Park to help with congestion in the Tottenham/Seven Sisters areas.

The shuttle buses should be free or £1 at most you will have to book your place on them and will be allowed to use the bus lanes. Where the buses will leave from and at what time is hurdle to get over as well as making sure the correct people get on the correct buses quickly. It's just an idea, but I think we need to come up with something that will spread the congestion out over a much wider area, instead of bottle knecking

Any news from Archway or we still 8 days away from yet another appeal ?
I think the window for the appeal will go to 25th March, from what I've read on other forums.

What might be good news, is that it may be the case Haringey can and have submitted the necessary paperwork to start 'eviction proceedings'.

It's very hard to get solid information on this. We should know a lot more by the end of the month I guess.

I always end up in Bricklayers after a game so I don't have to do any queuing. It means with evening games I don't get home until 2am, but I rather have a pint or 2 then having to wait to get on a train and then stand on a crowded Victoria line train. The location of our ground is shit, maybe the club should take on shit load of shuttle buses that will go to Finsbury Park, Wood Green/Alexandra Palace and Enfield maybe stopping at places like Palmers Green and Bush Hill Park to help with congestion in the Tottenham/Seven Sisters areas.

The shuttle buses should be free or £1 at most you will have to book your place on them and will be allowed to use the bus lanes. Where the buses will leave from and at what time is hurdle to get over as well as making sure the correct people get on the correct buses quickly. It's just an idea, but I think we need to come up with something that will spread the congestion out over a much wider area, instead of bottle knecking
Actually I am sure that there is a plan to introduce shuttle buses on match days. I read about it somewhere.
If memory serves me right .

Transport and parking is absolutely the main reason I don't get to many games anymore. Midweek games in particular often end up being 4+ hours of travel (including parking/walking) and I only live in Hertfordshire.

Transport and parking is absolutely the main reason I don't get to many games anymore. Midweek games in particular often end up being 4+ hours of travel (including parking/walking) and I only live in Hertfordshire.
Haringey Borough are very much complicit in the problem, because of their insane parking regulations and enforcement. The matchday CPZ has resulted in thousands of empty, unusable parking spaces on all the streets within a mile of the ground, especially since the CPZ got a lot bigger around the end of last season. People end up having to park a 25-30 minute walk away, or having to pay £8-15 for a private car park. So they end up using public transport instead and it makes the queues even worse.

Good idea. But who is going to pay for it? unless you meant punters pay on entry,as on a normal bus?

Back
Top Bottom